The Best Time To Cut Firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are over analyzing. That stuff shoulda already been cold.

There is a small party store near me that has limited cooler space. The owner knocks 3 bucks off a case if you buy it warm. I figured I could put the savings towards gas and oil..

Here in Michigan I like to cut after the hunting season is over. January to March. I don't care to be out in the woods when it is hot, full of skeeters and ticks or when the poison ivy is thick as a flock of fat kids at the local Dairy Queen!
I save my "nice" weather for gardening, yard work and relaxing under the umbrella with a pitcher of margaritas or a bucket of icy cold beers.

Heck Bushmans, it's still March and we've already got skeeters (ain't seen no ticks, but wouldn't surprise me) and poison ivy (and the fat kids are checkin' out the Dairy Queen). We've already had two weeks of "relaxing under the umbrella with a bucket of icy cold beers" weather 'round here. I'll normally spend at least some time makin' firewood until mid-May or so... but, this year March has been too hot for that. Once that mercury reaches 75[sup]o[/sup] I shut-down the saw and splitter... looks like I'm gonna' haf'ta suffer a bit this year.

I took to star gazin' the other night while rollin' the black cat bones and readin' a tea leaf. "SIGNS" says to me, GO FISHIN" and so I did.

Man I killed 'em !! I had to walk backward and cross my trail 3 times to the left before I chose the secret bait that really called 'em in.

It's all in the "sign"...so last nite, while swillin' copious amounts of cold beer and pokin' the fish bones in the fire, I took note of the position of heranus and decided I better go to the mushroom woods this mornin'...

I get your question, but I figure that wood is gonna dry after it's cut and split, more so during hot weather. I know a lot of folks that put a lot of stock in what the almanac says, but I think you can take a lot of it with a grain of salt. I plant stuff when it will grow, pick it when it's ready, and I cut wood whenever I can.

Point taken. I thought for a long time that the gardening charts gave people what they didn't already had: discipline. For instance, if the almanac said it was the best time to pull weeds, and one guy went out and did it but the guy next door didn't who would overcome weeds in their garden? I worked for a contractor who put everything on a schedule. I would help him bid jobs then we would put it on the schedule. It would say Monday: Put down plates and joists. Tuesday: Sheet floor and lay out walls and backfill..and so forth. He'd say, does that look reasonable?" I'd say, "Hell Yeah." And we were perpetually ahead of the game. Even with rainouts, there was more than enough cushion to deplete our stock holdings in the G. Heileman Brewing Company.

The best time to cut live (green) trees is when the moisture content is the lowest. I don't need no star gazin' to tell me when that is... in this part of the country it's from New Years Day to mid-February, some years a bit later. The second best time is whenever you can... and I still don't need no star gazin' to tell me when that is. I don't put much stock in an almanack... any guess will be correct 50% of the time, an educated guess will be correct 75% of the time. I'm guessin' I can guess as well as any almanack.

What interests me about the almanac is why any one would decide in the first place there is a best reason to cut wood or set posts aside from what's immediately obvious. You are doing what works for you, and I don't argue with success. Less time in argument is more time in the woodshed honing my chops. I want to nail down something specific. Try Googling, "Firewood cutting timing almanac" or something similar today and you won't get much. Try it in a week, and you'll probably come back here.

The Farmers Almanack is predicting drought conditions for parts of the Midwest this year. Oh my, what a revelation... the drought started in the south west a couple years ago and has been steadily moving northeast ever since. Now that took some real serious star gazin' to come up with that one. Heck, I was predicting that before the almanack. Now if my neighbor predicts no drought, you can bet your azz that one of us will be correct.

I do know they base their regional weather predictions on 250 years of known patterns and use an average. We live one day at a time and filter that through our own forty-one or fifty-four years' experience.

When your chain is sharp!.....................:D

*Ding* nailed it! Another Torpedo of Truth with the Fish.

There is a small party store near me that has limited cooler space. The owner knocks 3 bucks off a case if you buy it warm. I figured I could put the savings towards gas and oil..

Or you could buy ice. We used to get Stag Longnecks (Yes that is capitalized. It's a proper name) for $8.15 per case then you got $2.35 back for returning your bottles.

If it's cold, I should be home burning it...;)

That's what I said.

IMHO it's all about the comfort of the scrounger. .

See MN Guns' entry above.

The best time for me this year was during the month of January. I pulled in 18 truckloads of big rounds ready to be split, starting in April. I've never seen such fabulous weather in January for cutting firewood. Most of what I brought in was ash, locust, hard maple, and mulberry. Helped a logger clear a tree line.

Ditto. Roger that.

As a firewood scrounger the best time to me for cutting is when its: free, good access, and the closer to home the better!

Ripper Rep sent from the Scrounger Council.

the cooler the better, as long as the bar oil will flow. I take it as it comes.

Was you talkin' about the Beer or the Weather?

BWAHAHAHAHA She got me once at her house. She was good at that stuff. Never saw it coming. As it was, I conceded.

Yeah, me too. Like I said--Married. Have you heard of a lesson you'll never forget? She taught me a lesson I'll never remember.

You bored ? :msp_tongue:

No, here I get to talk to the best minds from sea to shining sea in the greatest country in the history of the world.

I believe the best time is around 1 or 2 am, it lets the neighbors know i'll have wood for sale soon :D

Heck Bushmans, it's still March and we've already got skeeters (ain't seen no ticks, but wouldn't surprise me) and poison ivy (and the fat kids are checkin' out the Dairy Queen). We've already had two weeks of "relaxing under the umbrella with a bucket of icy cold beers" weather 'round here. I'll normally spend at least some time makin' firewood until mid-May or so... but, this year March has been too hot for that. Once that mercury reaches 75[sup]o[/sup] I shut-down the saw and splitter... looks like I'm gonna' haf'ta suffer a bit this year.

We perched at 82-85 degrees for highs this week through yesterday. I do have something itchy on my arm but I haven't been in the wood cutting woods in two weeks. I did some clearing of the back yard fence row and may have come across some PI there. I saved two big logs in the woods to test out my 044/046 once she is fully assembled (picked up crank seals yesterday) so I will be out one more time at the very least until next winter. My lawn is in dire need of a trim and just before the weather turned I pulled the engine on the mower for new piston/rings and a valve job. I scrambled all day yesterday to put it back together. Late yesterday i turned it over but no fire. I think I have something wired wrong. When a mower hangs around for 30 plus years it gets modified so much that original diagrams don't always cover it. Today will be trouble shooting day!
Weather is back to normal now. Rainy and cool. 60s for highs.

Back In January?

Hard to believe, but this year I cut more wood in January than I will in any other month. Normally, it's too cold and the snow is too deep. However, this year the cutting conditions in January were perfect. No mud, not too cold, ground frozen, dry weather for the most part, and crisp air. We may necver see another January like it.

I brought in 22 trukloads of hardwood rounds in 26 January working days, enough for me to split and stack for the rest of the entire year. The rounds that I am now splitting will be dry enough to burn this fall. That's almost unheard of. Most of the time I have to cut in early spring and then wait six months after splitting prior to burning.

Drying conditions around here are also perfect. Wind and sun are causing the rounds to check up on the ends much faster than normal, and that makes splitting even easier.

Other than blowdowns and in-the-ways I don't start cutting until after the leaves have dropped in the fall and finish up before the sap starts to rise in the spring. Then I try to get splitting and stacking done before the blackflies arrive, usually in mid May although this year was weird.

I think the winter time is the best time to cut firewood because it is frozen and cuts better and you won't get to sweaty and hot when you are splitting it too.

I think the winter time is the best time to cut firewood because it is frozen and cuts better and you won't get to sweaty and hot when you are splitting it too.

--winter is pretty nice for firewooding, as long as you have access. Not only more pleasant cutting, but the sap is down in the roots and the wood comes half "seasoned" that way.

--winter is pretty nice for firewooding, as long as you have access. Not only more pleasant cutting, but the sap is down in the roots and the wood comes half "seasoned" that way.

Exactly Zogger. I have access to the snowmobile trails and I trim them for our local snowmobile club and all the wood that I get I haul it away in the dogsled behind the snowmobile. Sometimes I bring the brush with me too for big ol' bon fires :rock:

Rhetoric

"Asked and answered"

This question is in the genre of rhetorical, or, if chosen: "may I". As in : "may I have sex this morning", or, "more porridge please sir", or, "can I take cut wood dropped beside a public road", " is the penny picked up in the parking lot mine", or...(you may fill in your blank).

It is a query that needs and has no, nada reply in spite of the more rational posts from users of firewood. The Old Farmer's Almanak (N.B. sp.) is neither old, nor farmer's, nor an almanac. It is based on the marketing of entrails, tea leaves, caterpillar waste, squirrel seeds, and slot machine stats. The OFA record is abysmal...but fun to read while enjoying your time on the pot.

VOX CLAMANTIS EN DESIERTO

Back