The biggest one I have ever cut.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chads

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
THe Insurance company gave me a few choices on this tree and if I wanted insurance to cover the property it had to go.
It is a troublesome cottonwood tree anyway being messy and full if fluff in the spring and next to the garage.
After getting a few estimates that were out of sight. I decided to save a few thousand bucks and hired a helper to get it down.
I took a few of the large limbs off the back side so we could get it to fall the right way and miss the garage.
THe ash to the right was dying and it came down too.
20150324_121542.jpg

Not sure if it was hollow we chained it before cutting it.
THe 460 was doing pretty good with the 36" bar and was going to town till it spit the starter rope out on the back cut and it got cut off.
Being that far along I had to keep going. It stalled or ran out of gas and I had trouble getting the bar all the way out without it running.
I had to remove the head and finish it off with the Makita 6401.
IMG953905.jpg

20150324_121614.jpg

20150324_121700.jpg

I rolled one of the rounds to the street and painted free wood on it.
A few minutes later the neighbor dropped by with a 1/2 ton pickup and hauled 5 loads that night.
A few weeks and a bunch of rain later he said he had gotten 11 or 12 loads out. A few other people pulled 2 trucks and a big trailer or two out.
I ended up with the big rounds from the fork down that no one could get on the truck or really even move without a tractor.
I'm guessing they were about 3-400 lb.
THe 460 got a new starter cover and was good to go again so I went over and started to noodle them up.
I took pic as I was waiting for the neighbor to return from unloading.
20150416_150654.jpg

He got 4 one layer loads of the blocks that day but the truck was not rounded over since he was 4 houses down he just made more trips so he could just slide them off easily.
THe blocks look small but after handling a couple alone we opted to do the rest together.
I wonder how many cord they got from the tree.
Chad

Have a couple that size in the yard. They were dropped with the feller buncher though... the hell with hand felling!

That was a big one for sure. Those cottonwoods seem to get big. I have two in the back of my yard and one is probably 4 feet DBH.

I have about 3-4 years ahead and there are about 30 ash trees along the fence on that property that are dead /dying , I will cut the totally dead ones first to save the rest as long as I can ,its only about 2 miles from my house and easy to get to.
I figure it would rot before I get to all of it. This guy is out of work and was on his last bit of wood. He said he goes thru about 600 a month in fuel oil if no wood. I don't have a splitter and he offered to let me use splitte when I need it.I think it worked out pretty good.
Around here cottonwood is hard to even give away I was happy
to not haul it off to the mulch place.
Looking at his pile I am guessing 4-6 cord. We cut down to 2" so there is a bunch of limb wood.
Chad

Back