The Breakfast Thread - morning chow call, brunch n beyond! ~

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fresh from the oven.

Chocolate cherry coconut almond banana bread. :happybanana:

IMG_20160227_102208_zpsxtat83bh.jpg

Fresh from the oven.

Chocolate cherry coconut almond banana bread. :happybanana:

IMG_20160227_102208_zpsxtat83bh.jpg
Good stuff!

My wife does Blueberry/Banana/Pecan and Cranberry/Banana/Chocolate Chip, that looks almost identical. Walking into the kitchen and smelling it, puts a smile on my face.
Eating a warm hunk with a pat of cold butter, is the best.

Good stuff!

My wife does Blueberry/Banana/Pecan and Cranberry/Banana/Chocolate Chip, that looks almost identical. Walking into the kitchen and smelling it, puts a smile on my face.
Eating a warm hunk with a pat of cold butter, is the best.

Excellent! :)

Have to admit, though, I prefer mine cold. For me all desserts are best when cold, including cookies, whch should be kept in the fridge.

Another Easter brunch special. Cretons (corton, gorton, frenchie pork spread) along with its close cousin the tourtiere, is served between Christmas and Easter. A regional dish, most families have their own recipe usually altering the spice blend or adding a binder.

Cretons

1 lbs ground pork (the fatter the better)
1 onion chopped fine
1 cup of whole milk
1t salt
½ t nutmeg
½ t ground cloves
½ t all spice
¼ t pepper
Leaf lard (optional)

Simmer pork, onion, salt, milk and lard (if using) in a medium sauce pan for 2-3 hours. Stir often and break up lumps. At the end of the cooking process, you should have nothing left but meat and fat. Let cool and add remaining spices. Pack into small ramekins, cover and refrigerate. You can also freeze this stuff. Serve cold or at room temp, spread into toast points or crackers. Wicked good!

Notes* this is an old school recipe. Modern store pork is too lean to really make an authentic version. You can add leaf lard to boost up the fat content. The more fat the smoother and more luxouroius the spread. Leaf lard is rendered from the fat surrounding pigs kidneys. It does not taste “porky” and I use it for cooking and pie crusts. You can find it at local farmers markets or order on line. Depending on how often you break up the meat during the cooking, the spread can be a little grainy and tough to spread. If you want a finer spread, you can give it a whirl in a food processer. I think good artesian breads, sour dough or a baguette go best with cretons but good old white toast works just fine.

Classic non-alcohol beverage for kids and adults

The egg cream

1 8-10oz hiball glass
1 finger width Fox’s u-bet chocolate syrup
1 finger width whole milk
8 oz cold seltzer water
Mix and enjoy before the fizz falls

Notes* u-bet chocolate syrup is traditional in this drink but you can get away with Hershey. U-bet is available at most stop and shop. Good seltzer is a must here. Zazz is the best I have tried but Polar is also good. If you have good water, you can make your own seltzer with a soda stream machine.

got in some yard eggs today, here is breakfast fare pushed just a bit beyond Brunch Time... yum!

tenderloin and lamb chop re-warmed in butter, w/scallions... yard eggs, and refried red spuds... golden crisp. I could eat meals like this 3 times a day! :)

View attachment 483320

thick flavorful yolks...

View attachment 483321

View attachment 483322
TELL US WHAT YOU HAD FOR BREAKFAST - cooked indoors or outdoors. pix, please! ;)

>Shouldn't we have breakfast thread?

Yes!, why of course... we should. so let's start it off... here is brunch for me today before I went out and finished my kindling project and got back to scrounging -free- wood! :) refried spuds, free range yard eggs, fall garden tomato with sour cream dop and paprika, scallions and raisin bread... put 1 teaspoon of roasted chicken broth just before serving in fry pan.... tay stie!

View attachment 481416

3 yard eggs, over easy, on sausage w/scallions... Menu Item #6, Mountainside Logger's B&B Diner. toast and coffee, unlimited... included there. ;)

Mountainside Logger's B&B Diner, Menu Item #6; $6.95

View attachment 491389

;)

The force of the inner chef Jedi is strong with you BL ... yummm.

Another Easter brunch special. Cretons (corton, gorton, frenchie pork spread) along with its close cousin the tourtiere, is served between Christmas and Easter. A regional dish, most families have their own recipe usually altering the spice blend or adding a binder.

Cretons

1 lbs ground pork (the fatter the better)
1 onion chopped fine
1 cup of whole milk
1t salt
½ t nutmeg
½ t ground cloves
½ t all spice
¼ t pepper
Leaf lard (optional)

Simmer pork, onion, salt, milk and lard (if using) in a medium sauce pan for 2-3 hours. Stir often and break up lumps. At the end of the cooking process, you should have nothing left but meat and fat. Let cool and add remaining spices. Pack into small ramekins, cover and refrigerate. You can also freeze this stuff. Serve cold or at room temp, spread into toast points or crackers. Wicked good!

Notes* this is an old school recipe. Modern store pork is too lean to really make an authentic version. You can add leaf lard to boost up the fat content. The more fat the smoother and more luxouroius the spread. Leaf lard is rendered from the fat surrounding pigs kidneys. It does not taste “porky” and I use it for cooking and pie crusts. You can find it at local farmers markets or order on line. Depending on how often you break up the meat during the cooking, the spread can be a little grainy and tough to spread. If you want a finer spread, you can give it a whirl in a food processer. I think good artesian breads, sour dough or a baguette go best with cretons but good old white toast works just fine.

Reminds me of an old favorite we used to eat on road and ferry trips from the UK to France on vacation, as a kid.

Rillettes. I had no idea how it was made, to me just some darn good pork meat spread on a piece of baguette.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/rustic-pork-rillette

I have never had Rillettes but it looks to be a very similar recipe. I think the main difference is the Rillettes are not made from ground pork thus its texture is more like pulled pork vs. a pate. The ground pork cooked in milk with onion and spices is the basis for creton, tourtiere (pork pie) and a pork stuffing used at Thanksgiving to stuff the neck cavity of a turkey. Most supermarkets around here stock Mailhots cretons. It’s not too bad but it does not have that good layer of fat on top of it like when you make it from scratch. Pork with pork fat, how could it get any better? Add a good baguette.

The rillettes recipes seem mostly to use fresh pork belly. If I can locate some fresh pork belly, I have a honkin’ enterprise meat grinder and I will try to give cretons a go from ground pork belly. It should eliminate the leaf lard. Thanks for your post and the ideas.

Just in time for Evacuation Day.

Irish Soda Bread

3.5 cups AP flour
1 T baking powder
1t baking soda
1t salt
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup raisins (optional)
¼ cup melted butter
1 large egg
1.5 cups buttermilk
1t caraway seeds

Sift flour, baking powder, soda, salt, sugar into a large bowl. Add raisins and caraway seeds. Wisk buttermilk, melted butter and egg in a separate bowl and add to dry ingredients. Stir to combine into rough dough. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead till smooth. Place dough into a buttered #8 cast iron pan. Slice top. Bake 400F for about 45-50 min till a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Notes* Raisins are always optional but you can also use currents (preferred) or sultanas (golden raisins). If you don’t have buttermilk handy, you can make it by combining 1 cup whole milk with 1T white vinegar or lemon juice. If you don’t trust your cast iron, you can put a piece of parchment paper in the bottom. You can also cook the dough ball on a parchment lined sheet pan or you can cut the dough ball in half and place it in prepared loaf pans. If you use loaf pans it will cook quicker.

So...McDonalds has raised the price of their breakfast burritos from $1.00 to $1.45 in the last 12 months. I very much understand inflation but that is exorbitant.

Just in time for Evacuation Day.

Irish Soda Bread

3.5 cups AP flour
1 T baking powder
1t baking soda
1t salt
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup raisins (optional)
¼ cup melted butter
1 large egg
1.5 cups buttermilk
1t caraway seeds

Sift flour, baking powder, soda, salt, sugar into a large bowl. Add raisins and caraway seeds. Wisk buttermilk, melted butter and egg in a separate bowl and add to dry ingredients. Stir to combine into rough dough. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead till smooth. Place dough into a buttered #8 cast iron pan. Slice top. Bake 400F for about 45-50 min till a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Notes* Raisins are always optional but you can also use currents (preferred) or sultanas (golden raisins). If you don’t have buttermilk handy, you can make it by combining 1 cup whole milk with 1T white vinegar or lemon juice. If you don’t trust your cast iron, you can put a piece of parchment paper in the bottom. You can also cook the dough ball on a parchment lined sheet pan or you can cut the dough ball in half and place it in prepared loaf pans. If you use loaf pans it will cook quicker.

Had plenty of that around St Patrick's Day, now if I'd been smart enough to check this thread, I could have made it myself.

Latest posts

Back