The cons of wood heat.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When my wife and I got married lived in a old doublewide with no underpinning the first winter. Electric furnance that blew luke warm air and drafty windows. Thought we would freeze to death and went and got a small woodstove (1000sqft). Wood heat saved our lives and we never turned back. Been wood heat ever since.

One of my cons is that neighbours know I burn. They know I have wood splitters, saws, tractor, firewood wagons and like to run them. My secret to getting out of helping them with firewood again is to work the heck out of them when I'm there and they never ask me back. It's worked perfect twice so far. I don't drink so there is no stops for subs and that usually puts a damper on their day.

When I met my wife, her dad just passed away. He willed the trailer house to her to live in, it was heated with propane. The trailers underskirting was missing in spots and found insulation missing in a lot of places. My propane bill would literally run 1,000 dollars during the winter. We moved out and bought piece of land with an old 20s farm house heated with wood. At first like all farm houses it was really drafty and old newspapers in the walls for insulation. I could not keep this house warm at all. After the remodel totally different home now. Best part is my utility bill is around 100 month. I keep the temp around 68-70 degrees with only one stove most of the time in the utility room. I setup a small fan to the ceiling at the door way of the kitchen. Moves air nicely!!

My wife says it's cold at 78, but wonders why she freezes when she goes to work or friends houses lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread reminds of going to visit my grandparents when I was a kid. They had a wood stove. Jess, my grandpa, liked it hot. He would fill that stove until it was glowing, literally. It is a wonder he didn't burn the house down. We would be outside with snow on the ground trying to cool off. It got so hot that candles about 30-35 ft away from the stove melted and fell over. The candles were those tall skinny candles. I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. It had to be in the mid 90's in his house. Jess loved it, the hotter the better. I'd give anything to sweat through another Saturday afternoon college football game with him in Nov. or Dec. and eat some of that home cooking,,,,rest his soul.

Back