The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get a bit wistful thinking of the first time I ever saw 'em. It was the transfer case on my old Willys wagon. I thought "now what the hell is that... it couldn't be... IT IS... OH NO" and I reckon you can guess how my next couple of days went.

NM, don't be so hard on the junk man. There are just too many variations and oddities to contain it all. I worked at a junk yard while going to school. The most dreaded request was for a part for such and such model of an International truck. International used so many vendors that we had a saying that you could take the door off an International, lean it against the fender, come back next week and it wouldn't fit back on. That said, find a yard that will let you prowl freely and you will likely find what you need.

Ron

there are tons of em, just a matter of convincing the yards to pull it for me, or that they infact do have one... in an international or chevy or dodge... or a 85' they is kinda dumb around here.

i don't care about gear ratio, as long as the bastard fits and goes zoom when i'm done with it.

its like the clark trans escapade, every yard has 17 trucks with a trans or diff that will work, but it doesn't fit their narrow window of knowledge so... "we aint got none" is the standard answer.
If you look on the bottom line of your vin sticker in the driver door should say axle and have a code under it like h9 or something similar if you google the code should be able to tell axle type and ratio etc off it .saves from crawling in the mud to read the tags .

NM, don't be so hard on the junk man. There are just too many variations and oddities to contain it all. I worked at a junk yard while going to school. The most dreaded request was for a part for such and such model of an International truck. International used so many vendors that we had a saying that you could take the door off an International, lean it against the fender, come back next week and it wouldn't fit back on. That said, find a yard that will let you prowl freely and you will likely find what you need.

Ron

Its the shear mind numbing stupidity and laziness of the junk yards around here that bothers me, most won't let you wander, those that do don't keep track of what they have, or worse Pick and Pull, they keep track of the vehicle make and model but not what has come off of it, so chances are within a week everything of use has been stripped, and they charge admission.

If you look on the bottom line of your vin sticker in the driver door should say axle and have a code under it like h9 or something similar if you google the code should be able to tell axle type and ratio etc off it .saves from crawling in the mud to read the tags .

The door sticker is there... but it don't say much anymore, I'll have to get under it and find the casting numbers the hard way, its just an Eaton Rear end, nothing all that fancy. Like I said gear ratios, matter not, splines and bolt pattern are all I care about.

Truck is going to get sold off as soon as its road worthy again, If i need a cdl to pull my trailer might as well get a truck that can pull the excavator as well.

Granted i have no idear where all this money is going to come from.

Its the shear mind numbing stupidity and laziness of the junk yards around here that bothers me, most won't let you wander, those that do don't keep track of what they have, or worse Pick and Pull, they keep track of the vehicle make and model but not what has come off of it, so chances are within a week everything of use has been stripped, and they charge admission.

The door sticker is there... but it don't say much anymore, I'll have to get under it and find the casting numbers the hard way, its just an Eaton Rear end, nothing all that fancy. Like I said gear ratios, matter not, splines and bolt pattern are all I care about.

Truck is going to get sold off as soon as its road worthy again, If i need a cdl to pull my trailer might as well get a truck that can pull the excavator as well.

Granted i have no idear where all this money is going to come from.
I thought your f250 needed one ,i got an ihc one from a 89 2 speed ,and a 68 chevy with 2 speed rears ,the ihc may work KIMG0900.JPG KIMG0901.JPG KIMG0900.JPG KIMG0901.JPG

say what you will about ford, they have almost always got me home

well twice I've needed a tow, once cause the rod that had been knocking for 3 years let go at around 80mph

and the dumper truck when the tranny died, though I would argue it would have made it home, if i wasn't concerned about traffic, 1st gear for 12 miles isn't like a horrible idea...

Anyway, the horrible banging got lots worse today, even had one of the self loader jockeys call and ask if i made it off the island... (actually I wen't and made a 3rd run...)

So's i get homes, and drop the drain plug on the rear end... and this plops out, theres more in there, but I need to find a new diff... so until then...

View attachment 575515

Hey Buddy,

Please Consider something like this:
https://qalo.com/collections/silico...+Proposition&gclid=CLXKrousw9MCFce4wAodVY0FAQ

I've seen bad things happen with metal bands.

My dad never wore his wedding band after the wedding so I am told. He always told me that too many working men had lost their finger with one. I thought I was safe working an office job until I snagged mine on an aluminum stair rail as I was bounding down it. Cut me all the way around and turned the ring into a tear drop before it let go. But wearing it meant a lot to my wife so I had it reshaped and all the edges rounded. Thirty plus years - so far so good. If it was made of something other than a soft metal I could have lost my finger. Ron

kimg0900-jpg.575729

That one looks pretty damned close, think maybe the 2spd motor bolts are the other direction though...

As far as the ring thing, I don't wear safety glasses or chaps either, don't even own steel toed boots, **** happens, seen lots of folks loose fingers, know folks that lost an eye, when its time its time.

granted I still wear a hard hat in the woods... cause them trees don't have watches and like to throw heavy **** at folks what is trying to kill em.

put 150 miles on ye ole dumper truck today, notably that was also 7 loads...

put a new diff in er last thursday. and I think that maybe the diff was bad from the day I bought it cause its never driven that well.

Did loose a spark plug after the first load though, once again the porcelain had come loose from the threaded bit. limped her to the local NAPA borrowed a wrench and bought a new plug only to find out that the rest of em where all loose, but the porcelain hadn't come apart yet.

So not only does the truck ride a whole lot better now that its not hopping from the broken ring gear... runs a lot better too.

Still selling the ****ing thing though.

anyone remember being young dump and clumsy, wrenching on stuff only to find more spare parts or missing bolts/pieces when you were done?

Like how does one end up with multiple trans mount bolts but they are all in?

Anyway, tore apart the brake on muh main saw a few days ago, after waiting on a few parts put it back together today, no spare parts, no missing bolts? Somehow in the last decade or 2 I managed to figure out how to wrench on stuff without making things worse.

anyone remember being young dump and clumsy, wrenching on stuff only to find more spare parts or missing bolts/pieces when you were done?

Like how does one end up with multiple trans mount bolts but they are all in?

Anyway, tore apart the brake on muh main saw a few days ago, after waiting on a few parts put it back together today, no spare parts, no missing bolts? Somehow in the last decade or 2 I managed to figure out how to wrench on stuff without making things worse.
LOL ?? then you must be one of the few people that are called "EXPERTERIENCED", a mix of fortunate & lucky at the same time.... now myself, just that plain dumb luck of a blind squirrel always seeming to find a tree full of nuts in the middle of the north pole.

DUUUUUDE

Tried moving the excavator to a new job yesterday...

only all the trees i was planning on killing, and the stump i was going to get paid to pull, where all gone...

Called and confirmed 2 weeks earlier...

No contract on this one, among other things,

And to top it off all my other jobs are either waiting on permits or on vacation so I can't get ahold of em or move onto it until june.

Tried moving the excavator to a new job yesterday...

only all the trees i was planning on killing, and the stump i was going to get paid to pull, where all gone...

Called and confirmed 2 weeks earlier...

No contract on this one, among other things,

And to top it off all my other jobs are either waiting on permits or on vacation so I can't get ahold of em or move onto it until june.

Wow.

Latest posts

Back