The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wentvto startvthe skidder today after messing with some fuel lones to try and fix a leak...

To preface this its hot, i've already spent half the day falling timber, yesterday was a day off so of course i spent it mostly hammered and muh allergies are on full allert so im takin some el cheapo allergy stuff that nakes yer hed feel like a helium ballon...

Anyway skidders been sitting out by the main road fer a week and apparently some kids decided to play on it... throttle wide open and stuck and jammed into high gear.... I never leave it in gear so i go ahead and whack the go button without lookin... standing on th ground of course, being the good skidder it is it fires right up and takes off fer the gate...

Didn't get me cause muh grip on the wheel is stronger then some stupid tire but damn.. it twas close

Wentvto startvthe skidder today after messing with some fuel lones to try and fix a leak...

To preface this its hot, i've already spent half the day falling timber, yesterday was a day off so of course i spent it mostly hammered and muh allergies are on full allert so im takin some el cheapo allergy stuff that nakes yer hed feel like a helium ballon...

Anyway skidders been sitting out by the main road fer a week and apparently some kids decided to play on it... throttle wide open and stuck and jammed into high gear.... I never leave it in gear so i go ahead and whack the go button without lookin... standing on th ground of course, being the good skidder it is it fires right up and takes off fer the gate...

Didn't get me cause muh grip on the wheel is stronger then some stupid tire but damn.. it twas close
Anyway to put some safety's on it and possibly a lock on the throttle?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I think the alder won that battle two bars in one day all before noon.
3bd9a1ac4370477250cf32971a734b8e.jpg
4bd6ad075f3b9d9fdc7a3ce173d2692a.jpg

Ever try GB or gem bars? We've been using them on our bunchermoved with good results. Close to a hundred bucks a piece cheaper.
Yeah we use to use Gem but locally they are more expensive, seems like the last ones were under 300.

So just about lost a self loader jockey and self loader today....

No pics no time

one of the fat ceders I've been cutting slipped on him today and ran into the control tower on the self loader... Pushing on the jib control therefore pushing harder on the tower...

By the time the dust settled the Log was parked on the loader seat and the controls where flattened, Jockey was able to jump clear... so no injuries

Had to squeeze the essavator in and lift the log off so he could drive the truck out from under it.

Spent a good hour or more ironing everything back out kinda...

Then another hour or so reloading the truck... had to use chains on 3 of the logs:surprised3: and give a little help with the Essavator for a couple of em.

Pretty skookum load when it was all said and done though, except for a couple little sticks to fill the gaps would have been a 5 log load.

Glad no one was hurt, is it time to maybe think about a grapple and heel here soon so there's not a repeat?

So just about lost a self loader jockey and self loader today....

No pics no time

one of the fat ceders I've been cutting slipped on him today and ran into the control tower on the self loader... Pushing on the jib control therefore pushing harder on the tower...

By the time the dust settled the Log was parked on the loader seat and the controls where flattened, Jockey was able to jump clear... so no injuries

Had to squeeze the essavator in and lift the log off so he could drive the truck out from under it.

Spent a good hour or more ironing everything back out kinda...

Then another hour or so reloading the truck... had to use chains on 3 of the logs:surprised3: and give a little help with the Essavator for a couple of em.

Pretty skookum load when it was all said and done though, except for a couple little sticks to fill the gaps would have been a 5 log load.
https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/hvo/d/grapple-and-heel-rack-with/6222029883.html

I saw that on FB...

There is only an issue with big f'ing logs normally the self loaders do just fine by me. 5 years or so now and this is the first issue while loading, a few issues with sketchy roads but that is different.

Getting a straight truck to come out is nearly impossible around here for a small guy like me, they want multiple loads a day and for weeks at a time... just not what I can produce, both in the type of work I do, and the equipment I have.

That grapple set up would be pretty sweet though, Still probably wouldn't be able to load a straight truck with it though, at least not safely, a 120 just doesn't have enough ass to load logs with, pulp and small stuff sure, anything over 32' and 2' dia gets interesting to pick up anything more then 6' away or so

I have been pondering a 200 class machine... There is a cat 225 loader in OR with a bad main pump they is asking 4500, but my usual argument strikes back (can i keep it in work... no, can I afford to move it... No) so I just ponder and wish, as I'm digging up ******* 5' dia ceder stumps...

I saw that on FB...

There is only an issue with big f'ing logs normally the self loaders do just fine by me. 5 years or so now and this is the first issue while loading, a few issues with sketchy roads but that is different.

Getting a straight truck to come out is nearly impossible around here for a small guy like me, they want multiple loads a day and for weeks at a time... just not what I can produce, both in the type of work I do, and the equipment I have.

That grapple set up would be pretty sweet though, Still probably wouldn't be able to load a straight truck with it though, at least not safely, a 120 just doesn't have enough ass to load logs with, pulp and small stuff sure, anything over 32' and 2' dia gets interesting to pick up anything more then 6' away or so

I have been pondering a 200 class machine... There is a cat 225 loader in OR with a bad main pump they is asking 4500, but my usual argument strikes back (can i keep it in work... no, can I afford to move it... No) so I just ponder and wish, as I'm digging up ******* 5' dia ceder stumps...
The 120's can load logs especially the built up ones. From personal experience our 135 will almost unload the log trailer the issue isn't that it can't pick it up more of it can't get the height to un bunk it. 5 foot cedar depending on how we a 200 class shovel will fight to pickup let alone the ancient 225's. The guy's that get straight trucks in for hire most of the time will pretty much a whole job before they get the truck to come in then load a truck afterwards they'll clean up till the truck returns.

Making me wonder if that grapple set up will fit in the crummy...

But that would also mean driving in Oregon... and for me that's a roll of the dice.

I'd keep going till I found a Hitachi 200, & trade your machine towards it.

Making me wonder if that grapple set up will fit in the crummy...

But that would also mean driving in Oregon... and for me that's a roll of the dice.
Probably not nor would I want something like that in my bed that's a lot of weight on the small heel.

Thank God it's vacation time 7 loads cut, buck, limbed, and hauled in 2 days now it's time to go play on the coast.

Back