The Dolmar 7910 - Snellerized Style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's been 5-6 years since I last modded a Dolmar 7900. I never was quite satisfied with the results I was getting at that time. I've followed MillerModSaws threads very closely. I've talked to Randy and Poleman as well. I owe a lot of this build to them. I've taken what I learned from them and applied it to this new 7910. Thanks guys!

Here's the saw as I received it, straight from our friend FordF150.
1-L.jpg

2-L.jpg

3-L.jpg

4-L.jpg

5-L.jpg

Those of you that have followed some of the other 7910 threads will know that they have a very restrictive chamber in the muffler. This chamber actually protrudes from the muffler and inserts into the exhaust port. The muffler must be uncrimped and this chamber removed. I then cut the chamber and the protrusion from the thick metal flange they're welded to. I ground most of the grooves from the exhaust port. This meant a LOT of port matching on the thick flange of the muffler. Lots of extra work on this saw in the muffler and exhaust port!
6-L.jpg

7-L.jpg

8-L.jpg

9-L.jpg

10-L.jpg

11-L.jpg

17-L.jpg

18-L.jpg

I then proceeded to install a 272XP coil. No unlimited coil is available for the 7900/7910, so I chose to make the mods necessary to run this unlimited 272 coil. The stock coil is limited to 12,800, IIRC. In addition to being much harder to tune, that's just way to close to the RPMs this saw will want to turn.

15-L.jpg

14-L.jpg

The 272 coil fires at a much different time than the stock coil. For that reason, the key must be ground from the flywheel and then advanced approximately 30°. I have marked the case at 0°, 25°, 30°, and 35°. You'll notice that I've filed the one fin to a point, to make timing adjustments more accurate and easier to set.
13-L.jpg

12-L.jpg

There are some more mods coming for this saw. I have the HD filter kit on order. This kit is only available in gloss black and wouldn't look that good with the flat black cylinder cover. So, some asthetic mods are going to be done to this saw as well. You'll just have to wait to see what that's all about ;)

There are some more mods coming for this saw. I have the HD filter kit on order. This kit is only available in gloss black and wouldn't look that good with the flat black cylinder cover. So, some asthetic mods are going to be done to this saw as well. You'll just have to wait to see what that's all about ;)
You going to etch your name on the cylinder fins?

Oddly enough I just got to really run my dolmar/makita 6421 today. I was very pleased. Probably do the 79cc upsize over the winter.

Latest posts

Back