The Fire Pit Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also fabbed up a fire pit firewood holder.
7e00d01a9ac4c263b604f43449975b29.jpg
471c07bcdaeda88466cff361130d6c48.jpg
b7f0045e80317e4144101237a3a9676d.jpg
866df8c8b4e29cb79aca591d1f9622ee.jpg

Used 4 treated 2x4s, 3' of 2x4x1/8" tubing and 16"s of 2x3x3/16" tube.
Base width is 16"s it's 8' long and 4' high. Should hold just shy of a rick for the fire pit. I have about 25$ into it and a couple hours ( I hate painting )....

Just curious on this here now, do you like the design now that you have firewood on it?

Also you used the 2x4x1/8" tube for where the 2x4's go through correct, and then the 2x3x3/16"s for the spacer? this is pretty much exactly what i would like to make up, i'm pounding in t stakes right now, and not working out well.

Yes, I used the 2x4x1/8" for the 2x4s. And the 2x3x3/16" was just what I had laying around. Actually everything was extra stuff in the shop.
I think it works good but I would probably use 2x4x3/16 material for everything if I was going to build a bunch of them. The 2x4s are a little loose in the tubing and the 3/16" material would tighten everything up. I did run lag bolts through the horizontal and vertical tubes and 2x4s so it's not bad.

Just had an excavator flatten out/fill in the land in Maine. The guy was a surgeon with that thing! Had him flatten out my play area and move some rocks to create my final fire pit, since the old one get filled in. Put some oak rounds around the pit. About 8 foot inner diameter. Looking forward to putting it to use this deer season.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
Thats awesome. I'm inspired to do something like this. Couple of questions though. Is there a drainage system built in or is it covered when not in use to keep rain/snow out? Any concern for flying embers near the house? I've been thinking about putting some sort of shroud above a pit, one to keep moisture out and two to limit the flying embers. Thanks for your pics.

The bottome of the pit is open to the earth, so any water will drain through. I do cover it in the winter and usually during thr season when not in use. If you use the ring and grates on it, they need to be painted every year or so.
Embers are not a problem near the house, although there is a pool to the left of it (not in picture) and my drunkin friends did burn holes through my loop lock cover by throwing splits into a already large fire like cave men who just discovered flame. Smoke at times can drift around the patio, but thats part of a real wood fire and not like these gas nonsense "fake" fire pits. Everyone loves to be around it. Sit on the wall and line up chairs in front.

Lol. Yup. I have those cheap ones from Northern Tool. I have had them for 10 years. They still work fine.
The brackets you made are much more heavy duty. Very nice.

The bottome of the pit is open to the earth, so any water will drain through. I do cover it in the winter and usually during thr season when not in use. If you use the ring and grates on it, they need to be painted every year or so.
Embers are not a problem near the house, although there is a pool to the left of it (not in picture) and my drunkin friends did burn holes through my loop lock cover by throwing splits into a already large fire like cave men who just discovered flame. Smoke at times can drift around the patio, but thats part of a real wood fire and not like these gas nonsense "fake" fire pits. Everyone loves to be around it. Sit on the wall and line up chairs in front.
Good to know, Thanks for the reply. I think I have the same friends.

Latest posts

Back