The Fire Pit Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My neighbor has twice complemented me on how good and sweet smelling my "birch" smells compared to what everyone else burns (I'm burning aspen but didnt want to correct him). Wait till I bring home some pine and cedar, he'll think he died and went to Canada :)

...and went 'to Canada'...lol

About three seasons is all I get from the Lowes/Depot firepits. Cheap metal. Next time I may go for a better quality.

I used to get this 'style' pit from ACE. About 10 years ago they were a lot thicker and better quality; then the quality slowly started going downhill. I would always change the hardware out for all stainless steel bolts and replace the wheels with lawnmower wheels; and I got a stainless screen made out of some expanded metal from a machine shop we use at work.

Then, I was able to find this all stainless steel pit on craigslist out of Texas which had never been used, just stored in a shed by an older couple looking to get rid of it for a steal ($120). I jumped on it and actually found out that it was made by Westinghouse (about ten years ago, so they no longer make these). I absolutely love this pit and it throws some serious heat out. It can get glowing red at the bottom. The only modification I made to it was to re-enforce the screen with some SS pop rivets along the seams to make it stronger and not bow.

Let there be fire.

Attachments

• 20140624_210855(1).jpg
    20140624_210855(1).jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 193
That looks like a Merl Aussie. I have two and they are great dogs!
He's the foreman. I take him with me everywhere. He even climbs up the tractor steps and will ride in the cab with me all day.

Attachments

• 20150118_105727_Richtone(HDR)(2).jpeg
    20150118_105727_Richtone(HDR)(2).jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 112
5ce002be21b00a96bff7095fdc22ce31.jpg

Mine with fire in it this time. And that's the neighbors house. The bushes are mine though.

My neighbor has twice complemented me on how good and sweet smelling my "birch" smells compared to what everyone else burns (I'm burning aspen but didnt want to correct him). Wait till I bring home some pine and cedar, he'll think he died and went to Canada :)
Yes us Canadians have lots of Pine and Cedars. Of course we have ton and tons of White and Black Spruce and lots of White Birch too.
I actually have four large Trembling Aspens near the house to drop and will either sell it for firepit wood or may keep some and sell off the rest.
I have so much softwood seasoning right now that I'm running out of stacking room. One cord of Poplar and a half cord of Butternut and need to leave room for the 4 Aspens and a large White Cedar I need to drop this Spring to get my garage space ready for building.
Around here there is so much softwood that no one uses it for heat. It's just junk wood to most (but not to me).
Here's my humble pit area. We use it from time to time and when guests are over.
DSCF6851cropped.jpg

Finally got around to draggin' the chairs out and gettin' everything cleaned up yesterday.
Just my luck though... it started rainin' 'bout the time I was gonna' light it and open a cold one.
So there I sat... on the porch... lookin' forlornly at the fire pit... but I still opened the cold one :D

DSCF0009.JPG

The woven chair in the back and the glider are classics. Also is that a Sears redwood table off to the right?
All that stuff is freebies... hand me downs... and the like.
It sits out there from April to November, in whatever weather (sometimes, after a storm, I haf'ta retrieve some of it from the ditch or field).
I figure whatever is free and half-used-up... goes to the fire pit seatin' collection.
Sometimes I can get 3 seasons out of a piece... but 2 is the norm.
Still... between family and friends replacing their "good" stuff, there ain't no shortage of free replacements.
Some years I just have more "seats" than other years :D

Back