The Fire Pit Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got to spend about a half hour with my oldest (age 10) at the fire after everyone went to bed. His baseball season ended tonight with a 3rd place finish which is darn good for the amount of talent in his league. With 5 kids in the house any one on one time is golden. Very much enjoyed our talk.

No better quality time spent. Cherish every moment, conversation. They can sure grow up fast. Had dinner last night with my son/daughter, which can be a rare occasion more often than not with work, their schedules, things going on, etc. Son leaves for the Navy in Nov, daughter will be a senior this coming school year, then college bound. I'd dial back the hands of time and make'em 10 again if I could. :)

Got to spend about a half hour with my oldest (age 10) at the fire after everyone went to bed. His baseball season ended tonight with a 3rd place finish which is darn good for the amount of talent in his league. With 5 kids in the house any one on one time is golden. Very much enjoyed our talk.

Campfires are magic. One on one or with a group. Can't get more down to earth than sitting around a fire.

I'm curious to what onion potatoes are. Anything with onions has to be good. Of course I eat them like apples some days.
Lay out tin foil, put sliced potatoes in. Then slices of onion. Then about a stick of butter in pats or melted butter spread over the mix. Finally empty a pack of onion soup mix over the top. Cover with foil, roll up the bottom foil so the butter doesn't run out. Bake, throw on grill, or coals until cooked.

Lay out tin foil, put sliced potatoes in. Then slices of onion. Then about a stick of butter in pats or melted butter spread over the mix. Finally empty a pack of onion soup mix over the top. Cover with foil, roll up the bottom foil so the butter doesn't run out. Bake, throw on grill, or coals until cooked.
...if ya didn't chime in, I was gonna beat ya to the recipe, lol. Can also add fresh sliced mushrooms, julienne carrots, squash, zucchini, even asparagus cut into thirds or so. We load'em up...same cooking deal with several pats of real butter...we call 'em boats. They literally are a meal by themselves. We'll make three/four big ones, put em on the outside of the grate perimeter, while the meats are getting the center heat, and empty all the confines of the boats into a big bowl...Use soup mix or your favorite seasonings, any concoction will do it. Like Steve said...Fine eatin.

...if ya didn't chime in, I was gonna beat ya to the recipe, lol. Can also add fresh sliced mushrooms, julienne carrots, squash, zucchini, even asparagus cut into thirds or so. We load'em up...same cooking deal with several pats of real butter...we call 'em boats. They literally are a meal by themselves. We'll make three/four big ones, put em on the outside of the grate perimeter, while the meats are getting the center heat, and empty all the confines of the boats into a big bowl...Use soup mix or your favorite seasonings, any concoction will do it. Like Steve said...Fine eatin.
...I usually cut all the veggies and whatnot, about 3/8 thick. By the time they sit wrapped, steaming in the foil, they end up, if your timings right, cooked but a crispness to them. I learned yrs ago, let em sit too long, end up with basically mush. Little food for thought. Damn, this is got me hungry, lol.

I do that too. In my younger days I saw that as a waste of beer. Now good food trumps alchohol.
I also learned that I don't like mushiness
If ya wanna little heat, add a good shot of regular table black pepper, and a small shot of crushed red pepper. I find that McCormicks Season All is a great seasoning alone as well by itself. Don't want nothing too salty like Lawrys seasoning salt. By the time the veggies and all steam, the salt can't escape. Little food for thought. Let us know how things turn out, what your seasoning was.

Well it won't be an onion soup packet since I hate the grocery store and we're out of it. I use seasonall and garlic powder for a lot of stuff. An elderly fellow that my wife and I keep an eye on helps us with our canning. He suggested dehydrating our garlic and different peppers to make our own seasonings.
Sorry for derailing the thread. I'll post a pic of my fire pit once I can find it again. Nieghbor buried it with brush after last weeks storms.

Well it won't be an onion soup packet since I hate the grocery store and we're out of it. I use seasonall and garlic powder for a lot of stuff. An elderly fellow that my wife and I keep an eye on helps us with our canning. He suggested dehydrating our garlic and different peppers to make our own seasonings.
Sorry for derailing the thread. I'll post a pic of my fire pit once I can find it again. Nieghbor buried it with brush after last weeks storms.
Nah...don't you fret 'bout no derail. We wanna hear how the groceries turned out. ;)

Back