The highs and lows of milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Venomvpr900

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Did my first milling today with the granberg, everything went fairly smooth. image.jpgimage.jpg

Everything went fairly smooth but on the third pass the saw started to act up and run lean, I shut it down and brought it home. Pressure tested and it pushed oil out the bar oil cap vent. I guess the case half gasket blew. I pulled the p and c and it looks fine thankfully. Guess I'll be breaking the case and resealing

I know they can leak oil threw the oil pump area also. Could be a oring on the pump. I had one that would leak some of the bar oil back into the crank area and smoked like crazy when you started it up. It ended up being the case like you suspect, but you may get lucky.

That is some absolutely beautiful wood. What kind of tree?

Looks like you were 'playing' in the wetness...
Stuff like that only happens and spoils the fun of the day....at least around here it's always something. Good call on the shutdown and inspect.

Hope you get back out there and get that chunk finished, really nice looking grain structure in that one!

Scott (thought I was the only one) B

I know they can leak oil threw the oil pump area also. Could be a oring on the pump. I had one that would leak some of the bar oil back into the crank area and smoked like crazy when you started it up. It ended up being the case like you suspect, but you may get lucky.
Good call on the oil pump, just for grins I pulled the pump and stuck a new o ring on and 95% of my leak is gone. I soap bubbled the rest and get some leakage from the intake riser seal to jug. Going to play with it a bit and then put her back together.

It's hard to find anything here other than oak, and it is all very plain. It looks like:

oak.jpg

Good call on the oil pump, just for grins I pulled the pump and stuck a new o ring on and 95% of my leak is gone. I soap bubbled the rest and get some leakage from the intake riser seal to jug. Going to play with it a bit and then put her back together.
Great. Glad i could help.

Looks good on the oak and Iam glad you found the leak ,ive got a 51 and their nice on a log . Ya gotta ask santa for a ligh lift jack get one end up then let your 75 do its job going down hill . I use a 260 cut a 1 " deep notch in the end and use lots of cribbing and stay clear till its solid as it will try to swing to the side . Watch getting it to steep with plastic wedges their slipery .

Some real nice tiger striped figure in there from the rays on the quarter / riven cut. Beautiful stuff.

394xp w/ 33" & 42" Bars - Full Comp Full Chisel - 36" Granberg Alaskan Mill
455 Rancher w/ 20" Bar - Semi Chisel
Husqvarna Forestry Helmet & Full Wrap Chaps

The right woodworker will really love the character of those slabs. Glad the second session went well. Now the hard part... waiting for the slabs to dry!

Back