The how many hours your saw has thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Won't happen. Already asked the question a few times and nobody ever answered...

well this turned into a fullblown pissfest in brads premix 101 thread. as for me i probably only log (haha get it) 75-100 hours a year on my saws. We do a several weeks of spring and fall tree cutting every year where i work, but a lot of the time is spent rigging trees and chipping and hauling the wood as well. I do some landscaping type stuff on the side as well and pick up tree removals here and there, hiring out anything that needs climbing and i take care of cleanup etc. Im mostly a firewood hack that likes fixing and piss-revving saws.

We buck 30 cords a year in about 24 hrs of total saw running time. We buy it in log length already limbed. I doubt my 441cm has even 36 hrs. on it in the last two seasons.

I assumed this would be a good thread pertaining to the newer mtronic and autotune saws. I'd be interested to see who has the most hours on one of those...proof would be a pic of when they were plugged in last. I know everyone has an estimated amount of hours they run their saws, but without an hour meter it's just an estimation. I'd like to see some actual numbers

Hardline ............... shows hours, RPM, its waterproof, and recalls the highest RPM

Attachments

• 044, 066, 661.JPG
    044, 066, 661.JPG
    866.1 KB · Views: 55
.... I know everyone has an estimated amount of hours they run their saws, but without an hour meter it's just an estimation. I'd like to see some actual numbers
As I already mentioned it won't happen. Been waiting for it and asking since a few years the same questions and besides estimations nothing ever happened...

Estimations should be fine or close enough ,don't need to be an all serious documented thread ,if a guy knows he spent 4 hours cutting firewood one weekend and can remember how many weekends etc should be good enough ,the revolutions per hour thing is pretty anal for a powersaw ,if a guy zip ties a tach to his saw maybe that would help also ,an hour milling is going to be a lot more wear and tear on a saw than an hour firewooding for example .

Estimations should be fine or close enough ,don't need to be an all serious documented thread ,if a guy knows he spent 4 hours cutting firewood one weekend and can remember how many weekends etc should be good enough ,the revolutions per hour thing is pretty anal for a powersaw ,if a guy zip ties a tach to his saw maybe that would help also ,an hour milling is going to be a lot more wear and tear on a saw than an hour firewooding for example .
All AT & MT saws have a hour metre included in the electronics, all one has to do is go to a dealer, plug in to the "computer" and publish the read out numbers... With that we have an exact number.

I believe 90% of guys over estimate the number of hours on their saws. The math doesn't add up. Also, check out the hours on the newer Autotune saws. It would interesting to hear what kind of hours Spike sees on the ones that get a lot of commercial use.

This is exactly why I'd like to see some actual numbers instead of just estimates. It would be nice to see how many hours these saws will go since theirs never any need to tune and supposedly never a chance for it to die because of a lean seize

The other thread was more fun. I've got a sendac tach. Wonder if I can convert it to hours. Probably enuff room in the airbox for it too. I'd stuff it in there for a day to see what kind of time i really get.

I have no idea. Honestly as long as the thing starts up without fussing and cuts good I really don't go much beyond that. There isn't much I can think of on a saw that would need to be tracked by hours (like oil changes, filters, greasing, etc)

All AT & MT saws have a hour metre included in the electronics, all one has to do is go to a dealer, plug in to the "computer" and publish the read out numbers... With that we have an exact number.

The early m-tronic saws from 2010 didn`t count operating hours. Later, I think in 2011 the control units were modified and they count operating hours since then. I contacted Stihl in the past to that topic and they said the early control units didn`t support the operating hour count service. But that was modified and now they count the hours.

I have a print (from the dealer service) of the diagnostic report of a FS 460 attached with the stored data of the control unit as an example. Total operating hours are shown with hours, minutes and seconds and the number of succsessful starts below it. I often work with that machine on a horse farm. On the bottom there are shown the fuel settings for idle and full throttle. (switching cycle of solenoid valve)

Attachments

• Operating Data FS 460.pdf
    121 KB · Views: 53
The early m-tronic saws from 2010 didn`t count operating hours. Later, I think in 2011 the control units were modified and they count operating hours since then. I contacted Stihl in the past to that topic and they said the early control units didn`t support the operating hour count service. But that was modified and now they count the hours.

I have a print (from the dealer service) of the diagnostic report of a FS 460 attached with the stored data of the control unit as an example. Total operating hours are shown with hours, minutes and seconds and the number of succsessful starts below it. I often work with that machine on a horse farm. On the bottom there are shown the fuel settings for idle and full throttle. (switching cycle of solenoid valve)
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!!! The first official number posting!!!

Thanks/Danke for the info!

my newest saw is a 576 and it has 550 tanks on it. likely more but i'll estimate less for this. just going by how many burned in a day. now, the 576 seems to have a small tank and don't go much longer then half hour per filling whereas something like a 460 stihl will go for damn near 45 min. so just going by those conservative estimated numbers my newest saw has over 250 hours on it. the others i lost track. running 50:1 a saw is getting pretty tired at 400 hours but that does not mean they won't run much longer in their tired state. they seem to stay healthier longer running more oil.

Latest posts

Back