The most underated saw....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great idea for a thread.

My vote? Husky 61/Jonsered 625. When they were new in the early 1980's they were very highly rated, but when the 66's and 630/670's cane out everyone forgot them like yesterday's news. Loss leaders, sold to guys who couldn't afford a "real" saw.

But they would put as much wood on the landing in most conditions as the 266-272 and 670 hot rods, and were a better saw for weekend warriors because they were ported a little more conservatively and so had a wider, flatter powerband.

Another saw like that was the Stihl 038. Lots of people thought they were heavy pigs, especially the early plain-jane 60cc 038. But they cut a lot of wood, worked like troopers without complaint and lasted forever.

Homelite super-EZ. Amazing power for a cheap 2-1/2 cu. in. box-store saw.

Husky 51. 95% of what the 55 could do, but Husky couldn't move them nearly as well as the 55.

Seems like a lot underrate the PM610 and the Mini Mac.

Have yet to work on or own a Mini Mac, but from watching a video, I can tell you it is much easier to work on compared to some of the POS cars I've had to work on before.

441, 362 both got a bad rap because of a half pound or so. I will take the extra weight for the fuel mileage and smoother ride over its predecessors plus as a added bonus a little extra power.

Have seen more than a few comments on here that somewhat deride the capabilities of the good old 034 stihl, which I have a great deal of respect for and have earned a wage from at times. worked hard for a lot of years with one, just rebuilt her and expect to get another 20 years from her. Have cut some damn hard wood with her, milled with her and cut lots of wood with a 25 inch bar fully buried.

husky 340

Everyone talks up the 346, but the 340 has most of the same features and not much less power. They sell for next to nothing and are as tough as nails. We've had one as a ground saw for over 2 years now, which is a long time for a ground saw to last. It gets the absolute crap abused out of it and just keeps on going. Great little saw.

Shaun

there was a very similar thread a while ago, the Husky 365 was regarded as one of the most underrated saws, always in the shadow of big brother 372xp... have to say the 365 gets my vote!

LOL, Nik I think you know my answer to that question, seeing how I own 9 of that Poulan series of saws. 3-3400's, 2-3700's, and 4-4000's. I don't know if they were under rated or not back in there day. They sure sold a lot of them. Compared to todays modern saws, I'm sure they are. Especially by younger folks that never run one and only know a Poulan only as a Wild Thing.

:cheers:
Gregg,

Poulan Pro's 415, 475, 505. Which are truly Jonsereds in Poulans clothes.

Which are really Partners in Jonsereds clothes. Im not so sure there underated much.

I own 2 of those 3 and there is nothing underated about those if you have ever run one. Put an unlimited coil on them and they will spank many saws of the same size.....

LOL, Nik I think you know my answer to that question, seeing how I own 9 of that Poulan series of saws. 3-3400's, 2-3700's, and 4-4000's. I don't know if they were under rated or not back in there day. They sure sold a lot of them. Compared to todays modern saws, I'm sure they are. Especially by younger folks that never run one and only know a Poulan only as a Wild Thing.

:cheers:
Gregg,

When I bought my 3400 back in the 80s', it wasn't under-rated. It was highly recommended.:)

there was a very similar thread a while ago, the Husky 365 was regarded as one of the most underrated saws, always in the shadow of big brother 372xp... have to say the 365 gets my vote!

I feel the 365 actually is overrated on here, as is the 359 - but that is just an opinion....:help:

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Stihl MS290...Apparently it is a decent saw for milling :msp_tongue:

In all seriousness though, I won't say it is one of the MOST underrated, but my 029S has been a GREAT saw for what I use it for...but I think it looses a lot of credit just from being a non-pro saw. Which is fine, I have learned the differences of working on the saws, and being kinda heavy for it's power...But it is a really nice, powerful throwaway saw...though I did rebuild mine out of being broke and wanting a saw other that borrowing my buddy's Craftsman...I prolly won't go through the hassle of rebuilding it again (if it needs it), I'll just buy another saw...hopefully I'll buy another one well before needing rebuilt so I can sell the 029. ****** CAD, thanks a lot guys...I NEVER woulda known the difference without you guys and woulda went on the rest of my life thinking the 029S/290 was a, AWESOME saw.

Poulan Pro's 415, 475, 505. Which are truly Jonsereds in Poulans clothes.

Which are really Partners in Jonsereds clothes. Im not so sure there underated much.

To complete the story - they actually was made at the Husky factory in Sweden, as were the original P7700 + the P710 and P660.

I'm with these guys!!! In the "other" category, the Husqvarna 365 Special gets my vote!!

But i am curious about this Dolmar 7900!!

Last edited:
Back