The Movie: Never Give an Inch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the book was boring and he has the small towns on the Orygun Coast misplaced, maybe on purpose? Poetic license? A movie theater in Yachats when Florence is a larger and closer town? Drove me mad! Simply mad!:dizzy:

Paul Newman behind the CP125...Cool video of a classic big tree saw. Newman gives it away that he hasn't run a CP much when the saw dies and he reaches for the starter cord and it is ripped right from his hand! You learn that these saws don't play when it comes to starting them...proper drill or it will bite you...:cheers:

So what was the name of the little town where the movie was actually filmed? The GREAT Mr. Finley Hays told me years ago that the movie was filmed along the Siletz River. I would love to know where the town is, though, because I hope to visit that place in person some day.

I remember several good points in the movie. Like when they tossed the sticks of dynamite at the fleeing union rep.... and yeah, that was a good shot when Newman's double sat on the stub of the tree after he topped it, although I suspect that in real life, he would have probably spent the rest of the day with his butt covered in pitch. I assume they were supposedly cutting a tail spar, for logging skyline, or slack line? I don't recall seeing a carriage used. One of my favorite points was when Newman sawed the union rep's desk in half.

Several of the actors had to be local loggers. Remember the one at the hospital who had dark hair on the top of his head, and salt and pepper hair under the line where the hard hat covered? That was a dead giveaway.

The Olympia beer was a good touch, as was the radio station. I used to swim in the Des Chutes River at the Oly brewery. My father logged some beautiful old growth timber up in the headwaters of the Des Chutes in about 1971, and raised a big stink when the bean counters in Federal Way ordered him to buck it all in 14 and 16 foot lengths, to play a little game and squeeze a little more scale out of it. And those logs stayed in a raft, in Puget Sound, I believe, for a very long time, because no one would buy them because of the lengths they were bucked to.

Remember the tall skinny guy (Les?) who bummed a ride across the river, and was complaining about picking berries instead of logging? He played a similar despicable part in the original version of the movie 'The Longest Yard'.

I hated watching that part where Richard Jaekel drowns. When I saw the movie 30 years ago he was one of my favorite actors so I never looked for the movie again. I guess it is time to see it again.

I hated that scene too. But it bears out an often unspoken truth about the woods out that way: People DID die in the woods back then, and they still do now and then, although safety practices have been vastly improved. Even so, although I hope to live to be a hundred, I can't think of a better way to die than to die in the woods, in one of the most beautiful places on the face of the earth, doing a job that few people in this day and age have the guts to do.

Back in the days of steam, as some of you know, in most outfits, it was no big deal if a logger died in the woods. Schaeffer Brothers, as the story goes, used to just haul the body to the landing, sit the deceased up against a stump, and haul him out of the woods at the end of the day.

I thought the book was boring and he has the small towns on the Orygun Coast misplaced, maybe on purpose? Poetic license? A movie theater in Yachats when Florence is a larger and closer town? Drove me mad! Simply mad!:dizzy:

Poetic and cartography license, yes. Wakonda does not exist. Actually, nothing is where he says it is. Wakonda is supposed to be 10 miles north of Florence, while at the same time it is somewhere along the road from Eugene to Florence. Then they go to the hospital in Reedsport, like it was just a skip away, and Hank rides his bike to Newport, like it is a few miles north of them. But he gets the hellish greenery right, and the mud, and the trees...

Too much LSD... especially while he (Ken Kesey) was here getting stoned in our barn. Here is an essay from a guy that partied with him back here in the early 1970s... Mu Farm was the name of the farm I live on now (back then) this place was a goat milk farm and Mu Farm made goat milk ice cream and sold it locally. I look down on the barn they are talking about here from my office in the house...

From John by way of IntrepidTrips.com

I Partyed with Kesey and the Pranksters at the Mu Farm in early 70's while living at Rainbow Commune. Great party. They pranked our commune, as they told us the date of party was changed to Holloween instead the day before. As Rodney ( the Fiddler who made beer throughout oregon and showed up when the beer was ready with his fiddle) was leaving Rainbow with another musician and Wally the local(redneck) hippie originally from Drain Ore., the morning before party. I asked them where they were going, they said to the Mu farm to practice for the party tomorrow. Wally had a twinkle in his eye , even visable through his Coke bottle thick glasses. I new immediately, he was lying and some thing was up! As they pulled out of the parking lot. I looked at Wayne and said lets Hitch into Drain and catch up with them at the local Diner and see what's up? We walk in to the Diner and there they were. We said, What's up? They replied Laughingly it's a prank on Rainbow the party 's today. So we arrived early with the Musicians. Bowls of the Kind Pot, Kesy with a Vile of Acid. The Mu farms Band played led by Fletcher, as Kesy, dressed as a Priest, and the Pranksters were playing feedback music at the other end of the barn. Fun nite! The rest of Rainbow came straggling into the party about 10pm some with skouls on there face and costumeless as they were caught off guard, but most of them took the prank in good spirit. and we partyed on! Did apple bobing contest , floor got wet, we were dancing , running spinning and sliding as the bands played to our movement, with Kesey on Harmonica rapping through the Harp about the many varied things happening in the barn. Wild nite! Latter 30yrs. later. It dawned on me, Being as Rainbw took the Prank in good sport, this could be why, they made Rainbow Commune backstage security at the Grateful Dead concert at Eugene country fair grounds after that. Fun time had by all. I met Jerry, he was a friendly wise big Teddy Bear kind of guy sitting in a full Lotus on the grass back stage

So what was the name of the little town where the movie was actually filmed? The GREAT Mr. Finley Hays told me years ago that the movie was filmed along the Siletz River. I would love to know where the town is, though, because I hope to visit that place in person some day.

The movie was filmed in several locations, including Kernville (near Loncoln City) and Newport. The Stamper house in the film is along the Siletz River, here is a photo:

attachment.php

Also I found a copy of the film on DVD... I do not know where it was made. Probably a Chinese knock-off, as according to sources, Paul Newman has refused to release the movie on DVD format, as it was not a box-office hit, and he considers it not to be his best. He also had production problems on the film (the producer quit half way though) and he broke his foot in a motrocycle accident on the coast 3 weeks into filming it. Note also that this film was the first one aired on HBO when they first came on TV.

http://stores.blowoutdvd1.com/-strse-2/Sometimes-a-Great-Notion/Detail.bok

So who's going to volunteer to make a DVD from the tape so we can all enjoy it.... Rob.. :)

Ian

I get a dvd for this movie from a friend. But its in german. "Sie wollten Giganten sein" is the title here in germany. I love the scene by topping this high tree und than he sit on it, and in this shop where he cut the desktop from the labor union:clap: :clap:

You guys are bad for my wallet. I just submitted an offer for a copy on ebay. I'll be seeing about getting it transferred to DVD if I get it.

Ian

If you do make a copy on dvd I would be interested in a copy as I have never seen the movie and would really like to. Just pm me if you do make a copy.

Didnt that movie have one of the characters forearms stuck on top of the boat with a certain finger sticking up?

Windthrown, is it the Newport bridge across the Yaquina bay that they are pushing the log raft towards in the movie? Or is it the bridge in CA that gets used a lot in movies? It definitely wasn't the 101 bridge across the Siuslaw.
I can't remember. I thought it was the Newport bridge.

Latest posts

Back