the ms461

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at a famous Washington saw shop on Saturday and they had a few 461's in and said that no more 460's would be sent out from Stihl as per last week. They had taken a 461 apart and found it only had 7 different parts from the 460. It looked like to me that all parts would be interchangeable. They said they had dyno'd a 461 and a 460 three times and the 461 had .06 more horsepower. the 461 was very slightly heavier feeling but maybe only by a couple of ounces if that. I didn't weigh them.

I was thinking about buying a 460 while I still could, but the 461 is just as good if not better from what I could gather. Stihl didn't mess much with a good thing. Funny Stihl is still sending out the 440's though.

Hmmm:

1. Cylinder
2. Muffler
3. Starter cover
4. AF cover
5. Cylinder cover
6. ?
7. ?

If it's a quad-port and it bolts up, I foresee a lot of parts sales. And stuff.

Hmmm:

1. Cylinder
2. Muffler
3. Starter cover
4. AF cover
5. Cylinder cover
6. ?
7. ?

If it's a quad-port and it bolts up, I foresee a lot of parts sales. And stuff.

mmm a quad-port 460 mine go's good now but if i can get more touqe then so be it

Looking forward to more actual technical observations on this new model. Particularly ones I don't have to ask google to translate from German!

Seems we Aussies will have to wait unil next March before we see them...

does anyone have a way to tell if this is the first 461 to be modded ? have any of the big saw shops ported one yet ?

ok i found a rep page one day by accident ,how do i find it again ? must be an easy way :laugh:

I don't think I'm any better on the computer stuff than you (actually could be worse), but in top right corner of screen you can click on settings and get review of recent rep.

Randy, the first thing you must do after you take the cylinder off is have an 046 crank case sitting there to see if it will bolt on to it. :msp_biggrin:

ok i found a rep page one day by accident ,how do i find it again ? must be an easy way :laugh:

I don't think I'm any better on the computer stuff than you (actually could be worse), but in top right corner of screen you can click on settings and get review of recent rep.

bottom left corner on every post,click on the star looking icon and REP away

Got one!

Well, I picked up a new 461 this afternoon -- it arrived at the dealer this morning. It's a nice saw for sure. I walked out with a 20" bar and RS chain for general use, and ordered a 28" ES Light bar and RS chain for special occasions (that should come in later this week).

I didn't have much time to saw this afternoon, but filled the 461 up with bar oil and gas and ran it briefly. The saw fired right up. My first impression was that the idle was a bit unrefined compared to the 441-CM, but it improved within minutes. All my big wood is up on our new property, so all I had to saw was a wood pile of splits. I can confirm that the 461 can neatly divide a stack of splits :msp_tongue:. I'll give it an honest test later this week, hopefully with the 28" bar.

The 461 is a tad rougher at cutting speed than the 441-CM, which is expected given the suspension differences. But it's minor from what I could see. I'll wait until I have more time to saw to say for sure.

Here are a few pics:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 255254View attachment 255255View attachment 255256View attachment 255257View attachment 255258

Last edited:
Well, I picked up a new 461 this afternoon -- it arrived at the dealer this morning. It's a nice saw for sure. I walked out with a 20" bar and RS chain for general use, and ordered a 28" ES Light bar and RS chain for special occasions (that should come in later this week).

I didn't have much time to saw this afternoon, but filled the 461 up with bar oil and gas and ran it briefly. The saw fired right up. My first impression was that the idle was a bit unrefined compared to the 441-CM, but it improved within minutes. All my big wood is up on our new property, so all I had to saw was a wood pile of splits. I can confirm that the 461 can neatly divide a stack of splits :msp_tongue:. I'll give it an honest test later this week, hopefully with the 28" bar.

The 461 is a tad rougher at cutting speed than the 441-CM, which is expected given the suspension differences. But it's minor from what I could see. I'll wait until I have more time to saw to say for sure.

Here are a few pics:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 255254View attachment 255255View attachment 255256View attachment 255257View attachment 255258

is yours headed north for the free port job or is that slot already filled?

Back