the ms461

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at the last pic made me think that even w/ the gap they incorporated the pre-filtration of the 261/441 saw, especially w/ the HD2 filter. So...

MS 461 - Introducing the NEW STIHL MS 461 Chain Saw

I found where Stihl Canada has the saw on there web site, the US still list the 460.

It does include th3e pre-filtration (good thing).

dw

P.S. Ever try to type w/ a 6 month lab-pup trying to get you to play? Lots of backspace to get this post in....

I dunno man, it'd be hard not to take TM up on that free port job. I'm willing to bet he could turn that baby into a beast. He knows his way around a grinder and thats been proven.

I dunno man, it'd be hard not to take TM up on that free port job. I'm willing to bet he could turn that baby into a beast. He knows his way around a grinder and thats been proven.

It is a good offer, still I'd have real trouble dropping that kind of coin and then sending it off to go under the knife.... I would at least want to run it for a while first so I could see the improvement myself.

dw

It is a good offer, still I'd have real trouble dropping that kind of coin and then sending it off to go under the knife.... I would at least want to run it for a while first so I could see the improvement myself.

dw

You can tell when a guy does'nt own a ported saw. I've sent a couple new ones straight under the knife. :D

Nah I do see what your saying. I to, like to run mine a little first. Usually just a couple weeks though. A ported saw is a thing of beauty. Especially when you know it's done by a pro. I have confidence in my Mastermind xpw to put that baby to hard work, knowing it's going to handle all I can give it. :rock:

You can tell when a guy does'nt own a ported saw. I've sent a couple new ones straight under the knife. :D

Nah I do see what your saying. I to, like to run mine a little first. Usually just a couple weeks though. A ported saw is a thing of beauty. Especially when you know it's done by a pro. I have confidence in my Mastermind xpw to put that baby to hard work, knowing it's going to handle all I can give it. :rock:

If it were mine, it would be on the brown truck for a trip to Tree Monkey's.

i was nervous sending my first saw off. it was a difficult decision to make. It paled in comparison to which saw to send next and then next, after I got the first one done. I couldnt come up with the money fast enough!:hmm3grin2orange:

Well, I picked up a new 461 this afternoon -- it arrived at the dealer this morning. It's a nice saw for sure. I walked out with a 20" bar and RS chain for general use, and ordered a 28" ES Light bar and RS chain for special occasions (that should come in later this week).

I didn't have much time to saw this afternoon, but filled the 461 up with bar oil and gas and ran it briefly. The saw fired right up. My first impression was that the idle was a bit unrefined compared to the 441-CM, but it improved within minutes. All my big wood is up on our new property, so all I had to saw was a wood pile of splits. I can confirm that the 461 can neatly divide a stack of splits :msp_tongue:. I'll give it an honest test later this week, hopefully with the 28" bar.

The 461 is a tad rougher at cutting speed than the 441-CM, which is expected given the suspension differences. But it's minor from what I could see. I'll wait until I have more time to saw to say for sure.

Here are a few pics:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 255254View attachment 255255View attachment 255256View attachment 255257View attachment 255258
What do they cost?

I will be honest they do look maybe just a hair better than the 441 CM-R.... I still don't know if it will be a saw that once ported it will wanna make me sell my 441 and buy a 461 and go back to the non CM technology.... it's a real tough choice lol

What do they cost?

It's hard to tell on the receipt since I was mixing up the bars on my order, but I think it would work out to $1039 with a 20" bar or $1049 with a 25" bar. I think about $50-60 more than the 460 cost. Not a cheap saw.

Randy, the first thing you must do after you take the cylinder off is have an 046 crank case sitting there to see if it will bolt on to it. :msp_biggrin:

I'll do that if I happen to have a 046 case here. I've sold most of my Stihls lately.....

No not because I don't like Stihl........heck i need money sometimes ya know. :laugh:

Scott is one of the very best at porting a saw. There's no doubt about that. :rock:

I'll do that if I happen to have a 046 case here. I've sold most of my Stihls lately.....

No not because I don't like Stihl........heck i need money sometimes ya know. :laugh:

Scott is one of the very best at porting a saw. There's no doubt about that. :rock:

show a pic of the 460 and 461 base gaskets
that will tell us alot

blah blah blah- whatever helps you sleep at night..... but we know the real reason.:hmm3grin2orange:

It's hard to tell on the receipt since I was mixing up the bars on my order, but I think it would work out to $1039 with a 20" bar or $1049 with a 25" bar. I think about $50-60 more than the 460 cost. Not a cheap saw.

i dont know if i got a discount or not but paid 914 for mine ,it was $50 more than the 460 was ,it was an extra $32 for the dual port muffler cover ,i bought powerhead only ,no bar

im not sure how detailed a feature you are doing on the 461 Randy ,but if you cant find a 460 to compare with ,let me know and ill throw mine in a box ,and have one to compare with for the differences

Latest posts

Back