The MS661 is for sale in the US again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm waiting for someone to come out w/ a plug in tuner like they have for cars & trucks that let us remap the timing & fuel etc... not that timing is controllable through M-tronic, but you get the idear. Computers make it so easy to stretch the limits and dial out more power form the fuel system.

dw

The 461 is the same design Chris.
Good point. Hopefully the problems they had were just plating and not related. My concern has been that the piston cooling thingy is a sign that the design adds heat load, but as in previous conversations about it I sorta suspect it doesn't do much.

I'm waiting for someone to come out w/ a plug in tuner like they have for cars & trucks that let us remap the timing & fuel etc... not that timing is controllable through M-tronic, but you get the idear. Computers make it so easy to stretch the limits and dial out more power form the fuel system.

dw
I was paying out rope, because these things are not "mapped" by the ECU. It simply does a lean out test, watches what the rpms do, and adjusts accordingly. The "mapping" of the basic fuel curve that the lean out test modifies as needed is done by the fact that it is still a carburetor so the mixture is approximately correct anyway. The ECU doesn't need to know much of anything about the engine, it only controls steady-state fuel mixture, and hacking it will allow you to do very little.

For example, apparently the problems of the 562 carbs have nothing to do with the AutoTune part, they're just typical carburetor issues.

I was paying out rope, because these things are not "mapped" by the ECU. It simply does a lean out test, watches what the rpms do, and adjusts accordingly. The "mapping" of the basic fuel curve that the lean out test modifies as needed is done by the fact that it is still a carburetor so the mixture is approximately correct anyway. The ECU doesn't need to know much of anything about the engine, it only controls steady-state fuel mixture, and hacking it will allow you to do very little.

I agree. Even if they did make a plug in tuner, theys very little that could be changed and the performance gain would be very low if any in my opinion.

If it exists it can be hacked. Moreover if it is mechanical, electronic and especially electromechanical, it will be hacked. If it is those things and we have one it has been hacked.

Performance 'gain' is always a trade off on some level whereupon something else has to give. Hopefully I'm talking to other mechanics here as there is no gain without loss. That's settled science. Thus 'gains' are amorphous. Paying out rope haha my ribs hurt. Refer to the law of conservation of energy.

Back