The neighbors are burning railroad ties

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have a point about people complaining but never addressing the things that they can control. I know a few people like that.

OTOH I see no harm in a guy posting up here asking for advice on how to handle the situation that could become "heated". I know I have attempted to cordially address things with folks and had things get out of hand because they didn't appreciate the issue being brought up. Then thanks to the Irish and German in my blood, once I have started something I won't let the issue go and whoalah! the discussion has turned into a full blown argument. Had I ran it past a few buddies (and or AS members) I could possibly have approached the subject differently and perhaps more diplomatically. Don't fault the OP for trying to become informed.
real straight!!!!

It's like 55 and sunny here.
Well... it's time... I have a confession to make... it's eatin' me up on the inside :laughing:
It was 31° this mornin' and a bit chilly in the house when I rolled out... with a headache. I thought, screw it, it's gonna' warm up today, I ain't gonna' light a fire. So a little bit latter the wife comes walkin' out and asks how come I ain't makin' any heat... then the boy... then the daughter. Pizz 'n' moan, pizz 'n' moan... I... well... I... well I'm just gonna' say it.

I turned on the gas furnace... there I said it... are ya' friggin' happy now?? :D

We don't have a furnace going. But his has been smoking away all day long
its not a stove or a furnace...its a boiler...you cant just shut it down for 1 day because its "warm"...its takes near a whole day to bring the water temp back up if its allowed to get cold... some guys burn em 24/7-365...weather its -30 or 105! its how they decide to heat their house, and or hot water...im sure if you paid his bills he would let you heat his house anyway you like...but you don't, so he can heat his house the way HE likes.

its not a stove or a furnace...its a boiler...you cant just shut it down for 1 day because its "warm"...its takes near a whole day to bring the water temp back up if its allowed to get cold... some guys burn em 24/7-365...weather its -30 or 105! its how they decide to heat their house, and or hot water...im sure if you paid his bills he would let you heat his house anyway you like...but you don't, so he can heat his house the way HE likes.
Whatever dude

He can do WTF he wants until it starts affecting me. The trouble with stinky toxic black smoke is you really can't control who's property it ends up on. I don't want it on mine!

On a side note are you like white spiders side kick or what? Wherever I see him you are right behind parroting whatever he says... :rolleyes:

Actually nathon918 is correct.
Ya' can't shut down a boiler (wood fired or other) just because it gets a little warm outside for a day or two... and if they supply DHW, ya' never shut 'em down. The large boilers in schools, apartment buildings, office buildings, and whatnot run 24/7/365... they have to or it would take two days (and a lot more fuel) to get everything up to temp.

And wood4heat, you do have property rights, but smoke driftin' over it ain't part of them... just as ya' can't control where smoke from the rubber factory up the road blows, or where the stink from spreadin' manure blows. You can pizz 'n' moan about it... but that's all ya' got, nothin' more (unless there's a local ordinance). Nowhere in the constitution does it say you have the "right" to clean air... but you are at liberty to pursue it. Rights are compossible... meaning they are never conflicting. He has the right to heat his home however he sees fit (as long as he ain't breaking law or violating ordinance)... you do not have the right to stop him simply because you don't like it (for whatever reason).

Actually nathon918 is correct.
Ya' can't shut down a boiler (wood fired or other) just because it gets a little warm outside for a day or two... and if they supply DHW, ya' never shut 'em down. The large boilers in schools, apartment buildings, office buildings, and whatnot run 24/7/365... they have to or it would take two days (and a lot more fuel) to get everything up to temp.

And wood4heat, you do have property rights, but smoke driftin' over it ain't part of them... just as ya' can't control where smoke from the rubber factory up the road blows, or where the stink from spreadin' manure blows. You can pizz 'n' moan about it... but that's all ya' got, nothin' more (unless there's a local ordinance). Nowhere in the constitution does it say you have the "right" to clean air... but you are at liberty to pursue it. Rights are compossible... meaning they are never conflicting. He has the right to heat his home however he sees fit (as long as he ain't breaking law or violating ordinance)... you do not have the right to stop him simply because you don't like it (for whatever reason).
Then shut it the F down and use your gas!!!

Interesting, I've never been tagged in a post before.

If it's going to harm the health of my family I'm gonna do everything in my power to put a stop to it. We may disagree about the potential harm here but I'm sure you would feel the same as me otherwise.

Fortunately burning anything but yard debris/firewood is illegal here. No trash, chemicals, tires, etc. Even burning yard debris requires a permit. All that is required for the permit is to print one off, sign it, and keep it in your pocket while burning.

Then shut it the F down and use your gas!!!
go tell your neighbor that...then let us know how it went...:dumb:
some people don't have more than one way of heating their home...and a large building (school etc.) certainly don't have more than one...again.. go pay for his heat and I'm sure he will let you use whatever method you like!

go tell your neighbor that...then let us know how it went...:dumb:
some people don't have more than one way of heating their home...and a large building (school etc.) certainly don't have more than one...again.. go pay for his heat and I'm sure he will let you use whatever method you like!
He has a propane tank sitting 50 foot or so from his owb. I'm not anti wood burning but this is the kind of guy that gets ordinances passed against using them.

Back