The neighbors are burning railroad ties

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fortunately burning anything but yard debris/firewood is illegal here. ... If it's going to harm the health of my family I'm gonna do everything in my power...
Does that include such things as incinerators?? And OWBs?? Often those sorts of ordinances apply only to "open" burning.
If it was in fact harming your health, and there was proof of it, and he was aware of it and continued... he would be breaking the law. But smoke blowing 700 yards ain't likely gonna' be seen that way by the courts... anymore than the smoke coming from the rubber factory would be.
You do have the civil court option... but you'd need to prove recklessness, or intent on his part... and since he can't control the wind it's a long shot. Although, if you could prove the only time he fired the thing up was when the wind was blowing at your home you'd have a chance... 'cause that would show intent.

He has a propane tank sitting 50 foot or so from his owb. I'm not anti wood burning but this is the kind of guy that gets ordinances passed against using them.
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
ACTUALLY its people like YOU that get that garbage passed...correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe he's the one doing the complaining???

Well... it's time... I have a confession to make... it's eatin' me up on the inside :laughing:
It was 31° this mornin' and a bit chilly in the house when I rolled out... with a headache. I thought, screw it, it's gonna' warm up today, I ain't gonna' light a fire. So a little bit latter the wife comes walkin' out and asks how come I ain't makin' any heat... then the boy... then the daughter. Pizz 'n' moan, pizz 'n' moan... I... well... I... well I'm just gonna' say it.

I turned on the gas furnace... there I said it... are ya' friggin' happy now?? :D
OMG

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
ACTUALLY its people like YOU that get that garbage passed...correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe he's the one doing the complaining???
I'm not going to make a formal complaint but I bet the other neighbors will and with good reason. No one would complain if he would burn regular wood.:happybanana::buttkick:

Does that include such things as incinerators?? And OWBs?? Often those sorts of ordinances apply only to "open" burning.
If it was in fact harming your health, and there was proof of it, and he was aware of it and continued... he would be breaking the law. But smoke blowing 700 yards ain't likely gonna' be seen that way by the courts... anymore than the smoke coming from the rubber factory would be.
You do have the civil court option... but you'd need to prove recklessness, or intent on his part... and since he can't control the wind it's a long shot. Although, if you could prove the only time he fired the thing up was when the wind was blowing at your home you'd have a chance... 'cause that would show intent.
Wish I had your courts... They seem so sensible.

I'm not going to make a formal complaint but I bet the other neighbors will and with good reason. No one would complain if he would burn regular wood.:happybanana::buttkick:

ok just so we're clear... you're saying its not you, its people like your neighbors that get that garbage passed?....
also...please define "regular wood"...is that dry wood? dry by who's standards? is that only oak, or can it be any ole species?

ok just so we're clear... you're saying its not you, its people like your neighbors that get that garbage passed?....
also...please define "regular wood"...is that dry wood? dry by who's standards? is that only oak, or can it be any ole species?
I don't really care that much about what he does. But I work outside much closer than700 yards from the douche. I would be ok with any wood that's untreated. I thought that was pretty much standard procedure. I'm sure if he could figure out a way to make the door bigger so he could just put a whole pallet of them in at 1 time he would.

This seems to have gone full circle and completely backfired on the OP. I'm not a FB member and am new here and don't really know what "likes" are but really enjoy getting some for babbling on from GOAT but I really gotta stop following this nonsense now so I can have a drinky poo. To sawblaster I hope starting this thread gets you the resolution you're looking for, whatever that is. It's been real....

The garbage spewing in this thread is

Recklessness is proven by the fact that the guys fuel supply is doused with carcinogens and he burns it anyways. Intent to do harm is not required to be proven. Im sure he's not burning the ties with the intent to harm anyone but it is a consequence to those who have to deal with the effluent.
You have to right to harm yourself due to your own idiocracy but once it starts impacting others they have the right to stop you from further harm. This isnt about a bad smell its about the harmfull effluent from what hes burning. You think coal fired power plants had intent to harm before their effluent was highly regulated? Same concept here. The OP has the right to contend his burning in the court of law. Get pictures of him putting them into the furnace and the subsequent smog they produce.
If its enough inconveience to your neighbors they might be willing to split the cost of taking it legal. You can get free advice from a lawer about how to handle it. In my mind the first step would be to approach him face to face, maybe with another neighbor that is effected and try to get him to listen. Then, send him a formal notice by certified mail that legal actions will be taken if the burning does not stop. Lastly, take him to court. If the OP had no intent other to moan about it then it was hardly worth his time to make this post.

Want to make this derail faster? Complaining about the neighbor and not wanting to do anything about it is about as equivalent to the black comminuty complaining about the police but make no attempts to change their behavior.

I don't really care that much about what he does. But I work outside much closer than700 yards from the douche. I would be ok with any wood that's untreated. I thought that was pretty much standard procedure. I'm sure if he could figure out a way to make the door bigger so he could just put a whole pallet of them in at 1 time he would.

Quite your *itching then and accept the fact that your neighbor is a douche and you'll be stuck breathing that garbage. Because your posts make us believe you care what he does (burn). Have a good day.

You've got me there. Years ago I worked at a VW dealership that burned used motor oil in an incinerator to heat the place. It burned so hot you would never know they were burning anything. Hardly the same as the smoke show shown in the pictures.

I've never seen an OWB except on here. Probably because firewood out here is so hard to come by and it never really gets that cold. An average winter day is probably high 30ies to low 40ies.

I had a neighbor who used to burn his household garbage in a burn barrel behind his house. He had to know it was wrong because he only ever did it at night. The only reason I know he was doing it was because of the smell any time the wind was right. I walked over and talked to him about it one day and it stopped. I have no idea why he ever did it in the first place but he was very apologetic about it.

When did this "sense of community" exist??
I've been here since 2010... and been railed, insulted, attacked, even threatened and called every name in the book from near day one.

And why??
Because I didn't... don't... fit the perceived mold (or should I say the accepted mold). Because I don't believe there's a "right" and "wrong" way to heat with wood... just because there's your way and my way don't make either way right or wrong. Because I don't hug trees, believe in magic, or roll-over and play dead on command. Because, in my mind, heating with wood ain't a religion, it's simply a way to stay warm... nothin' more, nothin' less.

"Sense of community" my azz... that sense wasn't extended to me, I was treated almost like some sort of alien from outer space at times because I saw no harm in using a little used oil to start a fire... or whatever.
It ain't that the "sense of community" is gone... it's just that your community ain't the overwhelming majority it once was.
I do get some pretty good laughs out'a it all though :D

Poor baby.....:popcorn2:

Latest posts

Back