The neighbors are burning railroad ties

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figured I might as well jump back in here because I actually have an owb. You can shut them down, I do it all the time and there are several ways to do it. Turn the water temp down and it won't fire as often. Turn your thermostat down and it also won't fire as often because there is fewer calls for heat. As for the taking several days to build back up to temp, yeah whatever you think. In the summer mine only fires maybe once a day or ever other day because there is little demand for heat. Hard to believe but the owb is able to survive doing this. I can lower the temp to whatever I want with mine partly because mine is stainless, try this with a mild steel one and you might be buying another new one soon. Condensation will rust it out quickly as many people have found out. I burn lots of stuff in mine but use a bit of common sense. I once threw a diaper in it because my grandson was visiting and the diaper got throw in the shop garbage can. The dog decided it would be a nice addition to his dogfood. I threw it in the owb, mistake that damn thing smoldered and smelled up the place for 2 days. I turned up the temp so the fire would burn it up quicker. As for the creosote poles I wouldn't be burning them in a mild steel one for sure, just not sure if it would rot it out or not and too much of a gamble to find out. Plastic, oil, diesel all have the same problem, they can burn at a very high rate of temperature, maybe enough to do damage to the owb if they can get enough air. Even cardboard can overheat it and cause it to boil over. Really it's the same as an indoor burner, would you burn railway ties inside your house?
PS, staged pic.
IMG-20131117-00339.jpg IMG-20131117-00340.jpg

There's more carcinogens in gasoline Marshy, you burn that every day... does that make you reckless??

If he's dumping gasoline on an open fire I guess you could call that reckless. If he's burning it in his car I wouldn't. The difference is that in an open fire your getting incomplete combustion, lots of black smoke, and lots of carcinogens. When burned in your car the combustion is near complete. In modern engines that stuff is almost immeasurable.

By that standard if you want to burn RR ties in an incinerator go for it!

There's more carcinogens in gasoline Marshy, you burn that every day... does that make you reckless??
The reckless part is the particulat emission being emitted by his process not the fact that it just contain it. That is why our cars have cats on them as well as new EPA stoves and scrubbers for coal plants. The point is to remove the carcinogens from the effluent and not ignore them and just continue to pump them into the air because "I have balls and do what I want" mentality.

I figured I might as well jump back in here because I actually have an owb. You can shut them down, I do it all the time and there are several ways to do it. Turn the water temp down and it won't fire as often. Turn your thermostat down and it also won't fire as often because there is fewer calls for heat. As for the taking several days to build back up to temp, yeah whatever you think. In the summer mine only fires maybe once a day or ever other day because there is little demand for heat. Hard to believe but the owb is able to survive doing this. I can lower the temp to whatever I want with mine partly because mine is stainless, try this with a mild steel one and you might be buying another new one soon. Condensation will rust it out quickly as many people have found out. I burn lots of stuff in mine but use a bit of common sense. I once threw a diaper in it because my grandson was visiting and the diaper got throw in the shop garbage can. The dog decided it would be a nice addition to his dogfood. I threw it in the owb, mistake that damn thing smoldered and smelled up the place for 2 days. I turned up the temp so the fire would burn it up quicker. As for the creosote poles I wouldn't be burning them in a mild steel one for sure, just not sure if it would rot it out or not and too much of a gamble to find out. Plastic, oil, diesel all have the same problem, they can burn at a very high rate of temperature, maybe enough to do damage to the owb if they can get enough air. Even cardboard can overheat it and cause it to boil over. Really it's the same as an indoor burner, would you burn railway ties inside your house?
PS, staged pic.
View attachment 416088 View attachment 416089

Man I don't know about any of you. But I had a few old telephone poles squared to 7x7's posts. These where 75 to 100 years old, I had left them in my work van overnight. I couldn't drive that vehicle without the windows open for 2 weeks. There is some bad $hit in them.

I would love to get my hands on a pile of RR ties like that to use for landscaping!
4ce7.jpg

...incomplete combustion, lots of black smoke, and lots of carcinogens.
The point is to remove the carcinogens from the effluent and not ignore them and just continue to pump them into the air because "I have balls and do what I want" mentality.

What is a "carcinogen"?? Well, simply put... something that causes cancer in humans.
What sort of creosote is used to treat railroad ties in the United States?? Answer... coal-tar creosote.
What is coal-tar creosote?? Basically the heavier oils derived from carbonization of bituminous coal.

Is coal-tar creosote carcinogenic to humans??
  • The International Agency For Research On Cancer smeared coal-tar creosote on shaved lab rats for several weeks, eventually sores developed on the skin (none died). Based on that they determined that coal-tar creosote probably is carcinogenic to humans. WTF?? Shaved lab rats coated in creosote for weeks developed sores on the skin... what a friggin' surprise.
  • The EPA states that coal-tar creosote is a probable human carcinogen based on animal and human studies. What studies?? Well, we have the lab rats above... and a 2005 study of creosote workers that found no (none, zip, zilch, nada) evidence supporting an increased risk of cancer death.
Now... what about the smoke from burning it. Well, basically, burning coal-tar creosote is the same thing as burning coal... coal-tar creosote is coal with the lighter gases and coke removed (nothing, absolutely nothing carcinogenic is added).

So now, I just gotta' ask... if a fella' burns coal in his wood/coal fired OWB, is he being reckless??

OK, so it stinks when burned, even makes smoke... but smoke and stink, in and of itself, ain't a carcinogen... smoke is mostly carbon (particulates, not necessarily carcinogens). For the most part, carcinogens emitted by combustion are invisible and odorless to human senses.

I got news for ya'... too much of anything ain't good for ya'... I can show ya' studies that conclude having sex is probably carcinogenic to humans... even more so than burning railroad ties.

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." - H.L. Mencken

"Throughout our history, on every level in any area of life there always has been some kind of manipulation aiming at achieving self-centered goals and often corrupting official systems. This behavior reflects the selfishness of human nature. It affects everyone without exception in every way. This is why we should always question everything we are told." - Mike Sygula

You can't just make this stuff up.

Actually you can.
That's pretty much what the EPA, the tree-huggers, the "carcinogen" crowd, and lord only knows who else have done... they've made up a hobgoblin to alarm the populace.

OMG‼ Don't burn creosote treated wood... it'll kill ya' faster than a speeding bullet‼

Friggin' ridiculous‼

I would love to get my hands on a pile of RR ties like that to use for landscaping!
4ce7.jpg

OMG‼ You must have one of those, "I have balls and do what I want" mentalities‼
You're a reckless, selfish, inconsiderate SOB‼ That's worse than burnin' 'em‼
You don't have the right to use them for landscaping... that might affect me‼
The creosote will leach into the soil and contaminate the ground water... my kids will drink it and... and... and die faster than a speedin' bullet can kill 'em‼

Just sayin'.

Latest posts

Back