The Newbs version of "Whadja do today?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bootboy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've been advised that since tree work is not my primary income, I should be posting here instead of the commercial forum. So, I'm starting our own version of a thread from over there for the weekend guys/part-timers. Let's hear your tales of forays into the murky depths of the world of tree care (or tree work for those of us that make no pretense of being a tree "care" pro).

Anyway, today I did a 70' tall, 2-1/2 stemmed poplar (one dead). 30" at BH. For a family member, so f&f discount. Took two of us 6 hours to get it on the ground and stacked. Had to rig much of it down to avoid the neighbor's new fence and out of someone else's yard. I climbed for probably 4 hours till the main stem was about 25" and then we dumped it. Pics and video to follow.

What'd yall do?

Last edited:
Oh yeah, don't forget the sweet tan. From my pulled up long sleeve shirt.
43acf8e6-7d7b-e468.jpg

Nice farmers tan!

Well, as I'm part-timin too, I'll join in.
Yesterday GM and I trimmed 1 Linden tree, 2 Sugar Maples, 1 Red maple, chipped and dumped.
Today we finished a larger job we started 2 weeks ago 15 hours of tree felling about 52 trees of varying sizes in a woodlot future housing project, most of which were 75 to 110 ft tall and from 6 " to 32" DBH the HO just did the fire wood cutting, we dropped and topped and chipped. Got paid cheques in the bank!:cool2: sorry no pics.

Nice work on the rigging. Setting two pullies like that does more than share the load - it redirects the *force* of the load so that it bisects the line betweein the in and out line of the pulley. That often results in loading the limbs in compression where they are way stronger. Very useful on compromised or rot prone trees like poplars. Setting 2 pulleys is a great way to start any rig. On top of that, it gives you two rigging points, just pull the line through and you can rig off the other side.

Shaun

Bootboy. Good rigging points! I work out of a bucket and will need to learn more of the rigging techniques like you're using. Greta job!:msp_thumbup:

Yeah looks pretty good... though I would have butt tied that piece he is about to cut, depending on how you hinge or swing it, tip tied stuff can swing back at you in the tree.

Granted I wasn't there but I'll nit pick two points for conversations sake: The block and the half hitch.

The block looks like it is slung a little high, above a nob without enough stem to hold it from rolling over the top.

The half hitch also apears to be set a little high, should be down at least 12" or so. This gives a little more safety factor for slack or slippage due to smooth bark or bark coming off.

Nice work on the rigging. Setting two pullies like that does more than share the load - it redirects the *force* of the load so that it bisects the line betweein the in and out line of the pulley. That often results in loading the limbs in compression where they are way stronger. Very useful on compromised or rot prone trees like poplars. Setting 2 pulleys is a great way to start any rig. On top of that, it gives you two rigging points, just pull the line through and you can rig off the other side.

Shaun

Imagineer, may have to small of screen, but I am not seeing the second block, also looks like the friction device is on another tree as rig line goes out of sight at an angle instead of down the sparr, this can creat more swing and stress on sparr rather than loading back to trunk of same tree. although having less than 90 degrees reduces load at block, another block higher on center stem would give described effect but I only see one block in the photos,

IT is important to point out that bootboy comes from a family of tree care, and climbing, and puting this in the home owner section may intise homeowners to attempt somthing that will get some one hurt, just my humble oppinion,
Paul

Last edited:
Even though I do this on a daily basis , I would rather be a part of a thread that was not started by a complete and total hypocrite , so if its OK with you guys I will add my what I did today stuff ....

My porta wrap was on the same tree. This pic was taken just before my GM tensioned the line. Since I was on a tree with codominant stems, I was careful to take small pieces and keep the load in line with the spar.

If you change the title! Looks good, the background on those pics is peeeerty. My backgrounds are usually ..............corn.

I'll have to change the title from my desktop... But, yeah. Anyway, I live here on the Wasatch front in northern Utah. It's a gorgeous place to live.
43acf8e6-8beb-1c70.jpg
what you see in those pics is basically what's out my back door.

Imagineer, may have to small of screen, but I am not seeing the second block, also looks like the friction device is on another tree as rig line goes out of sight at an angle instead of down the sparr, this can creat more swing and stress on sparr rather than loading back to trunk of same tree. although having less than 90 degrees reduces load at block, another block higher on center stem would give described effect but I only see one block in the photos,

Your eyes were keener than mine, or maybe I was just seeing what I wanted to see. I thought that tip tie on the second leader was a block but I was wrong. Not to say that was a bad appraoch, only the climber sees what is safe and what isn't, and especially in rot prone trees like poplars you'll just never know until you're up there. I've been up poplars on spurs and had the whole spike punch right through the tree. Scary stuff for sure.

For those who are attempting this sort of thing (since this in the the HO helper forum) sharing the load is a good thing to do. The load that a single pulley will see can be as much as 5 times the weight of the branch it's taking in a dynamic situation, or even more. Even in a static load scenario, the load the pulley sees is going to be at least double the weight of the branch. Adding a second pulley on a second stem does more than simply share the load between the two pulleys - it redirects the load so that it's pulled down more in line with the branches loading them in compression rather than simply pulling them downwards.

The first thing I do when up in a removal is set 2 pulleys. It gives you two lowering points, but it also distributes the load and redirects the forces in line with the branches. A great practice for sure.

Shaun

Whadja do today?

80ft oak. Last tree on a big job. Bombed one side of the top and rigged out the other. Had a great helper, my wife. She has been workin with me sometimes and she has been great. Better than a lot of other ground guys i have had. Shes a little light though. She was havin a hard time pullin sections over and gettin the rope out after. Kinda cute.
This was the worst wind swayin tree i have been in. I was up in it for 3 hours and layin in bed last night i was still swayin.
I just discovered using high lead straps for positioning helpers when making a cut. Gives u a nice staple base to pivot off of.I did make one mistake. I had one spar leaning the wrong way. I had it top tied and tried to face it to make it swing away from me, but no go. Swung around and knocked me in the shoulder and rigging line ran against my ankle on the way down. Good learning experience though.

Back