The Newbs version of "Whadja do today?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha ha, no problem. If its going to stay as cold as its supposed to i'm going to be chucking plenty of wood in that thing. I have a few jobs lined up for this winter to do but if the weather stays like it has been its going to be hard to get them done. Stuff just does't want to work too well in the cold much less getting equipment around in the snow. It seems like everything takes twice as long in the winter vs. the other seasons. How do you guys that are in the snowy states get things cleaned up? The work that I have done lately i have taken the skid and cleared the area of snow. I have no problem with the bulk of it but i havent been doing a whole bunch of raking just because its futile. I make it clear to everyone that it might not be cleaned perfectly.
We shovel clear the LZ and paths to and from. First thing we do and don't start until it is perfect. Makes for much easier clean up. Throw a small tarp down for gear. Keep salt on truck in case needed (Icy walks ). And I always lower any clean up expectations, but most are totally understanding

Cut a couple thousand feet of ten foot ground to sky right of way. Had to crank a large hickory away from phone line. I'm tired.

Assembled a Stihl 026 crank case. Installed bearings, put in the crank, brought it all together and snugged the 5 screws down. Then relieved the crank with a few taps of the brass hammer...yep it was fun.

Finished my first residential job today, with my own newly formed firm :)
Birch who's been topped off many years ago, some rot was seen..
This guy was a two day job for me solo. Really took my time to not screw up :)
20150811_193407.jpg
20150831_185627.jpg
20150903_191318.jpg

Attachments

• 20150811_193407.jpg
    20150811_193407.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 51
If u got it down safe and sound and didnt break anything . And got paid, you did great. Taking extra time is fine. Go to fast and u either take Z big chance it will cost you. Or, you leave money on the table.
good job.
Thanks! I'll rather go slow over several days than make a mistake :)
Edit: Even though it's a small job like that

Worked my first shift as a groundman felling some fern pines so I'm pretty sore. Loved the work even though it nearly killed me :laugh:, plus I was lucky to be part of a good crew that taught me a great deal.

I'd say that it was a pretty good day.

Put down the ropes and saws, borrowed a friends TLB and dug a ditch for some improved drainage on a trail I maintain……Not my house…..drainage project.jpg

50"DBH white pine. 2 long days of climbing and rigging limbs down, dropped the last of the trunk on the 3rd day. Climbing with a 36" Bar on the 660 is a workout.View attachment 456794

That's the worst part about those kind of jobs. As I keep sending saws down, the ones coming up are increasingly heavier, as I'm more tired....36" bar on a 395 is my big saw, so I hear ya.

Sooo was that a trim? I got dizzy with all the lanyard action. And I'd recommend a proper chainsaw lanyard, you'll hate yourself a lot if your saw gets hung with a falling piece without a breakaway

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

This footage is from a removal that I solo climbed to make the homeowner happy since the contractor's I freelance for decided not to show up on time... I prefer rope chainsaw lanyards and the only concern I usually have is the climbing line since all the other ropes I simply just move out of harms way in the case I take large limbs. As for the lanyard action this tree had a mean lean and where I chose to set my line up required it outside of the fact the recommended 2 tie in points when cutting or else I would swing 3-4 ft+ away from the target limbs and I was dazed a little my self..lol but thats part of the game we play. Take care.

This footage is from a removal that I solo climbed to make the homeowner happy since the contractor's I freelance for decided not to show up on time... I prefer rope chainsaw lanyards and the only concern I usually have is the climbing line since all the other ropes I simply just move out of harms way in the case I take large limbs. As for the lanyard action this tree had a mean lean and where I chose to set my line up required it outside of the fact the recommended 2 tie in points when cutting or else I would swing 3-4 ft+ away from the target limbs and I was dazed a little my self..lol but thats part of the game we play. Take care.
Maybe I just don't see the point of removing a hanger and trimming off a small branch or two then coming down if u are removing the tree??
So you prefer a 10 foot long saw lanyard that could potentially hang a thousand pound piece from your saddle? Does it happen often no but could it yea yea it could it's like chaps do u plan on cutting your leg off? No but sometimes it happens... What can a rope lanyard do that a bungee/breakaway cant? Besides let the saw hang way the flock below you...
Maybe I just don't get it, dunno

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Back