The Newbs version of "Whadja do today?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes I feel like I am standing on a dock watching western culture drift away from me like a massive boat.
As I imagine it the people on the deck are not waving 'good-bye', they are looking away, toward the horizon.
The future.
The boat is getting away,
I don't bring this up to generate sympathy. No one threw me overboard.
Disembarking was a conscious choice.
And so is returning.
With a little effort, I can take a skiff out any time and scramble up that 'gang plank' anytime.
Jeff, (Chuck Lorre)

Sometimes I feel like I am standing on a dock watching western culture drift away from me like a massive boat.
As I imagine it the people on the deck are not waving 'good-bye', they are looking away, toward the horizon.
The future.
The boat is getting away,
I don't bring this up to generate sympathy. No one threw me overboard.
Disembarking was a conscious choice.
And so is returning.
With a little effort, I can take a skiff out any time and scramble up that 'gang plank' anytime.
Jeff, (Chuck Lorre)
You got something to say? Say it to my face![emoji79]

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Nice vid, Music choice = painful. I agree on the saw lanyard. The shorter break away works for me too. I'm old (maybe why your sound track isn't my cuppa) and need every advantage I can eke out to be efficient. I'm always looking for ways to shave effort & time to conserve energy because I'm so old and frail. I watched in horror as you wasted precious time and energy to untangle your ropes from the saw lanyard, and (gasp!) as you had to reel the saw in and out from a few feet below you….

If you do like that saw lanyard so much, I recommend that you continue to trim every branch and cut every limb to one handed sized pieces (for pruning as well as removals) you can more easily toss them away from your dangling saw……If you haven't caught anything on your saw yet, you are lucky. Post more videos (its easy enough for me to turn down the volume…..besides I'm half deaf anyway) :D

Maybe I just don't see the point of removing a hanger and trimming off a small branch or two then coming down if u are removing the tree??
So you prefer a 10 foot long saw lanyard that could potentially hang a thousand pound piece from your saddle? Does it happen often no but could it yea yea it could it's like chaps do u plan on cutting your leg off? No but sometimes it happens... What can a rope lanyard do that a bungee/breakaway cant? Besides let the saw hang way the flock below you...
Maybe I just don't get it, dunno

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Understandably you couldn't understand why I would get a hanger out a tree and come down but you have to realize what parts of this story I left out such as the fact that I arrived 8:15 sharp set my rope, set up port-a-wrap, got all my gear rigging/climbing etc. yada yada on or set up and waited for these guys to show up to their job which was supposed to start 8:30. Both the homeowner and his wife come out and are concerned with this tree and spoke at length with me because they started Thursday and this vid was shot Sunday. My time is important, I put off things off and I wanted to help get these guys out of a pickle being that we have done business before. 2 hours go by no show no calls or return call so for the sake of safety of the homeowner (get the hanger out) then for the sake of me coming out and not allowing my trip to be completely in vain I did what I had to do, I climbed. And as for my chainsaw lanyard thats my preference just like yours is a breakaway and who am I to judge you because of the style of lanyard you use. No doubt, you got me on not wearing my chaps which I simply just didn't wear although had them with me. However, there is no specific standard for chainsaw lanyard here that I know of or have seen but I have seen many different styles because what one man might prefer the other might not. I know you are concerned and trying to look out for me but as for a thousand pound piece I don't plan on getting hanged up anytime soon, which is why I strategically remove limbs and wood off the trees I remove for my safety and any guys that might be working with me. I control the size of the part of a tree I want to remove at a given time which is why take smaller manageable pieces if rigging is required.

Yes. Not the place I'd put a tree, maybe a rose bush or other flowers. The new tree should go where the old one is removed. I like this tread but agree the guys posting here are much more than weekend warriors. Sounds like some serious tree work. Be careful out there homeowners and arborist alike!

Nice vid, Music choice = painful. I agree on the saw lanyard. The shorter break away works for me too. I'm old (maybe why your sound track isn't my cuppa) and need every advantage I can eke out to be efficient. I'm always looking for ways to shave effort & time to conserve energy because I'm so old and frail. I watched in horror as you wasted precious time and energy to untangle your ropes from the saw lanyard, and (gasp!) as you had to reel the saw in and out from a few feet below you….

If you do like that saw lanyard so much, I recommend that you continue to trim every branch and cut every limb to one handed sized pieces (for pruning as well as removals) you can more easily toss them away from your dangling saw……If you haven't caught anything on your saw yet, you are lucky. Post more videos (its easy enough for me to turn down the volume…..besides I'm half deaf anyway) :D
Heres my latest you might like these old school tunes...lol...

Hard to tell from the camera angle, etc., but it looks like you could have put a line in that tree and flopped the whole thing over into the field, without having all the climbing? I'm sure there was more to it, just wondering...

Hard to tell from the camera angle, etc., but it looks like you could have put a line in that tree and flopped the whole thing over into the field, without having all the climbing? I'm sure there was more to it, just wondering...

The tree appeared to have a split and gave evidence that it might be rotten in the core so in an effort to lay the tree down as flat as possible we took off the weight on what we thought was the weakest side in hopes of guiding it over the shed in case it split under pressure. Its just one of those cases better safer than sorry but as it turns out this oak was really solid.

Dropping a few pictures here from some recent jobs.

My wife and I on a 40" cottonwood.

13016743_1002321539845711_88518988_o.jpg
12986548_1002322483178950_1012449101_o.jpg

Monster Cottonwood
12891086_1982121545347409_463979949993689257_o.jpg

Large American elm that was full of concrete:rare2:

12512282_1972571036302460_4789767236668415605_n.jpg

Back