The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last year in theses parts, we cut hay 2nd of May! Then went right to summer and a nasty drought. I think we had over 20 days of 105*+

This year is looking normal so far but I have already had a few days in low 90's

I'm going to bed lol you guys depressing me with ya talk of heat lol

Even thought there is a thread for off topic chatting...none of "Us" are on it. I figure maybe this will be a place to discuss whatever such as "How ya doing" "Whats yer weather" "Yer in the dog house aye" "I woke up on the floor" or maybe even some logging discussion. :msp_w00t: ...instead of cluttering up Falling Pics. What say you guys? Hopefully the Pro guys will chime in and this thread goes over good enough.

I will start off...

bitzer- the saw has many many miles on it for sure. I burn an average of 1 1/2 to 2 gallons a day through it 5 to 6 days a week...so yeah, less than fresh motor. If I get a new one I will send one the 046's to ya...both are equally worn. I think I understand what you are saying about running that saw lie I still have a short bar on it. Habits...

ok now...somebody say something :rock:

Great idea TC, only problem, You boys are pros. Y'all get paid to put wood on the ground. BTW, I'm totally serious about shipping you a saw to use if you send yours off. I'd rather have a strong 460 than a 660 for the size of wood you deal with.

Jrcat. I've got 3 boys and one mean as a snake (just like her momma) girl. Who are you raising all by u'r lonesome?

Graeme, how's that musician SIL behaving?

The people in Moore, ok are in my thoughts and prayers. Peace and health to alla'y'all

Great idea TC, only problem, You boys are pros. Y'all get paid to put wood on the ground. BTW, I'm totally serious about shipping you a saw to use if you send yours off. I'd rather have a strong 460 than a 660 for the size of wood you deal with.

Jrcat. I've got 3 boys and one mean as a snake (just like her momma) girl. Who are you raising all by u'r lonesome?

Graeme, how's that musician SIL behaving?

The people in Moore, ok are in my thoughts and prayers. Peace and health to alla'y'all

they not talking to me lol.......he still of wedding guest list lol..........mind ya after the girls were all home I think I am too lol

Well, being as I have (2) 046's, if I got a 660R then I could just use it for the bigger stuff and just rotate out with the 046. Murfee's Law would suggest anything that "can" and "will" happen...I greatly appreciate your offer on your saw though. Ummm....is it for sale??? :msp_w00t:

Thing about the 660, within the next couple of weeks I am moving to a tract where some massive pine is laid down but still alive, and the tops are in a fashion the ERC crew cutting in there now can't get around well. I heard there are (3) 5fters down in just one area. Should be some goods pics and vids come from this tract.

Well, being as I have (2) 046's, if I got a 660R then I could just use it for the bigger stuff and just rotate out with the 046. Murfee's Law would suggest anything that "can" and "will" happen...I greatly appreciate your offer on your saw though. Ummm....is it for sale??? :msp_w00t:

Thing about the 660, within the next couple of weeks I am moving to a tract where some massive pine is laid down but still alive, and the tops are in a fashion the ERC crew cutting in there now can't get around well. I heard there are (3) 5fters down in just one area. Should be some goods pics and vids come from this tract.

You'll enjoy dropping the pine ......always prefer them to Hardwoods ......more predictable

My "big" saw is definitely not for sale. I usually see saws as just another tool, but I love that 385. I just picked up a good looking used cylinder on eBay and I'm gonna see if mastermind will port it and cut the squish band. Guys with ported 385/390's usually seem to like 'em, so we'll see. Right now the saw is 50 miles away with JakeG helping him mill. I'm sure it's happy, but I miss it!

5 ft would be fun, I'm jealous as usual. Biggest I ever fell was 48". Shook stuff at the house 1/4 mile away when it hit

A full wrap or a 3/4 is the only way to stop back barring seems like to me. I think that 660R comes with a 3/4 wrap???

Well its one way to stop , you just as easy walk around to the other side.
Some trees will be required to be back barred but I
try to keep it to a minimum on the bigger stuff. Wrap handle or bust.

Learned a quick lesson today. Took in a small side job with very good pine with some gum and poplar mixed in, saw logs are going for 35- 40 bucks a ton that's just the soft wood, hardwood pulp are going for 30 a ton.. Well I showed and started my usual felling and the land owner walks up, I agreed to clear the fence row for the trees and remove the limbs and take care of the stumps, he said I could have all the wood I wanted for that. Well now he wants a 60% share of the timber, now I'd gladly give him 45%. Taking in account I just rented a trackhoe to do stumps and load brush. What I would maybe make off the trees would only be maybe 500 profit to myself after fuel and rental prices. Well I just loaded up my stuff and went home, since I'm no pro,mi want some advice on this guys, did I mess up?

I think walking away from a money losing situation with someone who may be less than honest is never a bad decision. This is more a life lesson than a logging lesson, but I bet it applies to logging as well

Learned a quick lesson today. Took in a small side job with very good pine with some gum and poplar mixed in, saw logs are going for 35- 40 bucks a ton that's just the soft wood, hardwood pulp are going for 30 a ton.. Well I showed and started my usual felling and the land owner walks up, I agreed to clear the fence row for the trees and remove the limbs and take care of the stumps, he said I could have all the wood I wanted for that. Well now he wants a 60% share of the timber, now I'd gladly give him 45%. Taking in account I just rented a trackhoe to do stumps and load brush. What I would maybe make off the trees would only be maybe 500 profit to myself after fuel and rental prices. Well I just loaded up my stuff and went home, since I'm no pro,mi want some advice on this guys, did I mess up?

Simple. Your word is no good. The landowner can't make a deal with a guy that walks away.

Back