The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simple. Your word is no good. The landowner can't make a deal with a guy that walks away.

It sounds to me like the landowner's word was no good, if he said he would trade clearing/stumping for the wood, then demanded 60% of the wood. I don't think shearhead should be expected to honor an agreement even though the terms are radically changed midstream. I just did some work for a friend in exchange for a bottle of Johnny Walker black, if he said he was gonna give me a six pack of coors light instead, I'd be pretty pissed

Learned a quick lesson today. Took in a small side job with very good pine with some gum and poplar mixed in, saw logs are going for 35- 40 bucks a ton that's just the soft wood, hardwood pulp are going for 30 a ton.. Well I showed and started my usual felling and the land owner walks up, I agreed to clear the fence row for the trees and remove the limbs and take care of the stumps, he said I could have all the wood I wanted for that. Well now he wants a 60% share of the timber, now I'd gladly give him 45%. Taking in account I just rented a trackhoe to do stumps and load brush. What I would maybe make off the trees would only be maybe 500 profit to myself after fuel and rental prices. Well I just loaded up my stuff and went home, since I'm no pro,mi want some advice on this guys, did I mess up?

Your word is your word, but don't trust the other guy. Put it all in writing and sign it. Without the paper trail the judge is going to call you stupid .

Roberte is right ya gotta get things in writing these days .......Just a thought if this is the same tract that was logged etc then just be aware that some one else may have a vested interest and is telling the guy who owns said what pulp and saw log prices are.

The days of gentlemens agreements have kinda gone .....sad but mostly true

Learned a quick lesson today. Took in a small side job with very good pine with some gum and poplar mixed in, saw logs are going for 35- 40 bucks a ton that's just the soft wood, hardwood pulp are going for 30 a ton.. Well I showed and started my usual felling and the land owner walks up, I agreed to clear the fence row for the trees and remove the limbs and take care of the stumps, he said I could have all the wood I wanted for that. Well now he wants a 60% share of the timber, now I'd gladly give him 45%. Taking in account I just rented a trackhoe to do stumps and load brush. What I would maybe make off the trees would only be maybe 500 profit to myself after fuel and rental prices. Well I just loaded up my stuff and went home, since I'm no pro,mi want some advice on this guys, did I mess up?

I would not have paid him 60% for the timber if I didn't have to rent stuff. maybe 50
that is why guys charge so much for land clearing, it cost them to do it. I think you did right walking away. oh, I do a lot of handshake deals, jus be sure who your dealing with. and yet if the property was jus logged, it is possible they are not even his trees to sell, contract my not yet be run out. contracts good 2 years many times. be carefull following loggers

I will have to re-read your post but it sounds to me that you started the job and the LO sprung a higher percentage for himself on ya!? 60% is high for LO share...should be visa versa. JMO

Last edited:
So you guys remember me talking a while back about that guy that was going to cut with me some...the fancy pants with the fancy cuts? Well like usual, I take people for what they are until I figure out different. Dude wouldn't show for work and #### around with the loader...anything he could do to get out of cutting basically. Well anyway...goes with the normal people I have had to put up with.

I been splitting (3) parcels of timber the last couple weeks, finished one and started another one for the same LO. I left 3 or 4 loads in the woods when I was moved back to the original job I have been cutting more frequently. I find out that the part timer moved to the little tract where I left the logs in the woods. His job was going to be skid them up and I would go back and finish...I just do what I'm told. So I find out that the partimer has told my boss that if he could hire a kid from out his way, that he would gaurantee 10 loads a week. Then he proceded to say he would bet my boss an extra $100 a week that they could out produce me and the skidder op I have with me. HELL YES!!

So evidently this pissed my boss off because he knew the part timer was full of crap and couldn't out cut me for the world. Kinda hard to out cut someone if you cant show up for work! ;) So here is what happened. My boss called me today and told me the situation, he told me he was pissed at the part timer and thinks he's an idiot. He said he felt the guy stuck his foot in his mouth and is going to honor the bet or log off however you want to put it. He said he was only going to pay those guys per load just to prove his point. I was like, he can't beat me...I love a challenge. So my boss said if I can beat the other guys he would give me an extra $200 a week! I was like Hell for that kind of money I will cut 15 loads a week!!! GAME ON!!! I was seeing RED most of the day, actually I kind of liked it. The LO on this job is a super nice man. He sits out in his truck and listens for me, he knows I get left alone all the time. I told him of the bet and he just laughed and shook his head. The LO know my production better than I do because he watches every truck that gets loaded. I came out of the woods once and he was like, ya need anything, gas, cold drink...He wants me to stomp that other guy...the LO was totally unimpressed by the fancy pants! LOL!

ps..I worked Monday while no one else either site showed up! LOL! I already have 3 loads ahead from Monday plus I dropped 2 1/4 gallons of gas worth today!!! :msp_w00t:

Oh...I put my 20" back on and yep...that saw isn't strong enough to pull that 30". I produced waaaay better with the 20"...but I was cutting a smaller on the average set today also.

Last edited:
Go for it bro .......plan your day well and work steady and your production will be good .....good and well planned lays will give ya good production

Oh I'm all over it! LOL! $200 extra a week...can't pass this up!

Yeh, I planned my lay down right up until I reached the property line fence, so there is one set laying parallel to the fence and then I backed up and T-Boned them with the rest of the set...:hmm3grin2orange: Thats what the skidder is for!

Oh I'm all over it! LOL! $200 extra a week...can't pass this up!

Yeh, I planned my lay down right up until I reached the property line fence, so there is one set laying parallel to the fence and then I backed up and T-Boned them with the rest of the set...:hmm3grin2orange: Thats what the skidder is for!

then your ahead of the game.....good reading, good planning, clean cutting, no rushing, no over confidence = good falling and production which = safety which = more money which = you going home happy and in one piece and you get ya new saw.

shear head ... I have one word for you .......CONTRACT. Always always have a contract. Find a lawyer that knows the ins and outs of the timber industry in your area and your circumstances that you do business under, and have him draw you up a multipurpose contract. It will be worth the ching to him or her do that for you. Then ALWAYS use that contract and adjust it to each job or tract as needed. This contract should protect you from instances like this. There will be a legal battle and a sour LO but if he signs it he is bound to it.

You got pinched on this one but as others have said I would NOT have left that tract. I would have stopped cutting and worked it out with the LO then if nothing could come of it then walk. Word of mouth can be your WORST enemy or your best friend. Also keep in mind that no matter what you do or how well you treat people there will always be someone out there that hates your guts and will bad mouth you to the hilt. Opinions are like holes..everyone has one ( I couldnt use the "right" term there). That is just part of the cost of doing business , get used to it or go get a day job.

Please bear in mind that I am not trying to discourage you or discount what you have accomplished, just merely trying to give you some advice.

jrcat- did ya drop some more of those nice RO today?

No it monsooned this morning...remnants of the system that made that tornado. I checked on a 40 acre tract this morning then went back to mine this afternoon and pulled 6 turns out and plugged my landing full. :yoyo:

then your ahead of the game.....good reading, good planning, clean cutting, no rushing, no over confidence = good falling and production which = safety which = more money which = you going home happy and in one piece and you get ya new saw.

I might be a bit confident...the way I see it, I have been burning my candle at both ends for years...never have I been challenged...and I'm game for it! Physically I'm prepared and it's going to be hot this week. All I can figure is the dude must have gotten a hold of some good stuff! :cool2:

No it monsooned this morning...remnants of the system that made that tornado. I checked on a 40 acre tract this morning then went back to mine this afternoon and pulled 6 turns out and plugged my landing full. :yoyo:

Yeh, I seen that system was headed across a big section of the States. What a mess! Looks like hundreds of volunteers showed up in Moore today! That's awesome!

I might be a bit confident...the way I see it, I have been burning my candle at both ends for years...never have I been challenged...and I'm game for it! Physically I'm prepared and it's going to be hot this week. All I can figure is the dude must have gotten a hold of some good stuff! :cool2:

I wasn't suggesting you were over confident lol...........just trying to cool your ram jets young man lol to help ya get what ya want ..........no offense meant or intended

Yeh, I seen that system was headed across a big section of the States. What a mess! Looks like hundreds of volunteers showed up in Moore today! That's awesome!

If I wasnt tied up here and didnt have kids I would volunteer myself. Me and my best bud were headed to NYC for 9/11 clean up and we got told to stand down. That was a horrid mess. 345 Cat hoes dwarfed by Giant mountains of debris. The company I worked for sent 3 120 yard walking floors down to NYC for Hurricane sandy clean up I took one down and was going to stay for a week, the pay was awesome but the traffic....... with a KW w-900 sleeper tractor and 48 foot of giant 1 year old MAC walking floor....no thanks I came back home the next day lol. It was costing the drivers $75 one way to cross the tapanzee bridge and they didnt get it refunded till a week later once everything got straightened out.

I know the misery of the clean up but I do not know the misery of losing everything. I feel very bad for those people.

Ha..none taken! :hmm3grin2orange: I just got to thinkin I might have come off that way! LOL! It's that deep seeded racer mentality! :blob2:

Latest posts

Back