The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TC when you skid sticks are they tree length or do ya buck to size? and what is your usual percentage pulp to saw logs?

We skid lengths. It just depends from tree to tree, some will be all saw logs and some will be doubles or triples with scrag, and some will be all scrag.

wew, took a while dudes. pretty good day, buyer called and wanted a load a good white oak didn't care if the bark came off. made my job easy, 7 trees on the truck and gone. no rain yet, jus sheep flies. yea water spouts bad, wife is a watermans daughter she's seen um up close. I got two grown boys from first wife[dirty word] 8 year old son with wifey 2. I always find I get more done smoother if i'm not in a hurry. wew :yoyo:

oh, tc get ya some 10"triple taper wedges, they work dude

I like the triple and double taper ......never seen this stateside but guys here use a high lift wedge .....it alu with a wooden spike that gets thumped in .......never used one but they saythey good lol......

wew, took a while dudes. pretty good day, buyer called and wanted a load a good white oak didn't care if the bark came off. made my job easy, 7 trees on the truck and gone. no rain yet, jus sheep flies. yea water spouts bad, wife is a watermans daughter she's seen um up close. I got two grown boys from first wife[dirty word] 8 year old son with wifey 2. I always find I get more done smoother if i'm not in a hurry. wew :yoyo:

oh, tc get ya some 10"triple taper wedges, they work dude

I was wanting a double taper...crap I would chew a 10" all to shreds in our little timber. What about the bark??? Does that matter sometimes? Heck this time of year the bark offers to slip..doesn't even have to be abused. It will be like this for a few more weeks then tighten back up again once the rain goes away for a bit.

What Ive been cutting the butt logs have gone mostly for veneer then 1's 2's and 3's I have been averaging 4 to 5 logs per tree. It helps when they are 60' plus though. Im into ash right now. I was going to keep sending them to the same buyer but he only wants to give $650/thousand for ash. I found another buyer thats paying $1500/thousand on the ash butt logs and $750 for 1's . The butts he sell for veneer himself. I can deal with that price though and let him worry about them splitting or if they will meet grade .

I was wanting a double taper...crap I would chew a 10" all to shreds in our little timber. What about the bark??? Does that matter sometimes? Heck this time of year the bark offers to slip..doesn't even have to be abused. It will be like this for a few more weeks then tighten back up again once the rain goes away for a bit.

he don't normally want the bark off as the wood may stain[veneer logs] yea 7 to a trailer load nice oak. he needed them to finish a order

10" wedges work on 20" and up trees, jus hafta learn to not cut so deep a face. I know tc, it took me a while ta accept this too but it works good in some instances

if cut and let lay with top on 3 days bark stays on better. this is why I can sell good logs this time of year when others are cut off

Last edited:
What Ive been cutting the butt logs have gone mostly for veneer then 1's 2's and 3's I have been averaging 4 to 5 logs per tree. It helps when they are 60' plus though. Im into ash right now. I was going to keep sending them to the same buyer but he only wants to give $650/thousand for ash. I found another buyer thats paying $1500/thousand on the ash butt logs and $750 for 1's . The butts he sell for veneer himself. I can deal with that price though and let him worry about them splitting or if they will meet grade .

cat, take some pics of your ash if ya can. I curios to see if they look like ours. 650 bout all we get here now. I remember getting 1500 years ago

I'll get some pics in a few days. They are in a big die off right now ...emerold ash borer ....dang chinese bug brought here I guess. they bore in just under the bark and girddle the tree.

Ash over here is getting cut heavy as we got Ash die back from somewhere in Europe.....I'd have to check again but I'm sure that it against law to plant Ash at the mo

About a hour after I posted that, the land owners son called and said for me to come back and get the wood cut and the stumps up, iv known the guys son since high school and he knows I'm not trying to jip anybody. The old man told me he was just trying to cover himself, but I saw something different. Well I guess I'll do the job, the son must have called another guy who's wasn't interested in the wood hahaha, oh and im thinking of maybe going up to Oklahoma with my saws and see if I can do any good, also if any of you guys close to MS and need a contract feller, give me a PM. I'm always looking to learn!

I'll get some pics in a few days. They are in a big die off right now ...emerold ash borer ....dang chinese bug brought here I guess. they bore in just under the bark and girddle the tree.

carful cutin dead trees, they dangerus. ash bore ain't crossed the bay yet that I've herd.

Actually I sent a pm to him a week or so about doing it. He never said anything back so I guess it's cool :msp_confused:

Why did ya ask that? Now I'm scared :msp_scared:

Don't be scared...well, not yet anyway. I think you guys having your own thread is a great idea. That way you don't bother us elderly grumpy types with your boyish enthusiasm and general good cheer.

But check in once in awhile anyway so we can keep track of what you kids are up to. :laugh:

Play nice.

Don't be scared...well, not yet anyway. I think you guys having your own thread is a great idea. That way you don't bother us elderly grumpy types with your boyish enthusiasm and general good cheer.

But check in once in awhile anyway so we can keep track of what you kids are up to. :laugh:

Play nice.

:rock::clap::cheers::bowdown:

Play nice.

thank you Bob, and you can bs wit us any time. :D

Latest posts

Back