The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Daily? That doesn't sound right. Like a water separator filter? How cold is it there lately? When it gets below freezing here I've made sure my filters were changed prior and I run fuel conditioner every time I fill up regardless if the fuel is winter blend. Saves me lots of trouble. I can't imagine it's getting that cold for you though? Usually they don't start at all if gelled and that takes some cold temps.

+17-20f over the last couple days.

cracked the drain and nothing came out, so I'm thinking its just got water in it and that froze and plugged the line. Same thing happened to the missus when I tried to weld the hole after filling the tank with water... didn't get it all out...

Gelling isn't generally an issue out here, fungus and water is though, and this ole machine sat for some time before I came along and made it happy.

I'll either have to find some way of warming up the tank without lighting it on fire or wait a couple days until the weather warms up a wee bit.

I've been putting conditioner in, but maybe too little too late... perhaps once a week on the drain would be more better.

Fresh fuel/oil/hydro filters, after I bought her so only about 70 hrs on them so far, may be a water seperator filter somewhere but I don't know where, except the petcok under the tank.

Likely it hasn't been drained in over a year or more, when I got it it only had 1/4 tank so lots of room for condensation, that and I don't really like the fuel cap... its factory, but the locking mechanism has plenty of room for leakage

+17-20f over the last couple days.

cracked the drain and nothing came out, so I'm thinking its just got water in it and that froze and plugged the line. Same thing happened to the missus when I tried to weld the hole after filling the tank with water... didn't get it all out...

Gelling isn't generally an issue out here, fungus and water is though, and this ole machine sat for some time before I came along and made it happy.

I'll either have to find some way of warming up the tank without lighting it on fire or wait a couple days until the weather warms up a wee bit.

I've been putting conditioner in, but maybe too little too late... perhaps once a week on the drain would be more better.

Fresh fuel/oil/hydro filters, after I bought her so only about 70 hrs on them so far, may be a water seperator filter somewhere but I don't know where, except the petcok under the tank.

Likely it hasn't been drained in over a year or more, when I got it it only had 1/4 tank so lots of room for condensation, that and I don't really like the fuel cap... its factory, but the locking mechanism has plenty of room for leakage
There's something called 911 fuel treatment it's like heet for gas don't remember who makes it off hand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Yeah NAPA gots it, I'll have to throw some in there, be monday before I get back up there anyway.

Might warm up by then, or not.
Hope this freezing rain stays away from here personally, I treat my big tanks per load in the winter haven't had issues since it gets expensive up front but what's a tank of fuel worth.

I just have the 40gal transfer in the crummy, and what ever is in each machine.

I'll glug a little in on every other fill up or so.

I don't like the machines getting under 1/2 tank, mostly cause I can't carry that much fuel, sometimes takes a second trip to fill em both up. The Missus doesn't have a working fuel gauge so she gets topped off every other day or so, 24 gal tank on her, and I've only put more then 12 gallons on 3 occasions, normally its around 8 or so.

The essavator burns 8-12 a day, I like to run her on economy, mostly cause I'm a little smoother at lower rpms, but also creates less heat, heat is bad.

How many fuel filters do you have? I would think you would have two. One of them has a drain. Spin them off and fill new ones with 911 if all else fails. Some of those machines self prime.

You guys are funny. Shut things down because of snow and freezing rain. The kids here run out in their swimming suits in the freezing rain.

How many fuel filters do you have? I would think you would have two. One of them has a drain. Spin them off and fill new ones with 911 if all else fails. Some of those machines self prime.

You guys are funny. Shut things down because of snow and freezing rain. The kids here run out in their swimming suits in the freezing rain.

Have to to in Oregon we have to make sure the creeks and steam don't get crud in them damn laws.

Not sure if there are 2 have to do some digging on that.

There is a tiny little thing that looks like a filter but I'm not sure what it is, engine on this thing isn't exactly easy to get too.

Cold don't bother me, 7 million idiots that can't keep their suburbans and subarus on the road does bother me.

When it does snow which its doing right now, there will be at least 3 people stuck in the ditch just on the way into town, more once I get to the highway... simply not a fun day.

if it sticks at all... then wait a day or so and all the dummys will have taken themselves out and its not so bad.

Freezing rain is a bad bad deal out here, guaranteed to destroy power lines topple trees and cause general mayhem.

Not sure if there are 2 have to do some digging on that.

There is a tiny little thing that looks like a filter but I'm not sure what it is, engine on this thing isn't exactly easy to get too.

Cold don't bother me, 7 million idiots that can't keep their suburbans and subarus on the road does bother me.

When it does snow which its doing right now, there will be at least 3 people stuck in the ditch just on the way into town, more once I get to the highway... simply not a fun day.

if it sticks at all... then wait a day or so and all the dummys will have taken themselves out and its not so bad.

Freezing rain is a bad bad deal out here, guaranteed to destroy power lines topple trees and cause general mayhem.
Is it a gravity feed system?

No, its a pumped system, tank and motor are on the same level
That smaller filter should be a heavy sediment filter or screen, the engine shouldn't be that bad to get to with a full tail swing machine both of my 200 sized machines I can stand up or sit down in to work on the engines. Most filters will be near the injection pump.

If you wax (gel) a filter throw it out. Unless you don't have spares of course then the 911 trick works. If they frozen bad I hang then on the tailpipe of the pickup to warm it for a while. We switch to a ten micron filter for winter as well. They have a lot less problems compared with the 4 micron summer primary's.

When it snows out there it's a mess I imagine. It would be like first snowfall every tine. Wet snow is always treacherous. More like gravel once everything freeze drys. Excellent traction once the temps get below zero.

Yeah NAPA gots it, I'll have to throw some in there, be monday before I get back up there anyway.

Might warm up by then, or not.

Aim a torpedo heater into the engine bay for half an hour to an hour or so. That will get you running on the coldest days and should thaw any ice in your tank.

If there isn't a water separator it should be easy to add one.

Aim a torpedo heater into the engine bay for half an hour to an hour or so. That will get you running on the coldest days and should thaw any ice in your tank.

If there isn't a water separator it should be easy to add one.
Done that for idlers on the D4 that freezes solid.

That smaller filter should be a heavy sediment filter or screen, the engine shouldn't be that bad to get to with a full tail swing machine both of my 200 sized machines I can stand up or sit down in to work on the engines. Most filters will be near the injection pump.

Its a full tail yes... but it is a smaller machine with 90hp not much room to work with, i can get my arms in if i lay on muh belly, but only one arm at a time cause the freckin doore is in the way... opens to the left and the cab on yer right side only leaves about a foot of ass space.

Later models the hood opens too the back much easier to work on, as it is you jave to dan e around the hood while holding it open just to check the oil

Back