The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lotsa mills have gone to 32" and less.

Partly cause not many are cutting big wood anymore, partly cause they are mostly feeding off their own timber so they can harvest on a shorter cycle.
A lot of it has to do with there's not much big wood left as well as everything is mechanized now. Around 2000 is when the last ten union Weyerhauser fallers were let go and that's when stuff started to change to the 32" butt unless it's a temple sort that can go up to 46" export.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Didn't know if you had the single tire tracks and how much of a difference they make.
One a separate note does anyone know where a clambunk forwarder is and has anyone ran one before? Stuff out here is changing in a hurry and company work has dried up for now so back to long logs CTL for me.

Didn't know if you had the single tire tracks and how much of a difference they make.
One a separate note does anyone know where a clambunk forwarder is and has anyone ran one before? Stuff out here is changing in a hurry and company work has dried up for now so back to long logs CTL for me.

For us non-loggers, how does CTL differ from normal fall and forward/skid/yard in who wants or will take the trees? Is there a standard CTL length?

For us non-loggers, how does CTL differ from normal fall and forward/skid/yard in who wants or will take the trees? Is there a standard CTL length?

CTL refers most commonly to a harvester of some sort felling and processing trees which are then picked up by a forwarder (on rare occasions a grapple skidder) and transported to the roadside.

There's no standard lengths, but some regions lean towards short wood and some longer. It's the same as any other way, you buck to the specs required. I am a cut to length guy and we do all short stuff. Longest being 16'6" and most is 8'8". On the west side it seems everything is longer lengths 20+ ft. Scandinavians also cut longer lengths.

One of the used dealers here had a clambunk for sale a while back. You ought to be able to put it on your 1210 without much trouble.

One of the used dealers here had a clambunk for sale a while back. You ought to be able to put it on your 1210 without much trouble.
That 1210 honestly is about on its last legs the ground we were on was so broke up it's not even funny plus the squirt isn't going to like the bigger wood.

Most cut to length refers to cut process leaving all trash in the trails to run over. There's two types of it over here short wood done with a double bunk forwarder lengths from 17 feet to 26 feet, then long wood with a cat, skidder, or clambunk forwarder yarding your length from 41 feet down to pulp.

The timberpro forwarder s would be nice for your wood it seems like. Can get a clam bunk for them too.
Yeah it would plus they can unload trailers too with the buncher style booms. If we do one it'll be used for now we may just load 32's and 36's on our till we bust the back end and bogie drives up.

Yeah it would plus they can unload trailers too with the buncher style booms. If we do one it'll be used for now we may just load 32's and 36's on our till we bust the back end and bogie drives up.

If your wood has to be carried out, tpro makes a forwarder trailer for long logs. I'm sure you could find it with a search. They use it east of here to forward tree length stuff.

If your wood has to be carried out, tpro makes a forwarder trailer for long logs. I'm sure you could find it with a search. They use it east of here to forward tree length stuff.
Yeah I've seen the pictures of them and can tell you it wouldn't work in the thinning unless everything is perfectly straight. We'll figure it out the one operator that doing them right now on the forwarder have a bolt on extension on their ponsse we'll see how long to they bust this one up they normally get 10k out of bogies if they're lucky with normal short wood.

Back