The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn decks are getting too big for processing
4046935c7d22e6e743a82161313a5171.jpg
d9a5f0a53d3f3eff693e62057f9c2ada.jpg
ad1a16f3eb2c19cb03bdc0aae2c13388.jpg
5c56c776e5873a8aadfd0ec84b3d043c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Owner of a logging company just left here ,his last job was in Hillsboro this time ,he said he got to one point had about 150 loads decked up ,could not get enough trucks fast enough to haul them down there .

Owner of a logging company just left here ,his last job was in Hillsboro this time ,he said he got to one point had about 150 loads decked up ,could not get enough trucks fast enough to haul them down there .
It's tough with all the cutting Weyerhauser is doing and the guys pushing the volume they are a day. Myself I don't see how you survive without at least one company truck we have two but only run one.

I'm gonna toss this in here, not worth starting a new thread over.. and **** posting it in the chainsaw side...

Anyhow, how I set my rakers, cause filing is a pain, and slow... and I had this ole grinder kickin around anyway. Yes it could be more accurate, no I don't care, it works, and saves me a good 5-10 minutes per chain. No I don't file or grind the gullets, cause I haven't found it to be all that helpful especially for the time it takes. Yes I need to clean the forge... its a forge, is should be dirty.

I do wanna get a slightly better round grinder and see if I can do the same thing, maybe one with a metal frame, but they wan't a lot of money for them and this works pretty alright for what it is.

I do apologize for the rambling, I was a pretty tired, and a bit drunk, been a long week... Hel month... and its only getting busier.

I'm gonna toss this in here, not worth starting a new thread over.. and **** posting it in the chainsaw side...

Anyhow, how I set my rakers, cause filing is a pain, and slow... and I had this ole grinder kickin around anyway. Yes it could be more accurate, no I don't care, it works, and saves me a good 5-10 minutes per chain. No I don't file or grind the gullets, cause I haven't found it to be all that helpful especially for the time it takes. Yes I need to clean the forge... its a forge, is should be dirty.

I do wanna get a slightly better round grinder and see if I can do the same thing, maybe one with a metal frame, but they wan't a lot of money for them and this works pretty alright for what it is.

I do apologize for the rambling, I was a pretty tired, and a bit drunk, been a long week... Hel month... and its only getting busier.

I use an Oregon 510 for all our rakers it works great plus I they make different vises for different chains. On the pro sharp I enlarge the wheel about half way through the tooth to get most or all of the gullet well sharping not sure if this would work for you or not.

I use an Oregon 510 for all our rakers it works great plus I they make different vises for different chains. On the pro sharp I enlarge the wheel about half way through the tooth to get most or all of the gullet well sharping not sure if this would work for you or not.

ah maybe, the old simingtons aren't as forgiving as the new ones, I make the flat bit as wide as possible, to at least get off of the outside cutting edge, but to much and you cut a bunch of the side plate off the chain, I'm scary close to the rivets as it is. Like I said though, I've tried it both ways, didn't notice enough difference to bother with actually cleaning out the gullet, unless the side cut isn't cleaning up, then yeah you have to clear the gullet.

ah maybe, the old simingtons aren't as forgiving as the new ones, I make the flat bit as wide as possible, to at least get off of the outside cutting edge, but to much and you cut a bunch of the side plate off the chain, I'm scary close to the rivets as it is. Like I said though, I've tried it both ways, didn't notice enough difference to bother with actually cleaning out the gullet, unless the side cut isn't cleaning up, then yeah you have to clear the gullet.
The swing arm style grinders I don't see it working they don't have the angle of the carriage into the wheel or the adjustments from memory, but on a good note Woods is stocking them now.
If you decide to get a different grinder for rakers and decide on an Oregon or that style I can get some pictures of the setting mine is at if that helps.

It's simply a matter of convincing myself that a newer better one is worth the couple hundred. (and yes we've been down this road before...)

The horrible fright version is working, its noisy, cheap, ugly, and not exactly accurate, but it is working so therefore inside my thick skull its not broke and therefore doesn't need to be replaced.

Same goes with the Simington, its old, and not as adjustable as the new ones, or does it have the power to chooch through a nasty rocked or nailed chain, but it does work... and I have a spare motor for it... so chances are I'm stuck with it for life.

And lets be honest here, I would likely try and fix the stupid things before purchasing new. Probably with tin foil and duct tape. (or JB weld, and some homemade brushes).

I mean, i just welded a hydraulic cylinder, because I'm too cheap to buy a new one that likely won't have the same problem. (skidder blade, 2nd one in 2 years)

Latest posts

Back