The Official "Buckin'" Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I returned and got the dreaded hemlock to separate. I had to cut think little wedge shaped chunks out of it to get it to do so. Then Barbie got stuck while shaving a bit off to widen the kerf. A few hits on the pink wedge got her right out.
attachment.php

I planned the slant cuts to compensate for the slope of the ground while splitting. :monkey:
attachment.php

I came up with a new system. I had an ice super caffeinated mocha, and decided when the mocha was gone, I would split no more. It worked. My back was done for at this point.
attachment.php

:clap::clap:

Girly Bucking.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2zZfya9eabQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2zZfya9eabQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I will post stills of the more interesting parts.
So when do you use that cut? Compression on top and tension on the bottom? I saw a pro do something similar during a horse logging demo, and I'm pretty sure it was a compression on top cut, but it was years ago.:dizzy:

So when do you use that cut? Compression on top and tension on the bottom? I saw a pro do something similar during a horse logging demo, and I'm pretty sure it was a compression on top cut, but it was years ago.:dizzy:

I just cut it that way because it was bigger than what I usually cut. I could have just whacked it off from the top down. I believe the Barbie Saw would have gotten stuck if I went from the bottom up. Is that what you wanted to know?

I just cut it that way because it was bigger than what I usually cut. I could have just whacked it off from the top down. I believe the Barbie Saw would have gotten stuck if I went from the bottom up. Is that what you wanted to know?
Oh, I thought you were doing all fancy cuts to show what you'd do in the woods to avoid splitting or fiber pull on valuable logs.

For big firewood I just over buck and then cut down if the tension is on top, of course this sometimes splits the bottom off but its fire wood...

I can sympathize with you on your back. Splitting wood puts mine into spasms pretty quick.
Barbie saw sounds like it she has had a little work :clap::clap:
Reaming is backing the bar out of the kerf as it tightens on the chain and then pushing it back into the same kerf to cut it wider.
The kerf will finally close on itself and serve the same purpose as a wedge and you can continue cutting without reaming.
With a sharp chain it is normally much faster and easier than stopping to set a wedge and then recover it. In fact it becomes second nature and I do it without even thinkin about it.

I can sympathize with you on your back. Splitting wood puts mine into spasms pretty quick.
Barbie saw sounds like it she has had a little work :clap::clap:
Reaming is backing the bar out of the kerf as it tightens on the chain and then pushing it back into the same kerf to cut it wider.
The kerf will finally close on itself and serve the same purpose as a wedge and you can continue cutting without reaming.
With a sharp chain it is normally much faster and easier than stopping to set a wedge and then recover it. In fact it becomes second nature and I do it without even thinkin about it.

I did give it a try, and The Barbie got pinched. It took a wedge to get her out. I must not have reamed enough....:confused:

This Morning's Task

I need to keep in practice so the Barbie Saw had to get going.
179785d1302639533-todays-work0001-jpg

179784d1302639494-todays-work0001_1-jpg

This maple was cut down last year and has been sitting in my "backyard". It was hung up quite well and solid in a punky stump and then held in place by a small cedar. I started at the top and worked back until it teeter tottered. Then it was time to lop it off at the fulcrum. I'll post this picture to get a lecture from Burvol on sloppy cutting. Welcome back, by the way!
179788d1302639661-todays-work0001_3-jpg

While I was concentrating on another portion, a round got away and rolled through the neighbor's electric fence. I was busy testing the fence via the blade of grass technique when The Used Dog nonchalantly trotted through the fence, rubbing his back and tail on it. Since he didn't yelp, I could tell it was off, so was able to rescue the chunk. I suspect he has no experience with electric fences and will be due for a shocking experience one of these days. :msp_sad:
View attachment 179784View attachment 179785View attachment 179786View attachment 179787View attachment 179788

Last edited:
i like watching this vid, some nice wood thats for sure, not mine think its a member on here [video=youtube;8vpiMDLgnrA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vpiMDLgnrA[/video]

Latest posts

Back