The official CT Autumn GTG (07 November 2015)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2b6d91aaf50048603e9221feda1e81ec.jpg

Having a thumb welded on my mini ex, so I can move my logs around easier and get organized!

I've been thinking it would be nice to have some how to's for some things we read about but never get to see in person.
@MustangMike offered to demonstrate square filing.
@Mattyo offered to demonstrate how to set up a degree wheel, test and set squish, and a little grinding (porting) on a cylinder.
Does anyone have anything else to offer or any requests?

If someone wanted to demonstrate climbing or felling with different cuts, that would be pretty cool, I've got plenty of trees.

I'd love if anyone has a harness to demonstrate climbing. Or even if they have some climbing gear to point out what is good quality and works and what is cheap and should be avoided.

Also, I'd like some tips on felling with boring cuts.

love my Fiskars X27, but would like to see/test any splitting mauls or axes people love. We could contact SVK to send over the lever axe to try out if people are interested.

Wow! Pretty cool. Sure needs some loving attention. Looks like it will need to be trailered...

I don't always look through the Bailey's catalog, but when I do there sure is some neat stuff in there that I wish I could try.

If anyone has some good / useful gadgets or other tools, please bring them. Nothing like seeing someone else making a difficult job easier with some tool to turn the lightbulb on in my own head and get me to want one myself.

Definitely with you on that, 'Derf. Even funky old stuff that folks just don't use anymore because the newer stuff works "better". I really dig the old technology. Things move so fast today, I think in large part while those "gadgets" were designed as labor savers back in the day, they still force us to slow down and take out time with things.

My opinion only, but dammit that's something that society just doesn't do enough of anymore. I know for sure I don't. Just got Home from Surgery and I'm already freaking out about all the work I have to get done, rush rush rush...

That's an interesting gadget. Mixed reviews, 2lbs 7oz isn't terribly heavy either.
Never woulda thought of using something like that, definitely one of those things you'd like to try before ya buy.

Hey, I could bring my "Beam Machine"! You would need a log set up with a 2X4 screwed to it, completely straight & level, and we could make post & beams out of the logs! Or we could make a cant for cutting!

If someone wants to test their saw & chain, it will give it a good workout!

My new hunting cabin is Post & Beam from the Ash logs that blew down.

Attachments

• Logging120617-2.JPG
    Logging120617-2.JPG
    745.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Logging120617-8.JPG
    Logging120617-8.JPG
    827.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Logging120617-9.JPG
    Logging120617-9.JPG
    762.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Logging120617-14.JPG
    Logging120617-14.JPG