the stihl 038 magnum thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just signed up cuz I was reading about the 038 Magnum, and stumbled onto this thread.

In 1990, I went to Reddi-cross Fixit, in Fort Assiniboine, because they had an ad for a Stihl promo sale.

I got to looking at all the new saws they had on sale (which I have no memory of what those were), and then over on a side shelf, I spied a saw with a 'Discontinued' tag on it.

It was a '038 Magnum'.

I didn't know anything about it other than it was referred to as a 'professional model', and I knew it was a big displacement saw at 72cc, and I liked the name 'Magnum'. Hahaha!

It was also cheaper than the so-called sale models, because it was deemed to be discontinued. It only took me a moment to decide it was the saw to buy.

I've probably cut about a cord a year with the saw, ever since. Pine/spruce and birch. Plus it goes with me on hunting and ATV rides. I don't leave home without it.

I love the power it has, and it still runs as dependably as the day I bought it.

Since I don't use it except for firewood for the house, it will sit sometimes for six months before I run it.
It can be a beast to start if it has sat for 6 months or so. But once it fires, it just purrs.

About the only thing I've had to do was replace the rubber motor mount grommets. That and clean the air filter. Replaced a few chains that wore out.

I've never changed the gas filter, which I've read you are supposed to have to do.

It still has the original 20" bar. Never modded anything on it. Why would I?

There's a pic of it! Hahaha!

Nice saw dude!
That saw is a well known saw to this site. I think about all the stihl enthuses
here have had that saw. I've rebuilt two of them and ran them with high regards. I'll see if I can dig up some old pics. They may still be here on this site lol
Welcome aboard
Ull learn a lot from a lot people.
I know I did. This site is full of great info and great people willing to share it.
Have fun

Has anyone noticed the Stihls start in less than three or four pull starts from cold, while Huskys take six to eight?
Not bashing Husky, but wondering why that is. I use mostly Husky.
And yes, the 038 is a rock solid saw, just ask @westcoaster90 . A died in the wool firewood saw for sure and virtualy indestructable. Not a high rever, but keeps good rpm in the wood. A bit on the heavy side, but will pay for itself over and over again. The only drawback is that it looks like it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

Has anyone noticed the Stihls start in less than three or four pull starts from cold, while Huskys take six to eight?
And yes, the 038 is a rock solid saw, just ask @westcoaster90 . A died in the wool firewood saw for sure and virtualy indestructable. Not a high rever, but keeps good rpm in the wood. A bit on the heavy side, but will pay for itself over and over again. The only drawback is that it looks like it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

do your huskies really take 6-8 pulls? mine all take at least 15 if they start at all :D my 038 always starts. they gotta be a magnum though. i think the av and super are the heaviest 60cc class saws i know of. :givebeer:

Ya, I kind of egzadurated, my Huskies start in 10 to fifteen pulls, but have had stihls that start in 2 pulls and sometimes one from a cold start.

After looking through the threads on this site, and watching a few vids on Youtube, I gotta do a little maintenance on the old 038.

Everything on my saw is still original, except for the chain.

Need to check out my drive sprocket, bar, and I know I need to tweak the idle.

Oh yeah, and my chain tension is clearly needing adjustment, from those pics.

I bort my 038 magnum new i used it every winter till this day never had a problem with it and not long ago had its first service.The only other saw that i used that was some what close in performance was a hushy 365 nice wood saw that belonged to my brother in law.

How do you start a Husky, pull it`s tail??

My 038 magnum was missing the recoil starter and was sold for scrap because of a bad recoil starter. I installed a used recoil starter and cleaned the carburetor and now it runs great. It is an excellent saw. Would a 32" bar be too much for my saw?

My 038 magnum was missing the recoil starter and was sold for scrap because of a bad recoil starter. I installed a used recoil starter and cleaned the carburetor and now it runs great. It is an excellent saw. Would a 32" bar be too much for my saw?
I would say a unported 038 max bar would be the 25"

do your huskies really take 6-8 pulls? mine all take at least 15 if they start at all :D my 038 always starts. they gotta be a magnum though. i think the av and super are the heaviest 60cc class saws i know of. :givebeer:
Yup. 038 gots to be a magnum
I think the 038 AV was low 60's and the
super was some were in the 67's and the
Magnum was 72 cc's. All the same weight. It's heavier than the 044 mag but built like a germin tank lol
I think there's even big bore kits for it.

I see its been some years since this thread used.

I am wondering if anyone knows what the differences are between the red master control lever and the black master control lever saws?I'v noticed the 038s iv seen with white decal saying 038 magnum have had the black lever and the aluminum plate decal with two pop rivets have the red lever.
What other differences are there?external internal?does anybody know the years each where made?
Id really like a detailed history of the magnums.
Cheers.

Lots of info can be found here: http://wiki.motorsaegen-portal.de/wiki/Technische_Daten_Stihl_Motorsägen. Search related sites and you will find colorcodes, history of the, used abbreviations etc.
The catch is that it is a German site.
My 038 farm boss (an avs saw) has a alu decal riveted on top. Saying 038 avs electronic quickstop farm boss. Black master control switch. Compared to the pics above, the muffler of the S is missing the holes a the front side.

^^^^
I see its been some years since this thread used.

I am wondering if anyone knows what the differences are between the red master control lever and the black master control lever saws?I'v noticed the 038s iv seen with white decal saying 038 magnum have had the black lever and the aluminum plate decal with two pop rivets have the red lever.
What other differences are there?external internal?does anybody know the years each where made?
Id really like a detailed history of the magnums.
Cheers.

Back