The Traveling Leveraxe/Leveraxe 2 Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark,

Great job on the review. Also love the updated look with the flannel shirt and North Stars hat. ;)

I'm glad to see you had good luck with various hardwood species. With that I can see why you prefer it over the LA2. Looking forward to your next review.
Thanks, I've been a long time fan of Minnesota teams due to the influence from my North Dakota family members.

I have some elm that I'll be dropping this week. I plan on trying the Leveraxe out on that and whatever else I can find.

Is that why the head is stainless steel - because it needs to be soaked every week?

Seriously, svk, let the handle dry out thoroughly, and do something more permanent: wedge it; or wrap the outside of the handle with tape under the handle; or swell it with something that expands the fibers permanently, etc.

Philbert
My thought would be to remove the head, then using a thin bladed saw like a band saw, make a cut to put a wedge in. Any other ideas?

The end of the LA2 head is a single piece of stainless maybe 3/16 thick. Epoxy would have nothing to hold on to.

Drill it and pin it then. Don't know besides that. How do normal fiberglass handles stay in? I've never broken one to replace it, looks like some sort of epoxy gunk in the end though.

Does it slide on from the bottom, like a pick-axe, or is it wedged from the top, like an axe?

For the first, you can slide the head off, wrap the top of the head with hockey tape, or aluminum duct tape, in a tapered spiral, and slide the head back into place. I have heard of products that permanently expand wood - like to repair loose furniture rungs. I don't know if there is something like that to swell this handle (I thought some might be epoxy based).

Philbert

Does it slide on from the bottom, like a pick-axe, or is it wedged from the top, like an axe?

For the first, you can slide the head off, wrap the top of the head with hockey tape, or aluminum duct tape, in a tapered spiral, and slide the head back into place. I have heard of products that permanently expand wood - like to repair loose furniture rungs. I don't know if there is something like that to swell this handle (I thought some might be epoxy based).

Philbert
Appears that the nylon collar holds it in place from moving both up and down. If we wedge it we would just secure as normal first with the collar then put a modest wedge.

Dropped the LA2 off at @andydodgegeek and @sarahdodgegeek 's place tonight (great people BTW). Andy is going to add a wedge to solve the chronic problems we've had with the head becoming loose. The LA1 will be arriving later next week and both will travel the Midwest circuit with them for the next several weeks.

For those who have a chance to use either axe please post your thoughts to this thread.

Dropped the LA2 off at @andydodgegeek and @sarahdodgegeek 's place tonight (great people BTW). Andy is going to add a wedge to solve the chronic problems we've had with the head becoming loose. The LA1 will be arriving later next week and both will travel the Midwest circuit with them for the next several weeks.

For those who have a chance to use either axe please post your thoughts to this thread.
My thought would be to remove the head, then using a thin bladed saw like a band saw, make a cut to put a wedge in. Any other ideas?

Please. DO NOT make any changes to the structure of the Leveraxe 2. The blade may be wobbly, but it will stick together with the handle.
Look at the structure, the eye is conical and the handle is wedge. It is practically impossible to loose from the handle. On the other hand it operates even better when it's loose, because this way you cannot resist the rotation so much by squeezing the handle.
Strike and loosen, think differently.
Best regards
Heikki, the inventor.

PS. This was an advice, non an adverticement

Please. DO NOT make any changes to the structure of the Leveraxe 2. The blade may be wobbly, but it will stick together with the handle.
Look at the structure, the eye is conical and the handle is wedge. It is practically impossible to loose from the handle. On the other hand it operates even better when it's loose, because this way you cannot resist the rotation so much by squeezing the handle.
Best regards
Heikki, the inventor.

Good to hear from you Heikki. I had sent an email regarding this and posted here a couple times but hadn't heard back.

Best regards
Heikki, the inventor.

well shoot, I'm gonna loosen all the handles on my mauls and splitters to make them work better.:dizzy:

Leveraxe is being dropped at FedEx tonight. Will go out tomorrow.

If anyone is interested, the Leveraxe 1 and 2 are wrapping up the spring GTG circuit shortly and are available for member use.

For those newer to the forum, the Leveraxe splitting tools are being passed around for member use and critique. Please post up if you are interested in trying them out.

Back