The Traveling Leveraxe/Leveraxe 2 Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We split almost 3/4 cord with the two leveraxes today. Both my buddy and I prefer swinging the LA2 but the original will crack tougher wood due to increased mass.

image.jpg

Don't worry he was barefooted but under very close supervision for stance.
image.jpg

I was noodling and splitting hence the hard hat.
image.jpg image.jpg

The Leveraxes are enroute to Greenthorn as of today so he can bring them to the WKY GTG on 9/19. Only $18 with insurance to ship from MN to IN.

If anyone wants to try them out after the 19th please post up or send me a PM

Their Kickstarter raised $222,229 and sold about 1900 Leveraxes at a price point of $99-119.
Dang! I should kickstart some off-center, basic tools!

Cannonadale bicycles bravely marketed a one-sided mountain bike fork for several years, claiming all sorts of advantages, but you don't see a lot of folks rushing to copy that.

Cannodale Fork.jpg

Philbert

First impression, definitely "outside the box thinking."
Everybody here said whtnthehell are those?
I am amazed at how light they are, and that is probably their biggest short coming.
I like the handles, they are plenty long enough, and feel very comfortable.
Now, I only had one species of wood in front of us today. PIN OAK!
Leverax 1 and 2 = o against pin oak.... a big zero. My truper splitting maul breaks right thru the oak.
We tried 8inch limbs and 23inch rounds, 16inch lengths.
Pin oak was cut Friday, so it was nice n green.
I know pin oak isn't a fair assessment, it's some tough stuff to bust.
Hopefully the leverax will perform better tomorrow, will be splitting seasoned ash and black cherry tomorrow.
There was three of us using them, took anywhere from 6 - 10 hits to split the pieces....I donno maybe we just sissies.
It is comfortable to use, it just did not do it's job, and there is a learning curve for them, that I'm not use to yet.
More to be revealed.......

A couple inferences:

1) You have to make sure that you don't have a tight grip on the handle upon impact. I had best luck with yellow cotton gloves until I got used to it. This will make a big difference in performance if you are giving it a death grip upon impact.

2) This tool definitely isn't the fullback/heavy hitter in a splitting arsenal. It excels in making lots of smaller splits in a a fast time period. If you are trying to halve a tough species fugedaboutit.

It should do well in the ash and cherry is a crap shoot imo. Some cherry splits like birch and others like elm.

Anybody want to give these a spin?
They need to be OK'd by SVK on who to send to.
I left them out at wiggs barn, on Saturday and they weren't even picked up, it is my fault, they didn't get used and I feel bad about it. I just forgot to tell people about them Saturday morning. They were passed around Friday night and a couple responses was "no thanx."
I then laid them against his barn, and I forgot about them, it is my fault and I apologize Steve.
I should also apologize to Jeremy for him taking the time to have some wood available, and I didn't advertise or try to get people to use them, sorry.
I just honestly forgot about them Saturday once the saws started up.:dumb:

I may start a Kickstarter campaign to try the Leveraxe. Not just to pay the shipping charges, but maybe to also buy 20 acres of wooded land, and a Kubota, so that I have something reliable to try it on.

Anybody 'in'?

Philbert

Uhhmm. just pm your addy, will send tomorrow, I'll pay fer shipping both ways........
I'd rather someone who could give an honest review... I think you'd fill the bill.

Latest posts

Back