Think they gave me the wrong part

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlesv842

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I ordered a new ring for this stupid Echo. I put it on the piston and it doesn't fit in the groove. I take it off and see that it's too big around as well compared to the original. It won't fit into the cylinder by itself either. I took it back to the dealer and they didn't seem to know anything, just gave me a refund. Not even gonna try with those fools. I'm guessing the guy at the factory grabbed a different ring and put it in the bag. The part number on the label is correct. Would you guys guess that is what happened? I already ordered another one online.

You need to actually take your piston in with you when you order rings to confirm the proper diameter. If the dealer doesn't repeat the correct mm size then you're likely getting the wrong one.

Yeah, I actually did bring in all the stuff with me. The dude took it in the back a couple times to do god knows what. So I gave up with them. I'll get my new parts in the mail and figure it out. You want something done right, DIY.

When I bought my new Stihl SH 86 C-E, I wanted to have an extra air filter on hand, like all the rest of my OPE. Mind you, it's this years model.

I went in with the part number right off the actual filter. Stihl supposedly replaced that part # with another. Parts guy couldn't find the correct part number for the filter.

I finally had to leave and say that I would return back in a few days with the filter, so the parts guy could take a look at it, and try to match it up with pictures of other blower / vacuum filters.

Stihl makes a lot of good stuff, but there are times when they clearly have their head stuck firmly up their butt. :mad:

sh86ce.png

Yes, it is a well known fact here. Anyone that works at a saw or small engine shop, is clearly an idiot, and should be shot,
and talked badly about on the internet.
The customers however, are always correct, and provide all of the needed info to order the correct part numbers, even will find those numbers on the part itself, or rely on the internet forums for the correct info.

First time I ever tried to install rings in a 2-stroke engine was on an 026 Stihl. The rings would not fit. After some careful inspection I discovered the indexing tabs in the ring grooves of the piston. Tried again with the ring ends set on the tabs...still wouldn't fit. Then, after looking at the new rings with a magnifying glass, I realized the ring ends had bevels on them to fit up to the indexing tabs....which meant that I had also installed the rings upside down. Flipped them over and indexed the ends to the tabs....bingo, perfect fit!

So I ordered yet another ring from partstree.com. Lo and behold, it still doesn't fit! It's the exact same thing. Too big around, and doesn't fit inside the groove. I verified the model number and part number. What the hell is happening?? I know the engine didn't shrink.

So I ordered yet another ring from partstree.com. Lo and behold, it still doesn't fit! It's the exact same thing. Too big around, and doesn't fit inside the groove. I verified the model number and part number. What the hell is happening?? I know the engine didn't shrink.
Show us some pictures of what's going on. What model saw?

does it fit in the cylinder with out the piston?

Back