Think you've rigged big wood? Try this on for size......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbtree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Be sure to read the description, and look closely for the dicey parts, which actually were near disasters.

Comments, ideas, questions are welcome.... But may I suggest that any cracks or unfounded criticism will not be ....in part because I doubt if anyone here has been working aloft for 41 years, or has tried anything this ballsy.

Watch in HD, on youtube for best viewing.

Curious whether there was much / any significant damage to the spar tree either from the lanyard securing the lowering block, or the GRCS strap? I couldn't tell from watching the video (on an iPad) if you had the GRCS strapped directly to the spar, or some padding underneath it? I know my Hobbs digs in pretty good when cinched really tight.

Need to fine tune your rigging and operators. Everyone was in danger at least once. Thank God the angels were with you that day. Nice job getting them ready for the mill.

That log rolling down the hill at the end was intense. I have never seen a log roll like that. It would be deadly with the speed it had if someone would have been in the way.

Curious whether there was much / any significant damage to the spar tree either from the lanyard securing the lowering block, or the GRCS strap? I couldn't tell from watching the video (on an iPad) if you had the GRCS strapped directly to the spar, or some padding underneath it? I know my Hobbs digs in pretty good when cinched really tight.

I had the GRCS cut in, but it wouldn't stay tucked in under the shelf. Was really worried about it, but didn't think to tie the top of it off with the static line's end until it had been jerked up on the first pick. And, with it cut in, but not holding in, it was now on a smooth surface, which made it easier for it to slide up.

Big bits and ballsy, well done. but was it worth the risk?

you got guys on site without helmets, others walking dogs with cranes and felling happening, and things going wrong, seems alot of risk for someone with so many big jobs under his belt and nothing to prove.

How does that rope handle?

RB bet your glad that day is over. I'm right behind you 36 years aloft but my balsy stuff I did years ago big pick wise anyway. I had a time i kept getting bigger and bigger in the early 90s and finally snapped a rope and a 25 foot log fell landing perfectly beside the bucket truck just as my general forman pulled up. He got out and asked what was that lol. I grinned and said I told you I need bigger rope but I knew I was lucky, it could of just as easily laid across the bed of the bucket! I miss my old grapple for the last cut, I would swing mine until it grabbed the log and lay it down with it many times.

I was entertained. Good to see someone else making big picks off a spar tree to save out some logs.

Worst I ever did was use a leaning poplar to get some big logs out of a white oak. There were so many lines on that poplar it looked like a tailhold for a yarder. We saved the poplar, got the logs down into a tight area safely and made more money on the logs than we did on the job. In fact the logs gave me $3,000 in profit on a job I bid at $2,700. Other bids the owner got ranged up to $6,000 to bring in a large crane, the tree was 100' from the road and putting a crane in there would have shut down the street.

After the first heavy shot I was reminded why I rarely leave the house anymore but it was this phrase that makes me really mad: " I underbid the job... and now am adding more risk to the guy I am paying 15 bucks an hour in hopes of recouping my losses."

But I digest.
I do have just one itty bitty teensy weensy question though: IS IT ME?

Proteus, You are one good reason why I don't bother with this site much anymore. There is little doubt that I was pulling off rad schite while you were still in diapers..or hell, conceived, for all I know or care.

Big bits and ballsy, well done. but was it worth the risk?

you got guys on site without helmets, others walking dogs with cranes and felling happening, and things going wrong, seems alot of risk for someone with so many big jobs under his belt and nothing to prove.

How does that rope handle?

Probably not worth it. I think I explained most of the problems. As well, I am quite sure the high modulus static line experienced way more shock loading than it should have, or than I expect it to. I full well know that it is not to be shock loaded much if at all, and it was. That, and it being smooth, stiff, small diameter and slippery meant that it was extremely difficult to hold on the old, worn capstan..... which also is not capable of heavy lifts with 5/8th line, let alone larger. That is why, since we needed to pretension the line to get the pieces moving and closer to the rigging point before they tipped into it, that Reg's Stein RC-3001, with its large bollard, and tensioning lever, would have been better suited for the task. Then, we could have used a 7/8th semi static normal poly double braid line

True, but one was the customer, others were an arb bud and his worker who came to watch for a few minutes..no one was ever anywhere close to the work area at a critical time.

After the first heavy shot I was reminded why I rarely leave the house anymore but it was this phrase that makes me really mad: " I underbid the job... and now am adding more risk to the guy I am paying 15 bucks an hour in hopes of recouping my losses."

But I digest.
I do have just one itty bitty teensy weensy question though: IS IT ME?

Yawn..... You have no idea what I pay Robert.... and Pat has his own co, so he gets plenty. plus, we'll end up at somewhere close to $85/manhr....acceptable.

I think you might think about locking yourself in.......

RB bet your glad that day is over. I'm right behind you 36 years aloft but my balsy stuff I did years ago big pick wise anyway. I had a time i kept getting bigger and bigger in the early 90s and finally snapped a rope and a 25 foot log fell landing perfectly beside the bucket truck just as my general forman pulled up. He got out and asked what was that lol. I grinned and said I told you I need bigger rope but I knew I was lucky, it could of just as easily laid across the bed of the bucket! I miss my old grapple for the last cut, I would swing mine until it grabbed the log and lay it down with it many times.

Days, rope... four different ones... a couple hours for the two alders--- $900)back leaning, dead, but those I slayed, safely. Brushing out the firs took one short day, cut short by wind, and 1.5 hours the rigging day. 40 yards of chips, perhaps. Figure $1800 for that. Rigging-- $800 Dropping sticks and loading logs, cutting up firewood. $800. Not great, but about where it should end up, if we net $800 for the wood. Plus, my stump sub will kick back a couple bills from the $850 I priced the stumps for. That will be nice, as I won't be surprised if we only get $650 for the wood. Still can't complain much about $85 manhr, minus $20 to dump the rakings....and minimal travel time.... 2 miles from the shop.

Latest posts

Back