Thinking about going full time...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CETP

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

Background: I have a business administration degree in marketing. I started our little tree company in 2009 and have done it on the side ever since with 4-11 buddies and family members helping - "on call". We have had some decent years in the past, but this year is shaping up to be either our best or second best year and our largest job has been under $5k. Our best year we had a large removal job that was $55k which took us a little less than a month to complete only working on it after our regular jobs had finished.

This year I got a new partner who is also a real estate agent which offers much more flexibility for time to conduct estimates etc. he also is getting pretty good at climbing. Neither of us are ISA certified, but I have been working with trees (primarily removing) for 15 years as I grew up logging and working in my dad's mill. My wife, who is the majority owner, answers many of the calls and sends thank you notes out to customers as she was recently laid off her government contracting job. My full time job is as a defense contractor at a company that does software and engineering for the AF, and other DOD branches.

Today my boss came to me and asked if I would be willing to take a 30 day sabbatical since there are no Gov contracts coming through due to sequestration etc. Yes, he knows that I do tree work on the side. I love working with trees, climbing, ground work, raking, planting everything about it!~ Also, just launched a new website. Cutting Edge Tree Professionals, LLC | Utah Tree Maintenance | Syracuse Tree Planting | Layton Tree Trimming and Pruning | Layton Tree Removals | Kaysville Stump Removals

Here is what I have for equipment:

1991 Ford F800 with 16ft flatbed dump
2008 Ford F250 superduty longbed
2013 14ft Load Trail 14k lb dump trailer
just purchased 2006 Carlton SP7015trx stump grinder (arrives Monday)
Stihl 660 (28 & 32" bars), 2 x 441, 362, 2 x 201, 2 x 192
2 x little giant ladders
pruning gear (pole saws, hand sheers, etc)
3 rigging lines
2 pull lines
2 climbing lines
1 speed line
blocks, pulleys, port-a-wraps, spider legs etc.
2 sets of climbing gear
generator and work lights (late nights)
oregon chain grinder
other misc. items

Questions: How hard is it to get a full time tree gig going? What are you spending on advertising per month? Is it worth putting all of my energy into this business, or, in your opinion, should I pursue another similar job and keep the tree biz on the side? Do you do your own accounting?

Any other areas you feel I missed that may be important please comment.

Thanks,

Back