Thinking about renting a boom lift to tackle this 50' dead eucalyptus

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree94

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Got this dying eucalyptus tree about 50' to bid on removing .
Tips are too small in diameter and dead to trust my weight on them.
Thinking about renting a boom lift (I don't own one) to just nip it down .
Never done this though so curious on input.
Thanks

Good at climbing and removing , just haven't worked from a lift in the past.

I suck at climbing (no appreciable experience yet), but I rented a boom lift to do a dangerous tree right next to my house and enjoyed the process.

I didn't have a choice on where to park the lift, so I just worked the tree towards the trunk keeping everything small enough to not pose a problem to the lift if it swung, bounced, or rolled. Once it was a clean spar, I chunked it down as if I were climbing it. If I hadn't been using my 2166 the whole time, it would've been fun. Since I was, my arms were tired from holding that thing above and out over the rails of the basket. Still ended up a pleasant experience and I'd do it the same way again (with a lighter saw).

Sure, rent it just make sure they give you fall protection or you obtain it. The limbs can be cut with a handsaw to prevent one handing a top handle. If they can be bombed you can fast cut them or snap cut etc. just be sure they don't hit you or the lift. If larger limbs, rope them out same as climbing but picture where the swing will take the limb and make sure the lift is not in that swing path!

For the past 20 years I've watched the power company clear branches along my 250' driveway about every other year. They of course are using a bucket truck but the idea is the same. I don't think I've ever seen them use a conventional saw. They always use a hydrostatic pole saw. It saves a lot of time since you can make multiple cuts at each bucket position plus you are able to be farther away from the cut and be less likely to get hit by a limb doing something unexpected.

For the past 20 years I've watched the power company clear branches along my 250' driveway about every other year. They of course are using a bucket truck but the idea is the same. I don't think I've ever seen them use a conventional saw. They always use a hydrostatic pole saw. It saves a lot of time since you can make multiple cuts at each bucket position plus you are able to be farther away from the cut and be less likely to get hit by a limb doing something unexpected.
Hydraulic pole saw is insulated to 100kv with less than 5 micro amps leakage. I used them 25 years lol but the insulation is the big deal.

Latest posts

Back