Thinking of ordering a MS261 C-M...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bryan Equipment, the distributor in this area, is all out of the OE MS261s. All you can get now is a MS261C.

I was told by a Stihl rep they should be available next weeks sometime??? I got funny looks by the dealer I kind of work at to when some guy was looking for a new 50cc saw and I told him he would love a 261 C-M.

The boss asked have I seen one, I was like yeah I guarantee they exist lol. After me explaining that I have very good info on here that would not lie about this sort of subject he decided to call the rep for the area and I was right all along. lol

Ok. How much off DSRP can one expect "favors" to translate into?

I recently spoke with a lady who was liquidating her father's stihl dealership. She claimed that saw markup was only 10-15%, and it was hard to stay in business. Any truth to that?

Signed, a broke guy who has bought five new STIHL OPE, and many parts and accessories in the last three years from the same dealer.

That's a good question... I can't seem to pin these guys down around here. There must be a good discount to the larger dealers for buying more than the small guys... I've seen 346's for damn near 600 bucks, when at the same time, a sponsor here was selling em for less than 500..
Farm and home down the road has 550's for 560 bucks!!!
They're all over the place.. Miss marks??? Volume buying???

Looks like i am going to put $150 down and order one tomorrow, should have it in by friday, then all i got to do it pay it off in the next month or so. Gonna get one with an 18" b&c.
trevor

I emailed Sthil recently about the availability of the 261 cm for the northeast market and was told the official release date is fourth quarter and also no "artic " version for the US market.

Been thinking about maybe getting a MS261 and saving $80 over the MS261 CM. What do you guys think? I am just worried about the M-tronic having problems or constantly having to worry about retuning it (is it like the autotune as far as tuning)
Help me
trevor

Been thinking about maybe getting a MS261 and saving $80 over the MS261 CM. What do you guys think? I am just worried about the M-tronic having problems or constantly having to worry about retuning it (is it like the autotune as far as tuning)
Help me
trevor

I have zero experience with the 261cm. I have the regular 261. Anyways check out Randy's (Mastermind's) 261cm thread and I believe that he mentioned that the mtronic is a better system compared to the autotune. I am not trying to put words in his mouth, just saying that a skilled saw builder has stated this.

Regardless, go with your gut feeling. But I would say the 261cm will be built like the rest if stihl's 50cc saws, like a tank.

That's a good question... I can't seem to pin these guys down around here. There must be a good discount to the larger dealers for buying more than the small guys... I've seen 346's for damn near 600 bucks, when at the same time, a sponsor here was selling em for less than 500..
Farm and home down the road has 550's for 560 bucks!!!
They're all over the place.. Miss marks??? Volume buying???

Volume selling. Everybody has a different business model. Stick with what works for ya.

Looks like i am going to put $150 down and order one tomorrow, should have it in by friday, then all i got to do it pay it off in the next month or so. Gonna get one with an 18" b&c.
trevor

Good to hear they are available in NC. I'll be looking to buy either the261C-M or 550xp in about a month, so I'm looking forward to your first impressions.

I have zero experience with the 261cm. I have the regular 261. Anyways check out Randy's (Mastermind's) 261cm thread and I believe that he mentioned that the mtronic is a better system compared to the autotune. I am not trying to put words in his mouth, just saying that a skilled saw builder has stated this.

Regardless, go with your gut feeling. But I would say the 261cm will be built like the rest if stihl's 50cc saws, like a tank.

I think there have been less issues with the Stihl system. They both are fantastic though.

I did get to run the 550 in the "big cant" it clocked about a second less than the 261.....

I have a regular 261 and its a real good saw, more of a all around small saw. I'm just a firewood hack (oak)these days, not a pro. The 550xp is a good one too, but from what I read here is an ultimate limbing machine. Don't have a lot of experience with husky though, but they are damn good. I say jump on a 261c and don't look back if your looking for a more all around small saw, although my regular 261 w/ muff mod isn't going anywhere. Depends what your looking for and yes I'm more into Stihl. My 2 cents.

Help me
trevor

Go for the gusto! mtronic is the shiznit! It adjusts the tune as you cut, and it works!

Gonna try and order it on monday. Told the dealer to keep customers greasy prints off my saw:msp_biggrin:, he just laugh'd. Guess i am going to go with the cm model. Can't wait, it will take me about three weeks to get it paid for. Then i gotta get it broken in for the bow bar and christmas three cuttin.
trevor

Latest posts

Back