Thinking (uh oh) Perfect 2 saw plan for 90%% of commercial/sidework firewood cutting.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 044 in perfect shape, But I have a ms291 muffler mod caps removed and retuned. They are super choked up, ive cut 260 loads of fire wood with it. I can cut a load in 35 min on one tank of gas. The two saws work great, but I hardly ever start my 044.

I am thinking 60cc (my 562xp) 20" always /70cc ported (my cs 2172) 24" most days 28"every now and then.
A 50cc is a luxury its in the van now:) a 60cc is not that heavy plus it cuts way faster. Almost like a laser beam lol!

Opinions:popcorn2:

For the following size classes: 40cc, 50cc, 60cc, 70cc, 80cc, 90cc - any given class doesn't weigh much more than one class below it, but it always will outperform the smaller.

A two saw "plan" that has consecutive classes (i.e. 60cc and 70cc) isn't really a good plan, imo. It is a perfectly acceptable occurence because you are looking to keep a couple saws you like regardless of their sizes.

Also, owning a 3rd saw that you have on site with you is what most people call a 3 saw plan.

For the following size classes: 40cc, 50cc, 60cc, 70cc, 80cc, 90cc - any given class doesn't weigh much more than one class below it, but it always will outperform the smaller.

A two saw "plan" that has consecutive classes (i.e. 60cc and 70cc) isn't really a good plan, imo. It is a perfectly acceptable occurence because you are looking to keep a couple saws you like regardless of their sizes.

Also, owning a 3rd saw that you have on site with you is what most people call a 3 saw plan.

Well actually their are four:lol:
Only one of them were planned. Really good deals on the other three.

If the 60cc saw is the smallest one in your lineup, I'd have a 16" bar on it most of the time to make it lighter and more maneuverable. A 562 is a pretty spendy saw, though. So is your ported 70cc. You could add a lightweight limbing saw like a Dolmar 421, and it would still be a small percentage of your overall saw expenditure. It would keep a lot of hours off the bigger saws, and reduce operator fatigue.

I've got a 60cc and 78cc Stihl and unless they're called for, the 42cc Dolmar is what's in my hand. For limbing, having something lightweight that is honestly laughably easy to start is the cat's meow.

If the 60cc saw is the smallest one in your lineup, I'd have a 16" bar on it most of the time to make it lighter and more maneuverable.

That would give me a sore back and wear me out climbing over bigger logs to cut both sides . Plenty of good enough cheap limbing saws for small branches and tiny trees. Average wood cutting for me is 20 to 25" bar range. Nice to have 3 to 5 saws or more to rotate as best suited for the days job.

For my type of wood a 40 & 60cc saw is a very good and completely sufficient combo.

That's true for me too. My 036 would handle a 20" bar just fine and could cut all of the large stuff I run across. I'd throw a 25" bar with skip chain on there occasionally for really large pieces. I bought my 460 Magnum mostly because I ended up with an 036 and an ms361. I had the opportunity to sell the 361 for more than I paid for it, so I bought a saw that I don't "need". The 036 would handle everything i need to cut, but the 460 is faster and much more fun, so it's worth keeping around.

I am a huge fan of a great 60cc saw.
The two saws I mainly used is my little 30cc 192 (rear handle)
And my 6100
I could see a bit bigger small saw but the 192 is so light and keep a good Sharp chain and it cuts really good.
But I would love to own a few more saws to fill the gaps lol

It also really depends on what all you are cutting and what you like.

But seriously, i think it matters a lot where u are and what you routinely cut. For me, i could surely get by with a two saw plan consisting of a 50cc/70cc combo. I encounter wood big enough to make me want the 70ccs, and 50 is perfect for me to limb with.

I like the 3 saw plan.

When I go to cut wood, I take my MS200T with a 12" bar, Ported & Muffler modded 029 Super with an 18" bar, and a MS460 with a 24" bar.

Im no climber, but the 200T gets used for anything 6" and under. I like it because its so light weight and doesn't fatigue you.

My old 029 super does the majority of the cutting, and the 460 handles the heavy ****.

I have other saws, but I prefer this 3 saw combo for most jobs. With a small bar (<36") my 460 seems to run just as good as my 660.

Back