Thinking (uh oh) Perfect 2 saw plan for 90%% of commercial/sidework firewood cutting.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like my 60 and 80 plan. All I ever use. Like to keep it simple. The 60 has a 16" bar and the 80 has a 24" on it but I also have a 32" for it which I hardly use.

For 30+ years the only saw I had was a Husqvarna 61 and I managed just fine, in the past couple years I bought 3 more saws, last winter I had 2 saws pinched in a tree top and had to go home and get a 3rd saw to get the other two out. I'm amazed I actually got by with only one saw for so long.

Had 3 saws pinched once . Tornado made a mess of a ditch bank. Multiple trees down together with several rootballs connected on some. Extremely difficult to determine pressure points and a mess of lower branches and trunks to crawl through to get to the stumps. Some of the stumps would swing back upright when cut through, risky for man and saw alike. That is when I like using cheaper saws the most. The several hundred dollar saws can sit safe in the truck on those cuts. I'll be doing what I'm able to save my rear if the unexpected happens which it often does.

For 30+ years the only saw I had was a Husqvarna 61 and I managed just fine, in the past couple years I bought 3 more saws, last winter I had 2 saws pinched in a tree top and had to go home and get a 3rd saw to get the other two out. I'm amazed I actually got by with only one saw for so long.
Yep I was fine with a 41 and 65 cc plan with a 34 as a backup till I came on here.

Saws I'd still like to add to the stable but have no real need for:
Early 61
Early 044

I mostly use 036/360s, have 3 of them. Have 2 460s as well. Had a 660 for a while, but I didn't use it much.

I like a good 50 and 70cc saw plan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had 3 saws pinched once . Tornado made a mess of a ditch bank. Multiple trees down together with several rootballs connected on some. Extremely difficult to determine pressure points and a mess of lower branches and trunks to crawl through to get to the stumps. Some of the stumps would swing back upright when cut through, risky for man and saw alike. That is when I like using cheaper saws the most. The several hundred dollar saws can sit safe in the truck on those cuts. I'll be doing what I'm able to save my rear if the unexpected happens which it often does.

Old faithful 026 and an 046 manage to get most anything I care to tangle with handled effectively. But twisted blow downs are a great excuse to add a pole saw to the mix. It's nice to have some reach when unleashing a twisted up unpredictable mess. I will say it's a real b**ch when you get a pole saw pinched. That'll make you think carefully about how you approach a mess.

I personally like having a 60/80 cc split. Now that I have my 2159 ported I will keep a 20" bar on it and I will keep a 24" and a 36" for my 285CD (85cc). I also have my 298 if there's a lot of cutting to be done with the 36".

Well like cycledude said, for years all I had was a ms250 with a 18" bar..... I got it after my old heavy, manual oiler craftsman died....I cut alot of wood that was way to big for the ms250, but she has servered me well to this day!!!!

Since CAD has set in I have a ms180, ms250, ms290, ms362, ms461..... I now like to use the ms180 to limb with, the ms362 for 70% of wood, and the rest gets eatin up with the ms461!!!!

Been using my 350 all morning lol! Nothing was much bigger than 8". A lot of 4" stuff in the pile. Tomorrow's logs are 20"+ 562 will come back out tomorrow.
350 can't be beat for an inexpensive firewood saw, great value, great balance, great performance, cheap and readily available parts, what's not to like! Delete the base gasket, put a metal clamp on the intake boot, muffler mod with a bracket for the muffler, go cut wood!

350 can't be beat for an inexpensive firewood saw, great value, great balance, great performance, cheap and readily available parts, what's not to like! Delete the base gasket, put a metal clamp on the intake boot, muffler mod with a bracket for the muffler, go cut wood!

And $105 346 top ends

Back