This probably is a silly idea

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is picture of the new bar

attachment.php

After a light wipe with thinner.

attachment.php

The red "Logo" paint wiped right off.
The white was not affected so....must be powder coated, or some sort of urethane.
The bar below is the Stihl 18" bar I cleaned up with the scotch brite.

Last edited:
This is a good thread Dapper Dan;
I have a couple of big old McCulloch bars that are called fortified" ,with some sort of additive to the metal composition . May be nickle ,not sure but has kept the 40 odd year bars looking like new, they are the old deep hard nosed style of bar with the McCulloch motto and words fortified stamped into both sides of the bar. I had a bar like Jacob mentioned and after some useage the chrome started peeling along the rails and was a source of a few cuts when hand filing the chain if you pulled the chain ahead or back with bare hands. Never minded the flash from the sunlight as I usually wear safety sun glasses under my helmet face shield. LOL
Pioneerguy600

Hard chrome will give you a matte silver finish. Another cheap option is a finish called Armaloy. They're in Springfield, OH. It's applied using elctrolysis, like chrome. It also looks like a matte nikel finish. It's used a lot in industrial application and actually has lubricative qualities. I had it applied to a couple gun slides. I think it only cost like $40. They do a very nice job. Check them out. Armoloy

49296051_Nok5b-M.jpg

54934957_ndPAc-M.jpg

BTW, this gun started out like this.
54026653_9FFtd-M.jpg

Don't care much for your "plastic" gun but.....You turned that 1911 into a thing of beauty!!!!!!!

A "Snellerized" Colt!

Rep coming!

Edit: Outta bullets

The Oregon Pro bars have a brushed fininsh with more durable red lettering, I'm not certain they come in anything but .063 gauge, though. The reduced weight oregon bars are much the same, but with some not at all durable blue lettering that wears off after a couple of days, but then the bar is two-tone metal finish.

You mean The Oregon bar?
Yes couple months ago from Baileys.
I assume Oregon made it, that what the sleeve said.
Sure is ugly after only one use.
Looks like someone took a rag soaked with lacquer thinner and swiped over it, smearing the red lettering.

+1
That's been my experience with Oregon Power Match bars. The last one I bought had no lettering at all after an 8hr day blocking firewood.
Dok

Latest posts

Back