Thoughts/Input on Harbor Freight 12,000lb Badlands winch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are a fine winch for the money. One word of cation, none of them are made for the kind of pulling that drags a big oak up a grade for 75 feet. I run Ramsey's because the business pays for them and I wouldn't use it that way. Pulling rolling loads short distances or heavy loads short distances but all electric winches will go pop if they get hot. The old warns rock. But I will never give warn another penny of my money. I bought one 8 ish years ago cost around 1400. One pull on the front of my truck about 40 feet worth and no more. Called the company and they advised their product was not designed for that type of "abuse" I put a after market motor on it and continued to put nickel and dime parts on it for another year before taking it off. JUNK in my opinion.

Electric winches are for emergency recovery. PERIOD. If you use one once a week for a few feet they work great. But if you are planning on long hauls for hours you need PTO. Electric get hot and die fast.

My thoughts on Harbor Freight winches?
Well they are from Harbor Freight, so that means they are probably from China.
If we keep buying cheap junk from China, because it's cheap, one day we'll have to go to China to get a job because that's where they'll all be.

My thoughts are still the same. Buy American made when possible, or don't complain about the economy.

Andy

My thoughts on Harbor Freight winches?
Well they are from Harbor Freight, so that means they are probably from China.
If we keep buying cheap junk from China, because it's cheap, one day we'll have to go to China to get a job because that's where they'll all be.

My thoughts are still the same. Buy American made when possible, or don't complain about the economy.

Andy

Just happened to go to the warn dealer today, I needed a set of solenoids for my warn winch. I was surprised to see that they were made in Mexico. Makes ya wonder how much of warn is even made here any more.

Just happened to go to the warn dealer today, I needed a set of solenoids for my warn winch. I was surprised to see that they were made in Mexico. Makes ya wonder how much of warn is even made here any more.

At least it didn't say "Made in China".
It's hard to find much that's made in America anymore, but that's because we have chosen the path of cheap disposable crap.
I believe your Warn was at the very least assembled in America. The first time an American touched the Harbor Freight winch was when they pulled it out of the crate from China.

Andy

At least it didn't say "Made in China".
It's hard to find much that's made in America anymore, but that's because we have chosen the path of cheap disposable crap.
I believe your Warn was at the very least assembled in America. The first time an American touched the Harbor Freight winch was when they pulled it out of the crate from China.

Andy

I don't know which I hate most. Made in China or Being invaded from Mexico.

Electric winches are for emergency recovery. PERIOD. If you use one once a week for a few feet they work great. But if you are planning on long hauls for hours you need PTO. Electric get hot and die fast.

Wish I knew that before. I think I just burned up a 5000 HF winch by pulling a dolly with a couple chunks of firewood up a small hill maybe 15-20 times. I took a break every 3 or 4 pulls because the motor was warm but now all the thing does is click. Won't pull the cable unloaded in or out. Any chance anyone has some troubleshooting tips for this or am I sol.

Where is the clicking? In the box the remote plugs into? If so, take the cover off and see if there is a burnt wire or try jumping the solenoid with a piece of heavy wire or screwdriver. May just be a burnt out solenoid. Looks like a Ford starter solenoid but is actually a continuous duty solenoid.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Where is the clicking? In the box the remote plugs into? If so, take the cover off and see if there is a burnt wire or try jumping the solenoid with a piece of heavy wire or screwdriver. May just be a burnt out solenoid. Looks like a Ford starter solenoid but is actually a continuous duty solenoid.

Not sure I'll have to check it out later today.

The clicking is coming from that box. I don't know how to jump it. I took the box apart but don't see how to pull the solenoid out. I'm on hold with harbor freight. They said they don't seell the solenoid but if I buy the warranty they'll give me a new winch so I may do that.

Got the hook-up from harbor freight. If I buy a 1 year warranty for $20.99 or a 2 year for $49.99 they give me a new winch which now has a warranty.

I had a 2000 lb harbor freight winch on my quad. While trying to pull itself out of a wet spot one day the cable spool snapped in half. Fixed that and a couple months later the controls took a crap. No power coming out of the one side to move the winch in. I'll never buy one again after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A superwinch atv winch can be had for about $80, gonna be alot better than harbor freight.

A superwinch atv winch can be had for about $80, gonna be alot better than harbor freight.

Ehh, i have seen a 2000 lb Super Winch break in half just being used on a snowplow.

I got a 3500 lb on the back of my Polaris and have had it a year, no issues. Had a 2500 lb on the front, got stuck on a sandbar/mud hole, and broke the Badlands in half. May have been a little bit of abuse on my end. So now, the front wears a 3500 lb also.

The relay on the 2500 lb was wireless controlled POS, it basically had a direct short from day one, and toasted my battery, so that was about a $130 sealed battery, $40 ebay relay to fix it.

Latest posts

Back