ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Thoughts on burning sycamore

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by kallaste, Apr 2, 2006.

1. kallaste

kallaste ArboristSite Operative

I have a friend that says that although sycamore is a hardwood that it doesnt put out any heat and is not worth burning. I have cut about a cord and am hopeing i havent wasted my time. What do you think?

2. ray benson

ray benson Tree Freak

3. danrclem

danrclem Addicted to ArboristSite

I have used sycamore before and it's not that bad. I just got quite a bit of it a few weeks ago. When I have it I use it during the day and use my hardwoods at night. The worst thing about it is if you don't have a splitter it is a killer to do by hand. If I had to split it by hand it would be a last resort. I'd rather have oak, hickory or some other hard wood but sometimes you have to take what you can get.

Danny

4. Minn-Pax

Minn-Pax ArboristSite Lurker

I'm a little dubious about that Nebraska chart, at least the splitting part.

I think box elder splits easy- not that I want any of it anyway. It is a weed around here.

Bitternut hickory splits very easily.

Red elm splits medium at best, but it is worth the effort.

5. PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman Addicted to ArboristSite

Sycamore is very heavy when wet and green, but is pretty light when it is seasoned. It burns nicely, and is about a medium BTU producer. Most people that I know don't like it, but I enjoy it-it has a different kind of aroma when freshly split-someone once referred to it as smelling like "wet grass"!

6. nittany_tim

nittany_tim ArboristSite Lurker

Yardley, PA (southeastern PA, outside Philly)
    This winter, I burned about a half cord of sycamore that I had gotten from a neighbor's felled tree and split myself. It had seasoned for about a year and a half. Its performance was so-so.... it burned a little too quickly and didn't burn as hot as other wood I burned with it this winter (maple, black locust, oak, sweet gum). Given the opportunity again to get it for free, I would of course take it, but only in smaller quantities, as I was overall disappointed with it.

I agree with danrclem -- it was a pain to split, with a difficulty on par with splitting black locust and sweet gum.