Throw line questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtc16

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hoping someone can tell me about zing-it throw line. The only throw lines I've used are the Forester slick line. Now after having cut all my lines short at some point because of stuck bags I need new long line. Yale slick line is $11 for 200ft on tree stuff and I assume it is similar to what I have. I'm interested in the zing it because I'm guessing it it isn't as stiff so it doesn't tangle as easy. Haven't found any real info about it though so is the zing it $24 for 180' worth it or just get 2 yale slick lines instead

I bought Target line once. I hate the stuff, it's similar to slick line.

I started out with zing-it and loved the stuff, I wanted to see if the extra $10 actually made a difference and boy does it. The target line gets stuck like crazy and knots very easily. A smaller diameter throw line is the way to go.

I bought Target line once. I hate the stuff, it's similar to slick line.

I started out with zing-it and loved the stuff, I wanted to see if the extra $10 actually made a difference and boy does it. The target line gets stuck like crazy and knots very easily. A smaller diameter throw line is the way to go.

I like it, 10oz, sometimes 12oz, any more than that we use a big shot.
Jeff

I use slick line with a 16oz. Bag for up to 60ft. Tosses. It is almost tangle free. I carry two. I carry one zing it with a 10oz. Bag. It tangles terribly but can be thrown farther. I don't like it.

I bought the zing it. Haven't had a climbing job to use it yet though. Anybody drill a hole through a baseball and use that as a throw weight?

You want to talk about bouncing one of our guys has what resembles some sort long pointy throw bag but it's been dipped in a very dense but bouncy rubber that thing will ricochet like nobodies bizness including right back at your face twice as fast as you u threw it!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

You want to talk about bouncing one of our guys has what resembles some sort long pointy throw bag but it's been dipped in a very dense but bouncy rubber that thing will ricochet like nobodies bizness including right back at your face twice as fast as you u threw it!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Hmm twice as fast must be flubber :p

I have used:
*Zing-it. My go to line.
*TreeStuff's generic zing-it. Works just as well. The only thing I don't like about it was I bought it from their bargain bin and it was random color. I got gray, and that is pretty tough to see in the canopy of a tree 40' up on a cloudy day.
*Dynaglide. I may like this even better. I have kept this one longer so I use it on higher trees. Maybe I should buy another piece to cut for the shorter trees too...That is the main reason I don't use it all the time. It is a bigger diameter, but it is a little softer, bends easier, easier on the hands to pull, still doesn't knot up or tangle excessively.
*Targetline. Too stiff and rough texture. Don't like it. It is not even in the truck. I have used it a few times to pull wire in the house though...
*Classic Slickline. Used it a couple of times. Never again. Worse than Targetline. Doesn't hold knots when I wanted it too. The strands catch on stuff. Doesn't lay flat. Gets tangled.

Edit: I was being really cheap early on and tried masonry line bought from home improvement store. Don't waste your money trying to save a couple of dollars. Way too stretchy!

I always wondered about mason's string...

Zing it here too. I have both 1.7 and 2.2 and I find the bigger stuff doesn't tangle nearly as bad, plus it's alot easier on your hands. I just wish they sold 200' hanks instead of 180. Splices easily too, I use an upholstry needle and some whipping twine for a soft fid, straight bury about 2-3".
12oz on the 2.2, 10oz on the 1.7
Bigshot everything lately. My throwing skills are really starting to suck now but I'm getting deadly with the bigshot.

Latest posts

Back