Tillotson hl carb pop off setting??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeradcarty

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all i was hoping that you guys could help me out. I'm trying to get my old homelite 995g going and i'm having trouble with the tillotson carburetor. Its a HL series HL150A to be exact, and i've rebuilt it and now i can't get my saw to run. I believe its the pop off setting thats throwing me off, the kit i bought came with a couple different springs but none seem to work and all are up around 20+psi before they pop off. Does anyone know the correct setting for this ??? Any help would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks
Jerad

What kit did you buy, never seen a Tillotson kit come with springs.
I always use the old spring since thats what the carb was set with.
But like Jerry stated 10-12 is good but i have had to go a tad lower
on some saws.

Lee

Hello ando thanks for the replies, and the kit was one I got off eBay for a tillotson hl repair kit... and I've got it set at 12psi right now buy it still wants to just start and die, it'll run for a second but seems like its running outta fuel... idk. Would lowering the pop off pressure fix this ya think?? It seems like it's closer but wish I knew what it was originally ... and it took me forever to get it set down to 12 and still seat but I can try to lower it a bit more if that'll help....
thanks

Thanks if I can just get the carb lined out on it. ... it's a beast, couldn't find any 1/2" pitch chain anywhere so I modified it to accept .404 pitch sprocket and a 42" stihl bar... being 112cc it'll eat if you can hang onto it... and has a great sound...20150620_215124.jpg

Yeah I don't doubt it would, if I can get this carb lined out.... its like it'll run on part throttle circuit but won't idle or tach out , idk I've got the pop off setting at 12psi and it seems like its easier to start but still seems like its running outta fuel... would lowering the pop off pressure help this or is it something else?? It ran fine up til about 2 weeks ago when it started this start up and dying b.s. I figured the carb needed gone thru since I hadn't rebuilt it since I got saw running....

A Husky 61 was giving me fits. I tried another carb of a 61 and it would run good. It turned out someone put the wrong spring in it.

I have lowered them down to 9 psi for my Pioneer 600 series saws and it helped with starting them if they had sat for a while, on them there is a long and large pickup line, two filters and a glass fuel bowl to fill before the carb gets fuel from the tank. Sounds like a thinner wire wound spring or removing another coil from the existing coil might help.

What kit did you buy, never seen a Tillotson kit come with springs.
I always use the old spring since thats what the carb was set with.
But like Jerry stated 10-12 is good but i have had to go a tad lower
on some saws.

Lee
Some of the new kits I got from china now have springs in the kit, I just toss them as they look like something from a ball point pen, way too stiff !

well i can try to lower the pop off setting a little more, i tested it last nite and it popped at 10.5 or so psi but it seams to fluctuate some, probably because i've cut coils off spring to lower setting.. It sucks that i've lost the spring that came with it.. (and i don't have any other tilly carbs to rob one from) so does anyone know where to actually buy a spring that'll work in this thing?? I'd greatly appreciate it..
Thanks
Jerad

Ok update, well I've got the pop off setting right around 10.5 psi far as I can tell , it varies just a lil (and seat doesn't seem to seal back everytime?? But it does quit most of time) and saw will fire up alot easier now and stay running longer but still doesn't wanna idle or tach out ?? Still seems like its part throttle that revs it up and if ya can keep it there by feathering throttle it stays running... but what would cause this?? Would pop off setting being off cause this?? If so which way would I go with it?? It used to run like a champ , then it just started this firing up and dying b.s I've rebuilt carb, changed plugs numerous times and double checked points gap, idk I'm needing some help... oh and what mix of oil n gas would you guys suggest??? It says 3/4 pint per gallon!! That's 12oz per gallon!!# I've never heard of such a thing but it says it on cap so?? (I figured oil's changed alot since this thing was built) but just looking for advice from someone who's been there before...
thanks again
Jerad

You can get all the Tilly HL parts from E.C. Carburetors.
Google it, you'll find it. If you can't i have there phone
# somewhere.
You may also have an air leak somewhere. Bad crank seal,
gaskets etc. Or something with the carb isn't right. Hard
to say without having the saw in front of me.

Lee

Well where do ya live? I'll get the saw in front of ya. .. lol. Ok well I'll contact e.c. carburetors and see if they have a spring as far as the air leak goes.. I guess I can do a leak down test on cylinder to make sure that's not an issue but I'm fairly certain it's the carb... but thanks for the info and of ya think of anything else, I'd appreciate it. ...
Thanks
Jerad

Ok well I've got the pop off pressure set at 10 psi and it'll start up alot easier but still doesn't wanna idle or tach out, it revs just on part throttle. .. you can feather it and keep it running now but won't tach out or idle still... does anyone know what would cause this?? Hopefully , I'd greatly appreciate any help....
thanks
Jerad

Latest update, well I ordered a spring and installed it and I'm back up and running again. Still doesn't wanna act quite right far as taching out goes it has a hesitation but will tach out and idle, even tho its idling high and will load up after a minute , its at least running , and starting easy... kicker is when I installed spring I had to see what pop off pressure was just outta curiosity, didn't modify it... and it was around 18psi!! Which I'd quite a bit higher than what I've been told... so what gives?? Is my saw needing higher pop off than others or would lowering mine help out this hesitation or?? Maybe I've been blaming spring for issues and just didn't have it adjusted correctly....any ideas?? Thanks
JERAD

Back