Tillotson hu-22a poulan xx help.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Str8six

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have this tiny little poulan that I would like to make run again. It's a typical "been sitting up with gas left in it" scenario so I started with fuel lines and the carb. The lines were past done so I got them off. Upon taking the fuel line off the carb, the brass barb came with it. It was corroded in two. That's just how my luck seems to be going these days with carbs. My question now is, what other model carbs can I replace this with? I see a lot of hu-23 carbs for sale but I can't find any cross reference on the subject. So what's the word guys, anyone have any inside info or better yet a 22a carb? Thanks!

is the choke internal or a metal flap on top of carb. i have some walbro wa like the poulan micros use in north west alabama

Some of those also had Walbro WA carbs on them, but I don't remember the number off hand.

Before you get too far involved with it, check the oiler impulse line on it. It will be a line behind the point box coming out of the crankcase and runs to the oil tank. If that line is not good, plan on pulling the saw all the way down to fix that.

That oiler line has to be in good shape for it to run right and oil right.

Attachments

• Micro XXV POUI1985_USen_64572_.pdf
    260.2 KB · Views: 2
Randy, you know there is no such thing as a XX Micro! :laugh:

Ok that aside, I just looked into swapping a Micro carb on to a XX saw. Why? because the carb on the XX is a fixed H jet carb while the Micro carb is adjustable.

In the end I didn't bother with it though as the way the carb mounts it would be hard to get to the H screw and not really enough room to cut the case out to get to it.

You would also have to switch out the pump side carb cover to have the correct idle speed screw on it.

Not the best picture, but if you look close you can see the L screw by the starter handle. If you put the fully adjustable carb on, the case would need clearanced towards the starter eyelet and theres really very little room to do that. 100_5033 (Custom).JPG

is it possible to remove a inlet pipe from a junk carburetor or would it be destroyed getting it out

Some of those also had Walbro WA carbs on them, but I don't remember the number off hand.

Before you get too far involved with it, check the oiler impulse line on it. It will be a line behind the point box coming out of the crankcase and runs to the oil tank. If that line is not good, plan on pulling the saw all the way down to fix that.

That oiler line has to be in good shape for it to run right and oil right.

Checking my old Tillotson book and find that the HU-22 was for the Poulan 20 only. The WA-19 is the Walbro number for Poulan. I have a used HU-10A(34034) was for most of the 25 or 250 Poulans. I have used Poulan parts for 25, 25DA and Micro series. Will sell as a lot or parts if you have a part number.
chainsawlady

Randy, you know there is no such thing as a XX Micro! :laugh:

Ok that aside, I just looked into swapping a Micro carb on to a XX saw. Why? because the carb on the XX is a fixed H jet carb while the Micro carb is adjustable.

In the end I didn't bother with it though as the way the carb mounts it would be hard to get to the H screw and not really enough room to cut the case out to get to it.

You would also have to switch out the pump side carb cover to have the correct idle speed screw on it.

Yes I forgot the Roman V for the numeral 25, just like this micro pictured here. I'll edit the V back in...and let you know that I have
never worked on or held an XX or Series 20 saw. Your top shot picture is excellent.

Joyce is right on about the carb parts swaps between the later S25s, but the XX is not the same.
If the OPs inlet elbow corroded off, then it's not even worth a rebuild.

Attachments

• MicroXXV.jpg
    MicroXXV.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 5
Checking my old Tillotson book and find that the HU-22 was for the Poulan 20 only. The WA-19 is the Walbro number for Poulan. I have a used HU-10A(34034) was for most of the 25 or 250 Poulans. I have used Poulan parts for 25, 25DA and Micro series. Will sell as a lot or parts if you have a part number.
chainsawlady

You mean the Poulan 25D, not 250

is it possible to remove a inlet pipe from a junk carburetor or would it be destroyed getting it out

Did you read my post about checking that oiler impulse line out? If your not willing to tear that saw completely down your just pissing in the wind.

If that saw has laid around long enough to corrode the barb on the carb off, I'll guarantee you the impulse line is shot as are the crank seals.

I have done these before and just did one a couple weeks ago so I have it fresh in my mind.

Its just something that has to be done if you ever want it to run right and oil, period.

The good thing is the cost is minimal, and you can get most parts that are needed. It just takes some time to do it. Be very careful removing the flywheel as they will crack at the keyway if manhandled.

In fact I just went out and looked and I do have a HU carb for it to spare that I will send you for it, if your up to the task of doing that saw right.

chainsawlady

Joyce, the WA-19 is for the S25 and Micro saws.

Alright, Mine is a XX.

The air filter cover has only one screw holding it on.

Yes, the oil line was just like the fuel line, I looked at it and it broke. I am going to tear in down and replace as required but if I cant get a carb for it then its not worth doing all of that.

Mine aslo has a manual oiler button on the top handle.

Modifiedmark, lets talk business about that carb!!!!!!

Alright, Mine is a XX.

Yes, the oil line was just like the fuel line, I looked at it and it broke. I am going to tear in down and replace as required but if I cant get a carb for it then its not worth doing all of that.

That's the real deal Poulan XX (20) series you've got there, I've never worked on one.

Hopefully you can get the correct carb for a Jackson note...like the little XXX brown eyed gal said, for only $20 dolla' me love you long time!

Alright, Mine is a XX.

When you tear that down you will need a case gasket for it to put it back together. Making the case gasket is a major PITA and took me longer to make then what it did to put the saw back together.

The gasket is NLA but there is a seller on ebay selling them, it will cost you $10 to get that gasket and believe me its worth every penny so you don't have to make that gasket.

So here is the deal, you buy that gasket but before you use it I want you to put it on a scanner and scan it at 100% into a PDF file. I will then send you the carb on my dime.

Fair enough? By scanning it before you use it, it can then be printed out and used for a pattern for making a new gasket and it can be shared between members here.

I also have the IPL and service manual that I can send you as well as the generic seal numbers for the crank seals.

Latest posts

Back