Timber Theft?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I once supposedly stole a tree and the owner went to the cops about his 20'000$ loss. The cop arrived, looked at me, looked at the stump and said,"how does somebody know a tree is worth 20G's when it's not there?"
He's right. It's much like "someone" scrutinising my work after the trees down from where the sawdust lays &/or foot prints in the snow. Pointing out I'm falling from the low side or something. I always say.."You can't physically stand that tree back up and know what I was up against. High side is not always the safe side.

So how much was it actually worth in the end?...lol

The story kinda preceded itsself, adjacent woodlot dude had some 5' redoak I wanted, which prompted his timber trespass aqusation gig.
You can spot a mile away those that have no business in the bush, but they are so obvious there is no need to rat them out.

Interesting thread. Seen similar family squabbles over different things. I cant say for all states, but just because a tree is no longer standing, or even laying on the ground, it does still have assigned value. In NC, I believe that value is still around $600 per tree. Size doesnt matter, if you can show a stump, (2inches or 10ft dia, doesnt matter), you can prove a tree once stood there. If you can prove the tree stood there, then it has a minimum value , (the $600 number). If you can prove the tree was worth more, you can collect more. It is up to the offender to prove the tree was worth less. Bama might be different, but If you do a stump count and take them to court, I am pretty sure you can find out exactly what the timber sold for simply because your Uncle and the timber harvester most likely didnt make The $600 per tree that could be the amount the court could award.

As for land held in common, not unusual for land handed down from deceased family. Each surviving heir is entitled to their part and dont necessarly have to have the names changed on the deeds either. Unless their is a Will that gives one heir or other person, preferences as to how possessions will be divided, then each heir will have equal ownership. I can only suspect that the land was held jointly by two brothers and at the time of the death of one brother, the surviving brother still retained his ownership of his half the property and the surviving family members inherited the deceased brothers part ownership, resulting in a 50/50 ownership of the property. And things can get very interesting form that point on as there is still a matter of maintaining the property. If the one that inherited the property didnt maintain their interest in the property, a simple matter of keeping their half of the property taxes paid, and left the surviveing brother to pay all the taxes, then the one paying all the taxes could file a quit claim deed to all of the property and take over full ownership of the property. I think it takes paying the property taxes for seven years before you can file the quit claim deed. If the person paying all the taxes has done so for 7 years or longer, and filed the quit claim deed, at that point the surviving heirs lose all interest in the property.

I dont know any of the circumstances in this situation, just throwing out some things that need to be considered before jumping to conclusions.

Most deals in the woods are made on a handshake. Treat the woodlot owner right and you will get the adjacent woodlot.
The problems go up exponetialy by the number of the people involved. That's why I always went it alone.
It's nothing more than a three way coperiation between the woodlot owner, the forester and the operator.
I never was a pig in the bush, I always thought about the next stand and the next cut.
I always made it a rule to leave more trees than I cut, however, like so much grass, it's growing faster than we can cut it down.
There is still a lot of wood out there, so lets look after it.
I thought you were a high grader. I believe you said, 5-10 exceptional trees per stand was all that you would take. Really looking out for the woods there gypo.

I thought you were a high grader. I believe you said, 5-10 exceptional trees per stand was all that you would take. Really looking out for the woods there gypo.
Nothing wrong with slipping in there and harvesting a few ripe pumpkins. So, lets get this straight, I'm a high grader, so that must make you a low grader who leaves all the high grade and just takes the goon trees? I've seen pics of your bushes, you'll take anything that will make a board, even if there is nothing left.How you been? Haven't seen you around in awhile. It was a red letter day today. A grizzly cub showed up in the yard today and I started peeling and plaining logs for another house. Pics should be forthcoming. Moose roast simmering on the wood stove with all windows open. 20 hrs. of daylight here now, but still 25 degrees F at night.

The property is joint ownership. The last thing I want to do is cause an issue within the family, but all I have asked for since the day I found out is a copy of the contract (told he does most of his work verbally), what sections of the land has been cut and how much has been cut. That shouldn't be hard to give, ya know, unless they have done more than admitted to so far. I am sending a certified letter to the company asking that they send me the documentation. If it doesn't work, then I guess a quick trip will be in store in a couple weeks. I will probably go anyway just so I can walk the land myself and see what all has been done.

I just wasn't sure if there were any documents in specific that I should ask for besides the contract. Someone mentioned tickets to me, but I haven't found what those are specifically yet.
I would put all this back on to your Uncle #1 does he own or have any say in to what can be done to/on what is your land?OK' ed legally by you or anyone laying legal claim to the area that has been cut #2 What are his legal holds over your land ( if any ) if non I would consider consulting an attorney with a view to straightening him out over the law a it stands & what he may or may not have sanctioned to be done on a plot of land that he no legal right if this the case Get a resolution's as it may get more involved & troublesome .

Nothing wrong with slipping in there and harvesting a few ripe pumpkins. So, lets get this straight, I'm a high grader, so that must make you a low grader who leaves all the high grade and just takes the goon trees? I've seen pics of your bushes, you'll take anything that will make a board, even if there is nothing left.How you been? Haven't seen you around in awhile. It was a red letter day today. A grizzly cub showed up in the yard today and I started peeling and plaining logs for another house. Pics should be forthcoming. Moose roast simmering on the wood stove with all windows open. 20 hrs. of daylight here now, but still 25 degrees F at night.
Sometimes it feels that way. Just to give finishing a job where we took everything. Clearcut for a gravel pit. Typically we leave four to five stages of growth in a woods. We cut out the junk as long as it's merch and we take high grade too. We leave high quality oaks for regen and their longevity. They will be there when I get back in 10-15 years. If they are over ripe we cut em. I'm ready to get the hell off this job I'm on. With what the Mills are paying hand cutters now it's getting close to a wash cutting for yourself unless you're in exceptional wood.

Sometimes it feels that way. Just to give finishing a job where we took everything. Clearcut for a gravel pit. Typically we leave four to five stages of growth in a woods. We cut out the junk as long as it's merch and we take high grade too. We leave high quality oaks for regen and their longevity. They will be there when I get back in 10-15 years. If they are over ripe we cut em. I'm ready to get the hell off this job I'm on. With what the Mills are paying hand cutters now it's getting close to a wash cutting for yourself unless you're in exceptional wood.
I'm sure you'll do ok Bitzer, even though prices still stay low for some grades.
Low prices have a way of weeding out a lot of would be operators.
As long as we adapt and keep costs and overhead low we can always make it through.
Someone once told me that you put your money where you make it,but I'm not sure I understood that statement.
At 63 I'm very happy to anounce that I can survive on 10g's a year which is only 7500 US, and quite proud to say so, even though I cut mostly firewood as of late.
Success may be all about downsizing, as I think less is more, just as half a loaf is better than none.

Back