Timberframe Barn build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should start a fund online where people can contribute $ to your project. It’s great watching the progress and seeing your son in a video was special because traditions like this should be passed down.
Thank you. I could go that route but I decided to do the videos instead. They let me share my project in a more detailed way plus I am making money towards the project a little at a time. The videos have also put some steam back into the project and helps keep it exciting. To a point I am itching to get more put up but something is always interrupting the project to a point where I get overwhelmed at times by how much is left to do and the other projects that get laid in my lap mostly by family.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Some more layout video. Haven't been able to touch the barn in weeks but I was able to get some older video up and loaded. I also got a chance to fix my mistake from the last segment today and film it, should be up by morning.

Way too long by hand! Bought it used and it's been worth every penny. Beam saw was a plus too.

I hope to do some timber framing as well, and I definitely want to find a good used chain mortiser. May I ask how you found yours?

I hope to do some timber framing as well, and I definitely want to find a good used chain mortiser. May I ask how you found yours?
I apologize, I got very busy this summer and didn't stop in here for awhile. I found my machine used on fleabay.

As promised, we have a new scarf joint to layout and here's the how to, no time lapses in this one.

Looks like the barn is coming along well. I follow your channel and just joined your facebook page. Good stuff. I want to do some timber frame g in the future so I'm in the learning phase right now. Hope to build a small equipment shed next year. Thanks for sharing.

Btw, I'm in Mexico NY just to your south.

Looks like the barn is coming along well. I follow your channel and just joined your facebook page. Good stuff. I want to do some timber frame g in the future so I'm in the learning phase right now. Hope to build a small equipment shed next year. Thanks for sharing.

Btw, I'm in Mexico NY just to your south.
I knew you were down that way. Let me know when you get ready to do your project, I'll help where I can. Don't be afraid to break out a camera, good to share this information as much as possible. It's making a strong comeback.

This is the cutting of an edge-halved and bridled scarf joint. This is the joint we laid out in the last video. This one is super easy to cut.

Sometimes while milling your own timbers you are going to get out of square on a piece. That is where square rule framing works to make it all for together properly.

Test fitted the scarf for the top plate last night. It went pretty well for the first one. So much easier to cut that scarf than the ones in my ties. The rest I'll cut on the saw mill, cut the time in half. This joint sure will solve my setting the top plate dillema.

Hard to make progress a couple of hours at a time but we are chopping away at it. Here's another one doing our edge halved and bridled scarf joint on the band mill.

Spent a day in the woods with the boy dropping trees for our timber frame project. It was a good day and a safe one too, can't ask for more than that. Enjoy the show.

Last night I started cutting the rest of the joinery in the top plates. Before the joinery could be cut I had to drill out the peg holes. We did this with a draw bore and some of you have had questions on how this is done.

Someday I will get these top plates set. Chipping away at the moment but making good progress. Was able to get a couple of plates ready to set last night, boy am I looking forward to the smaller timbers, not going to know what to do with them.

It's a goofy title but fitting. Getting these top plates up on the second floor without a tractor is a fun endeavor. It actually went much better than I thought it would.

Another small mistake that led to hours of fixing it. Showing the mistakes is part of the process, it would be easy to show just the good stuff but it wouldn't bring an honest view of a project like this.

Latest posts

Back