Time to remove?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbaker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a tree that partially hangs over my house that has developed a large crack in the trunk. It appears the decay is starting to travel up a few of the leaders as well. What do you guys think? Ideas? I would love to keep the tree as long as possible but if its time to remove its time. ThanksIMG_1999.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2001.jpg
    IMG_2001.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1998.JPG
    IMG_1998.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2002.jpg
    IMG_2002.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 39
I would call an arborist and have them look at the tree. I can't tell you if that crack is splitting all the way through the tree from a picture. The house is a pretty big target.

That looks very scary at first glimpse...but maybe (MAYBE) not as bad as it could be??? Is that crack a structural crack or is it just where the wood has cracked as it dried out? In-person exam is the way to go. Look for somebody who evaluates trees as a service - and expect to pay for that. Those bidding to remove the tree are going to tend to tell you it needs removed.

Another option may be pruning to reduce the weight/force???

I'd be very concerned now, even more so when it gets leaves on it in Spring (extra weight).

From what is in the pics I'd cut that one down, start again.

No, not a qualified arborist but think it's one tree waiting to fail and with the house / family
walking round under it, hope everyone stays safe.

I ended up probing the crack for depth and it travels at least through 50% of the trunk. A local company thought cabling could by me a few years. My concern would be having a tree held together by cables and resulting in a much harder, more expensive removal down the road. Any thoughts on the cable route?

I ended up probing the crack for depth and it travels at least through 50% of the trunk. A local company thought cabling could by me a few years. My concern would be having a tree held together by cables and resulting in a much harder, more expensive removal down the road. Any thoughts on the cable route?
Cabling WITH weight reduction pruning could buy you some time. Cabling will not make the removal more expensive down the road. It will also not be "holding the tree together" but reducing the amount of force on the crotch when the wind blows. Weight reduction pruning will reduce that force even more.
I love to see someone working toward saving a tree. There is some good compartmentalization going on there, but the target is the house.
Whatever you do I would do it quickly.

I wouldn't bother with an arborist. I would get on the horn pronto though! Get a team of scientists, geologists, physicists and maybe even a shiroptomist.

Latest posts

Back